Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got an Ender 3 from woot a few weeks ago and finally got around to assembling and playing with it.

I've had a lot of fun so far but I'm running into issues with the bed constantly. I've upgraded it to borosilicate glass which fixed the warping on the original bed, but now with the added glass weight it has a slight wobble which I think is responsible for some curling I'm getting on my prints. I've got some stiffer bed springs in the mail, so while I'm installing those hoped I can tighten the wheels to the track better.

Anyone have any other tips or things I should watch out for on the Ender 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, it curls off the glass but only on the sides on the axis it wobbles. I initially thought it was an adhesion problem but my glass is clean and it only loses adhesion on the left and right side, not front or back of the print.

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I did a big tool tray print overnight and it's really noticeable on it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The wheels on the bed assembly don't hold it perfectly on the track. If you push on either side of it, the entire bed will deflect in that direction.

I'd read that ideally, you don't need a surface other than glass to print on, but I also saw people talk about using glue sticks and stuff. I would like not to have to deal with that mess but if it's the only way then so be it I guess.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have not checked yet but I assume there's a way to adjust it. I only recognized this issue last night.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do you have to remove the glass to clean it off every print? And thus relevel? I hate leveling, but that probably just means I'll buy an autoleveler if I have to go that route.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Mine is definitely skewed at least a little. I noticed that last night too. After leveling, one side had the springs way more compressed than the other side, and the screws are visibly more exposed.

E: I went home for lunch and I took a quick look at my box from last night and it's just the corners that really popped up so I guess it probably is an adhesion issue after all.

I'm still going to fix everything else regardless, but I'll also try my next print with and without the glue stick to see if it helps.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 9, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy filament? I want to start tinkering with my printer again and my one spool is certainly bad at this point but looks like filament has gone the way of toilet paper. I don't care what color it is, I just need some 1.75 PLA.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The only real issue I had with my ender 3 out of the box was with bed adhesion and a glass sheet with PEI and printing with a raft has solved it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

So the only real issue you had with your printer out of the box was the most fundamental and frustrating problem that a 3D printer can have, gotcha

Also the easiest to solve. I'll take the common and simple to fix things over all the weird filament feed rate issues, exploding power supplies, and other crazy poo poo I've seen online.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

to be fair, you didn't really solve the problem if you require a raft for every print.

Fair point. It's not every print but more than it should be probably. I'm open to suggestions to further improve my bed adhesion. I level frequently and clean the pei sheet between prints. I've read roughing it up with 1000+ grit sandpaper helps too but haven't bothered to try it yet.

The other solution seems to be using a glue stick, but that seems to be on the same level of fixed as "use a raft"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been using 70% isopropyl alcohol pads but I'll give it a good wipe with soapy water too next time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wiped it off real well with dish soap and water on a rag, dried it off, then went over with a 70% alcohol wipe.

My print seems to be doing great now. No adhesion issues on the edge like it used to get. So hopefully this is my new winning strategy.

Thanks for all the help!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't speak from any kind of experience but could the PEI have been scrubbed off?

For what it's worth this is the sheet of PEI I purchased last year.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSJSDWR/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Jk0SEb7QZWBPG

e: That adhesion tho :discourse:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Make sure your power supply is set to 120 and not 240 if that's an option on it. I've read similar issues when people had theirs set wrong.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just installed the Ender 3 Silent board from Creality and holy poo poo. Other than the fans, the printer is completely silent. I have it right next to my desk and I can have it print while I'm working next week without having to worry about noise on conference calls or anything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That would be my guess. The separating side is too low so the filament isn't getting squished and spread like it should be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They're already out again it looks like :argh:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Could it be over extruding? Looks like your layers are a little smooshed together in the picture.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think I've just placed the order for upgrades that means I've now spent more on parts for my Ender 3 than the Ender 3 itself! Yay hobbies!

I see a lot of people bemoaning on YouTube that spending more on upgrades than for the printer is foolish and makes no sense and you might as well buy a Prusa or whatever but it's a good printer and I like tinkering :shrug:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

taqueso posted:

Do you have enough leftover pieces to make an un-upgraded ender?
Not yet but I'm well on my way.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

For sure. Double the cost of an ender is still half the cost of a Prusa, and with enough tinkering you can end up with an incredible machine. If I were to spend $750 on a printer now that I'm comfortable with their guts it would be probably be a enclosed core XY custom job of some sort with a large build volume. And I'd probably still end up under budget.

Already have an Ender 3? :v:

https://enderextender.com/

https://kay3d.com/products/kay3d-corexy-conversion-kit-mk2-based-on-ender-3

E: I may at some point in the future look into the Ender Extender. I don't need to print anything big yet but for $150 it sounds like a no-brainer upgrade if I needed to.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 15, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
God drat that Jessie transition filament came in stock again and sold out before I could finish getting through checkout.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Thermopyle posted:

Almost all upgrades to an Ender 3 are quality of life upgrades not print quality upgrades.

I think the line is kind of blurry between the two since any upgrade that improves your quality of life makes it easier and more likely to get higher quality prints. For example, auto bed leveling might be a quality of life upgrade because you don't have to level by hand anymore but also if your bed is automatically leveled every time you print your prints will be higher quality.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Blackhawk posted:

Got my Ender 3 pro yesterday and set it up last night, seemed to be pretty easy although I got worried when I tried jogging the extruder axis and it didn't move (not realising it won't let you do that without heating the nozzle first). I tried to print a benchy this morning with the little roll of PLA supplied with the printer but it was so brittle that it snapped in two places about a minute into the print and jammed the extruder up. I have a big roll of PETG that I'll try next but I need to go buy a big plastic tub so I can make a 'dry box' to keep it in before I crack it open. Initial impressions are good though, there was a lot I had to fix about the printer during assembly (mostly alignment of parts and tightness of all the rail wheels) but it seems really sturdy and fit for purpose.

