Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I'm looking to get into small time hobbyist beginner 3D printing and the little research I have done so far led me to the Creality 3DŽ Ender-3 Pro. Watched a review and it seems good value for the money. The fact that you now can print soft rubber blew my mind a bit!
Should I explore this model more, or am I wasting my time and YouTubers are shills or something? I don't have any specific projects, but printing minor hard to find plastic car stuff would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^ I'll check it out. I'm not opposed to the price hike it's a better buy. Still pretty cheap.

Ok cool. Excited about getting into 3D printing. Next question, what filaments should I get as a starter kit while I'm ordering? I trust the filament included will be pretty limited in quantity.
The Creality 3DŽ Ender-3 Pro is pretty cheap, so I'll probably order it later today.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of ABS plastic (which would be interesting for me as I perhaps intend to make some car plastic parts), it appears as the bed of the Ender 3 V2 only gets up to 90 degrees, while the Ender 3 pro can get to 110 degrees which apparently is the sweet spot for ABS?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

insta posted:

It doesn't matter because the best material to print anything functional with is CF/GF Nylon, which can print on an 80C bed with just a MicroSwiss hotend.

Also skip the Formbot 2.4 kit. The V0 kit was good enough (not great) but they skipped too much on the 2.4.

Sagebrush posted:

CF-PETG is also good for when you want nearly as much toughness but the nylon is too flexible. Sometimes you can redesign the part and add stiffening ribs and whatnot, but sometimes you can't.

Also if he wants to make car parts I would suggest ASA, which was initially engineered as an ABS replacement with greater UV resistance, which could be important for car parts.

Ok, watched some YouTube videos and I'm sold on CF nylon, and that solves the ABS problem. Thanks! I think I'll start with the cheapest material to get the hang of it, and upgrade later on to a metal hotend so I can do nylon.

Edit: Ok Ender V2 ordered as well as some PLA and TPU do play around with once I get it. Down the rabbit hole we go!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 7, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I recently upgraded my Creality CR-10s with the Micro Swiss all metal hotend and direct drive extruder.
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/micro-swiss-direct-drive-extruder-for-creality/sk/MDZMAR3N

It works with a lot of the Creality models

It was really easy to install and I'm super happy with it. The product page says that there are fan shroud compatability issues with the Ender V2 but it links to a thingiverse page for an easily printable fix.

It comes with one of their nice coated brass nozzles but I also picked up a hardened A2 steel nozzle so I can start experimenting with the various composite nylon filaments like you plan to.

Cool. Bookmarked this for the future. Cheap to buy as well, so not that high of a barrier of entry neither.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok Ender 3 V2 arrived almost a week earlier than expected. Found the email in my spam folder. Anyway, assembled it and printed my first thing with the supplied PLA and standard settings. One of those calibration dice.

... man is this cool as hell. Turned out great as well. Now printing a platypus with the remaining PLA before I open up the PLA I bought.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Broke out the Amazon basics TPU roll and tried the squid in normal generic 95-settings in Cura. Standard resolution. Turned out drat near perfect.
Don't know if I need to on the Ender 3 V2, but I tried it with some hairspray on the bed and there were 0 adhesion problems. I'm really liking this semi-rigid TPU material. Going to use it for anything that needs to be able to flex, even a little bit. PLA is nice for like models of tanks (printed a small StuH tank that turned out great IMO). I printed a case for holding T12 solder tips in PLA and 1/3 into the print I realised that the small clips would probably snap the instant I tried to snap the T12 tips in them and sure enough. Sucks on a 7 hour print, but meh, learning curve.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That success post made me think that I should design a chain guard for my bike asap. Only a matter of time before I ruin my trousers.

Brims solved all adhesion issues on small parts in PLA for me. TPU is the only one that likes to "curl" it seems, but that was a for a big box thing. The octopus I printed came out near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
TPU doesn't make any scent as well in my limited experience. Anything harmful in that?