Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, I'm about to fall into the rabbit hole that is 3D printing, someone stop me :cripes:

I'm pondering a new Ender 3 Pro (They're about $300-320 here in :norway:) or a slightly used Prusa i3 mk3 with a pi3 ($780ish USD). I can also pick up a used Prusa I3 mk2(s) with the MMU2S multi-filament upgrade for about the same, but I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction? Lots of complexity for a beginner...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mattfl posted:

Go with the Prusa i3 mk3 without a doubt. You can always add the MMU or get a Palette 2 later once you get the basics of single color printing down.

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about multi-filament printing, and it's just adding complexity I don't need at this point.

The one that's available used is a non-s, and he's charging an awful lot for it (I can get a mk3s kit for like $100 more, including shipping and import duty), so I'm going to ask if he has any leeway on his price, or if there's some stuff included that makes up for it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wibla posted:

The one that's available used is a non-s, and he's charging an awful lot for it (I can get a mk3s kit for like $100 more, including shipping and import duty), so I'm going to ask if he has any leeway on his price, or if there's some stuff included that makes up for it.

So the guy selling this is a retard and doesn't actually want to sell it, at least not for a reasonable price. Ugh. Craigslist is craigslist even if its called finn.no because :norway:

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I can give you a shout on jabber if you want anything answered about the mk3

Please do :toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp.

Wound up with a used Prusa i3 Mk2.5 with MMU2 (heh).

Slightly modified with MR9WN linear guides.

Finally got the fucker printing after messing around quite a bit. After a FW update, all was good.

Currently printing some leftover PLA that I got with the printer :v:

E: photo!

Wibla fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 13, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Motronic posted:

Isn't that the MK3 extruder? Looks the same is what is on mine. So maybe already upgraded to 3? Or was that also on the 2.5?

It's an Mk2.5 that was upgraded to Mk2.5S + MMU2(S) as far as I can tell. Still running Mk2.5 + MMU2 firmware.

It gets funnier.

Linear guides!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Just get a Prusa :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Did you miss the part where I got years of solid use out of this cheap thing and it only really failed when I pushed it to do something it was't designed for?

I'm already $1000 into a Voron 2.1 and only need the Wanhao to hold together a little longer.

Yeah I actually did. Sorry.

How much do you have left to finish your Voron?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just had to shim the brace from the PSU to the X-frame on my Prusa to get the Z-frame straight. Fun times. Doing another test print now, wee.

E: looks like the PSU - Y-part has twisted somehow. That's interesting. I guess no shim needed, but adjustment absolutely needed. Fun times.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 17, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I love that wireframe skull model. I made a huge one to keep my screwdrivers in.

I'm going to print a larger one later, it's pretty neat :shobon:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

porktree posted:

drat, my SA USB stick fell to pieces a couple of years ago.

Mine mostly sat on my desk or in a cup with various pens and poo poo for the longest time, didn't really use it much. It doesn't like USB3 ports though :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Running things made for 12V at 24V will generally end poorly, so don't do that.

Have you checked the resistance in the heatbed?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

So my printer fan died today. Went to amazon and looked for my favorite brown fan company. Turns out they dont make 24v fans, but everyone says to just use a 12v one. Im assuming its different because its only pulling a fraction of an amp?

What printer do you have? Some motherboards have lower-voltage headers for fans, as far as I've seen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I let my prusa sit with filament loaded into the MMU2 for a week and it got super grumpy. Not making that particular mistake again.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Flashforge black pla seems okay.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, that looks really good!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Try, what's the worst that could happen?

You won't necessarily get rich off of niche stuff, but you're not competing with every Tom, Dick and Harry :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AgentCow007 posted:

There's a series here about DIYing an i3 clone. It looks like a massive pain in the rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWLpvekby0

Personally I think he sounds like a dick, I would quote him $1000, order a Prusa kit, assemble it for him and keep the change.

I'd do this

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Just ordered some prusamemt galaxy black, I'll know how it prints in a few days :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They're fine, but take your time.

Follow the online manual, and read the comments people have posted.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think I need one of those...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Lol so I bought another printer. I have problems.

Which one did you buy?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

He'll, I have an mk2.5 with an mmu2 and I'm considering a mini...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

After a VERY rough start the 3d printed macro bot is starting to come together:
https://i.imgur.com/wgYnFCs.mp4

Woah, tell us more?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Looks like it was only along one axis?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sockser posted:

The presides benchy sits on a 45 degree angle so actually I think it’s both X and Y

Oh poo poo, yeah that's not great then.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It should also be pointed out that 3d printing is "buying a used boat and going out on the water as a hobby" level expense on an ongoing basis.

Also the acronym associated with doing that works (Break Out Another Thousand).

Uhm, no. Just no.

But by all means, have fun in your dinghy :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

N17R4M posted:

Hello printgoons. I'm looking to expand our workshop's tooling to include a cheap-ish (sub 250 euro) printer. We have a 3d printer company to mass manufacture parts for us, but the turnaround for protoypes and general tinkering has been so slow (one product's been delayed for about three months) that I've snapped and learned to use FreeCAD to make the designs myself (because I hate backseat designing), and now I need something to turn them into plastic.

Is the Ender 3-Pro what I want? On paper its specs seem to fit my criteria. I've read about 60 pages of thread, the Ender 3s come up a lot, but a lot of people also say they are duds. My question is, are they duds because people assemble them wrong/because they try upgrade parts? Because I've also seen many satisfied people using it stock with no upgrades.

Edit: Random friend suggested an Anet A8. Anyone have experience with those?

If you can stretch it to a bit over €300, I'd go for a Prusa Mini instead.

E: Holy poo poo, the backlog on new orders is now up to June, ouch, might want to look into an ender 3 pro instead :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hubis posted:

Did someone already share the thing about Prusa retooling to make hand sanitizer?

Wait, what?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If they don't defend their patents, they lose them. So they have to at least be seen as defending them. lovely situation all'round. I'd be very surprised if they actually sued.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

EVGA Longoria posted:

That’s Trademarks and Copyrights. They can absolutely grant licenses to patents on whatever criteria they want, including blanket agreements.

They’re patent trolls. They get no sympathy.

Oh, gently caress them then.

evil_bunnY posted:

My good bitch, please stay quiet when you're not familiar with the subject.

O-kay.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

armorer posted:

I have two gallons of denatured alcohol in the basement. That should kill it.

Just because your moonshine is bad doesn't mean it's denatured! :downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deviant posted:

The 3D Printing Megathread: It Caught Fire Again

Not emptyquoting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I print PLA at 210-215 on my mk2.5, seems to behave well enough.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ABS is a massive ballache, it's not something I would buy to "fiddle" with at all. PETG is fine if you need higher temperature tolerance.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, I guess I'm buying a Mini+

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rapulum_Dei posted:

One of us, one of us.

I already have a modified Mk2.5S with MMU2S... :downs:

It's generally pissing me off with the MMU poo poo, and the mk3/mini generation is just plain better, and quieter too.

(+ I don't think I'll have much of a problem selling my old 3D printer for about what I bought it for...)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I look forward to reporting on the Prusa mini+, when it arrives in 2-3 months :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Recycled PLA is best avoided. Even bottom barrel new PLA filament will be more consistent and print better.