I wouldn't worry about the drybox too much. I've been running a roll of hatchbox pla out in the open in my house for probably 2 months total now and it's had no issues yet. With that said I'm working on using it up as fast as possible now because it's time is limited, but if you've got a drybox on the way then I don't think a few days of open air exposure is going to hurt anything, and you're missing out on playing with your new toy!

Fwiw my little strand of white filament that came with my E3 was junk too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been happy with my Ender 3. The only real upgrade it needs is a glass/mirror bed. Make sure to go over your Z-axis assembly with a fine tooth comb to make sure it moves freely.

I think I bought mine drunkenly at midnight a year or so ago from Woot!

E: the only real upgrade mine needed was the glass bed, but as pointed out below it's sort of a case by case preference/issue.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's amazing how I consistently gently caress up leveling my bed despite having done it 1,000 times.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General_Failure posted:

It's easy. PETG is even easier. It's just a fraction beyond where the Ender 3 decides thermal expansion is what the cool kids are doing. My bed mat has a rectangle carved into it because of that. Today when I was setting it up for PETG I definitely did over 10 "rounds" before it started to act even. Then I knocked a wheel.

e: loving up I mean.

I didn't even think about thermal expansion but that's probably what it was. I use a calibration program that heats up the bed and moves the extruder point to point, but I'm trying to use some new filament (SUNLU PLA+) and I'm having to jack up my temperatures to get it to work decently, but didn't updated my calibration program :downs:

Finally got it leveled and working and came back after doing dishes to my extruder not moving at all and just sitting in a big blob of PLA 10% through the print. Didn't hear any stepper motors torquing or anything trying to move it so I'm not sure what the gently caress was going on.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 22, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I gave up waiting and ordered 3 regular rolls and then an hour later the transition rolls came in stock :negative:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General_Failure posted:

Remember how I forgot about the brim?
Got a couple more parts printed out with the brim no worries. Then was printing another. A couple of hours in the print started to sound a little "off". Then there was a light crunch and the hotend ripped the print off the bed, brim and all. Goddamn it. I'm using the "skin" tone 3DFillies PLA+. I know I've mentioned it before. It is an utter poo poo to print with.

The reason why I'm using their brand exclusively is purely availability by the way.

stevewm nice job! I've been curious, how badly does the body of the printer change with humidity and temperature?

I opened up a Sunlu PLA+ roll recently and I have the same kind of experience with it. Total garbage filament but it's what I could get. I can't wait until my Jessie filament arrives.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That is the angriest 3D printer I've seen

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My order of (Non transition :argh:) Jessie filament arrived today and holy cow this stuff is great to print with.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I need some TH3D help.

I have an Ender 3 with the Creality Silent board and decided to put TH3D on it. In the configuration file I un-commented the Ender3 line and the TMC_CREALITY_BOARD line for the Creality Silent board.

Everything flashed successfully and seems to be working for the most part.

However, when I select the AUTOHOME function it goes to home but then all the motors continue to try and operate once it's at home. I've run an M119 through pronterface and all my stops are working as they should be. If I autohome in pronterface I get the same issue where it finds home, but continues trying to operate the motors.

The weirdest part is that when it's autohoming. It navigates to the stop switches as it should, backs off a little like usual, and then slowly tries to descend without stopping again.

Googling returns nothing except people telling others to check wiring and use the M119 command. All of which I've done. This was working fine with the default firmware. All I did tonight was flash TH3D on it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Reflashed with TH3D this morning and autohome now works correctly. All I did different was use pronterface to reset the eeprom instead of the LCD menu. Not sure why that would matter but oh well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What the hell can cause this kind of bed leveling fuckery?

I've tried leveling it 3 times and I can't get rid of it. I think it might be the Y-Axis wheels being bad somehow. There's no real wobble in the bed. I had a clogged nozzle earlier and put in a new nozzle and then this started happening.

e: Actually after staring at it from above in the picture, I wonder if my Bullseye duct is touching the clip just barely and throwing things off. It doesn't look like it in person though.

E2: the clip seems to have been it.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 27, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Mine is also squeaking a little bit. I thought my stepper motors were going bad but it seems to be from the filament.

e: What settings is everyone using for the Jessie Filament? I'm at an extruder temp of 220 and bed (glass+PEI) temp of 65 and it's printing pretty well but my bed adhesion isn't perfect, and the first few layers look a little squished together.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 29, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Your bed could be warped so. Mine is. I fixed it by throwing a glass sheet on it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought some of these clips to try instead of binder clips. When they arrive I'll give the thread a review and since I had to order literally 100 of them to get them within a month, I'll send anyone that wants some some for the cost of shipping.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General_Failure posted:

There's something I can't work out. Is this just normal glass or something else? How thick is it?
Mine is 3-4mm borosilicate glass. It's what the good PYREX is made of. It's very strong and resistant to temperature changes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Blackhawk posted:

Seems like the stock bed on my ender 3 pro is warped to the point where the nozzle is so close that my extruder slips from excessive pressure at the edges and doesn't really stick down to the bed in the middle. Suggestions? Go to a glass bed? Higher first layer height? (currently 0.24mm)

This was an issue with my Ender 3 non-pro and a glass bed fixed it.

Although my issue was the opposite where the sides were lower than the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General_Failure posted:

I can what now? Holy crap!

I've got a question. I'm getting something like elephant's foot but in the occasional band going up through the model. It's a bulge, not an offset. It bulges all the way around, inner and outer walls. A quick measure says it's in irregular bands about 1.5mm tall. I'm stumped.

I had this issue on my Ender 3 and it was the Z axis binding ever so slightly.