Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Would this be the right thread for CNC routers? It didn't seem like the best fit for woodworking thread. Are any of the home models (say under $2000) to the point where they can support a woodworking hobby vs being a hobby of "making this janky machine function" without much effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Look at his other designs lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ceive posted:

Remixing other people's stuff into something else is a pain in the rear end when it's a bunch of loose parts that have been hollowed out. The silver is what I found first. The gold is the final version after using someone's model kit and making a ton of my own adjustments.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3800333

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That's a pretty easy bridge to make with a small ball of solder/generous tinning on a small tip. Just be sure to have a good way to hold the board, and work from a comfortable position with good lighting. I have horribly unsteady hands and with good ergonomics soldering 0603 size stuff is easy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

never buy a soldering iron from a hardware store, they're overpriced shameful garbage and somehow worse than the ones from ebay

Yeah if you're going to be dealing with "maker" machines you need a temp controlled station for sure

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're doing this stuff paying $100-200 for a digital hakko or Weller is just the cost of doing business

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The key to enjoying your hobbies is to buy the good stuff up front so you maximize the fun per minute of your precious hobby time

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A school lab level Weller isn't top end gear, it's a step or two up from entry level and a good buy. If you're actually broke that's one thing but if you've got money and got hobbies you'll have a lot more fun with the stuff in that value for money sweet spot like the hakko or Weller stations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like pro grade hand soldering for maintenance and repair is a PRC 2000 or something

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/produ...qsaAoz5EALw_wcB

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

And this is an issue why?

It's like complaining that /r/ants is terrible because its just photos of peoples first queens.

I feel like being a "maker" and using the new tools often becomes this exercise in acquiring and setting up these things and then using them trivially to print the tugboat and make the Arduino blink a light or whatever, at least the guys with table saws and lathes build a chair once in a while.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Forget r/3dprinting and join r/functionalprint

That's cool to see. A lot of that stuff seems like it's so big and uncomplicated that I'd consider faster/cheaper methods but I don't have a good sense for how strong printed plastic is so I may be missing something

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does the software break down how much is used for support/raft vs print proper?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

Until I found r/functionalprints, I just assumed I was the only person in the word with a 3D printer that wasn't strictly printing model frogs, non-water-tight vases, and deadpool busts.

Tons of people out there printing maker tool parts at the very least, that's a great sub tho

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blender is completely baffling to me, sculpting vs normal cad breaks my dumb engineer brain

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

Ok I have to issue a formal apology to you guys:

I'm sorry I'm a loving dumbass.

I just got that digital soldering iron in the mail and holy loving poo poo is this thing awesome. It heats up in seconds to the exact temperature that I want and then stays there, and the tips just pop in an out also in a matter of seconds. This thing is loving sick and I'm sorry that I argued that the garbo $30 amazon specials were "just as good."

I'm glad it works so well, which one was it?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lead is a great material but man 3D printing would definitely bring out its worst traits. Been using lead sheets a lot at work as chafing gear on tubing, anything that's chafing goes from copper tubes with rubber to stainless tubes with lead.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is any hobby stuff gonna reliably hold 3 thou consistently?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Moving your custom moderately precise delrin fixturing in house is the exact use case for something like a Tormach right?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Should filament printers be enclosed as a matter of course or are they open for a reason or?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is running 3d printers lights-out common? How are people dealing with the fire hazard?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any false positives?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
For a filament printer what material am I looking at printing in if I need parts that can exist in temps of like 50-80C? Like hot car kind of temps. Is ABS the only option? I'm renting and can't easily vent to exterior.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

are you looking for things to put under the hood?

Not really. I just want something that can comfortably withstand 80C because it's sort of the upper bound on surfaces/spaces I encounter casually in a personal use kind of setting. Interested in what you'd use under the hood anyway though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Doesn't the nylon soften at like 52c anyway, where do you need a structural material that doesn't reach that temp

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still looking at printers for when I get done with my crazy work schedule this winter and have some free time in the spring, is there anything to be found at a higher price point than the Prusas that benefits the hobbyist? Like going from a ~$1k max budget to $2k?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now if they could make flame detectors that don't respond to a flashlight left on in your back pocket as you walk under it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

There's a story here that must be told

A lot of ships have them tied to automatic water mist systems and there's always one detector right over where people are likely to walk. If you have a big Flashlight Guy and he walks underneath with it on in his pocket, everyone rushes to check out the fire alarm just in time for a shower

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

The plastic feet on our cheap camp beds are broken which is a risk for the tent ground sheet. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the beds but before I got the printer I was facing buying 2 new ones. Now I can save the beds going in the landfill and the cost of 2 new beds for about £3 in plastic. Will post pics when in progress.

Cut open tennis balls for universal feet!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if you have a bunch to make, yeah, that's sensible- PLC plastic isn't super-cheap to tie up permanently in a bunch of cot feet, and it's a tool you'll need to buy vs. something you can make with what you already have.

(PLC is my #1 under-appreciated duct tape-calibre 1000-uses shop asset so I recommend people lay into a supply on all sorts of appropriate pretenses)

What temperature can it handle and how does it hold up to petroleum

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do the prusas handle nylon well with enclosure and proper humidity management?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
FDM is hella porous, it could provide a reservoir for diseases to hide out and grow and infect the wearer lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ordered a Prusa kit here in the pandemic hell age i hope it makes its journey across the earth

I meant to order one a month ago but felt bad because my wife decided not to make a similarly sized purchase, but then I got an overtime windfall of $prusa so gently caress it

serious edit:

what other stuff do I need for this?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

If you have filament you're all set. I'm assuming MK3S - the thing just works.

Make sure you have some IPA and Acetone as well (depending on what material you are using/if you're switching on one sheet). Some superglue is always good just in general. And enough tools to take the nozzle apart if necessary. (not sure if this is your first printer or if you'll already have all the stuff)

First printer but I have all the normal tools for stuff, do I need acetone for PLA?

I will make sure to stock up on filament.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sweet. Any parts or other non-filament consumables I should stock up on?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Forgive me if I've missed in the thread, but presumably you're doing this for some commercial purpose? It's a nice farm.

Plenty of things in TFR and AI that make a few Prusas look like pocket change but I was wondering too, it's super nice

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anything important can be manufactured conventionally in amazing speed and quantity if people get off their asses

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's a Reddit thread full of dudes defending that thing costing 11 grand lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Printer has shipped, so much for 1-2 weeks backlog on Prusa kits, it was only a few days. Looking forward to it showing up.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

seriously regretting not buying a Mars back before the pandemic, the pro is out of stock indefinitely, even the non-pro version is gone from canadian amazon and our dollar is plummeting fast enough that ordering from the US is getting pricier by the day. still think i'll go for it ASAP, probably gonna have a lot of time to kill in the next few weeks/months.

I didn't get one because I don't want to waste gloves on resin handling and I'd want to build a filtered enclosure which is also impossible rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine that even a pandemic would genuinely strain iso supplies in the long run. 3/4 of the market is industrial use iirc