Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered an Anycubic Mega-S with plans to print terrain for Tabletop games as well as stuff for Gloomhaven and other boardgames, so I'll probably be asking lots of questions over the next few weeks!

I plan to print mostly with PLA and I've got a starter roll coming as I hear the one that Anycubic ships with the printer is absolute garbage. I will be printing in a cold basement though, probably around 16c on average. Should I be planning to build an enclosure just because of the temperature issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I have never heard of "too much cooling" being an issue with PLA as long as the printer can melt it.

I thought that I had read that cooler/damper conditions were less ideal?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Cool, good to know, thanks.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Another newbie question, PLA filament from Hatchbox seems to be the gold standard but are there other brands to try out? I see good reviews on AMZ3D and it's about $7CDN less a spool on Amazon.ca

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Hello fellow canadian, buy "EconoFil" filaments from filaments.ca.

e: Their other filament is good too, but the EconoFil line is the cheapest you'll find anywhere.

e2: drat, the PLA is sold out again

Oh I'll check it out, thx.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Test print underway:

My wife and kids are surprisingly excited and they are all surfing Thingiverse for things they want me to print for them. Going to set up an enclosure and Octoprint box as I expect I'll be running it 24/7 for a while

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any reason that Anycubic would be worse than any other brand for fire risk? I'm thinking enclosure with a fire alarm hooked to a relay that will kill the power just in case.

Edit: Obligatory Benchy

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 25, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yikes. Is it made of crumpled cardboard?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what is causing my first layer to be so thin an wispy, especially in the corners:

Hasn't really been an issue as the subsequent layers fill it in, but on a print last night with a wide flat base, a corner pulled up towards the ends of the print and I wonder if it's related?

Anycubic Mega-S, PLA from the box (I know it's not great), .2mm layers, 60mm speed, 60 degree bed, 200 degree extruder.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Your extruder is probably just a hair too far away from the bed. Adjust its zeroing or babystep the first layer down about a tenth of a millimeter.

Will try it on another print tonight. Thanks!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Grabbed a Pi 3B+, a Webcam and a SmartPlug to setup Octoprint. Any other must-have plug-ins people are using? I was hoping to find some way to use a smoke detector to trigger a power cutoff, but I'm not seeing anyone having done that yet.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Rex is the bane of my printer. Finally got a first few layers to adhere and the tail split right at the end...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

The bed is too low in that corner. Loosen the adjustment wheel by about 1/4 turn.

You are the second person to suggest that, which is odd because I was sure it was good there.

Maybe a warp in the Ultrabase? I'll check the area.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I see what you mean. I'll relevel the base before my next attempt.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Snackmar posted:

AMZ3D makes good regular PLA, eligle for next day Prime. CC3D makes PLA in shiny colours like silk gold, also eligible for Prime.

I have some AMZ3D stuff but the spindle hole is too small to fit on my holder :/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

Thankfully you have a 3D printer and can fix that.

Miracles!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about PTEG. Does it print like PLA? Any advantages to it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I still have a lot to learn, appreciate the details.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Releveled my bed after moving the printer and adhesion seems much better now. Didn't realize it had become so out of whack.

Typically do you relevel the bed after a certain number of prints?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Much better adhesion since I leveled the bed on my Mega-S again.

Giving it a good test today, the roof of this 28mm scale cottage is printing upright supported by the sides. So far so good:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Finished this morning, 28mm scale medieval stone cottage:

AMZ3D White PLA, .12mm layer height. About 24hrs print time and 60m of filament. Any advice on improvements that look obvious or does it look like I'm dialed in?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not terribly noticeable in person but it's definitely not smooth on the faces of the stones.

I'll have to read up on how to set the belt tension, etc...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

THERE she is. The picture illustrates how it functions, its a very simple part to model yourself too.

Ah, I'll give it a shot. The Z axis is all direct drive so I imagine that's fine, but I'll give it a shot on the X and Y. PLA is probably strong enough?

Edit: Checked the belts now that I'm home and they seem pretty tight. I can strum them like a guitar string and get a low note.

I'll try those anyhow and see what happens.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 6, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Copied from Reddit, looking for advice.

I purchased any Anycubic Mega-S through Amazon and I've been happy with it, but at two weeks old the front bearing or stepper motor is grinding badly. Nothing is slipping yet but it's downstairs and I can hear it grinding upstairs. I love the ultrabase on the unit and the out of the box setup on it but I'm debating what to do next.

Since it's Amazon I'm planning to just send it back for a refund or replacement. Now that I know a little bit more about printing and have some experience in debating the same model or something else. Ideally something with good community support would be preferable since things like slicer settings are not really available for the Anycubic.

I'm printing terrain for wargames mostly but would like try figures at some point. Ideally something out of the box that doesn't need upgrades right away would be best.

Should I just bite the bullet and get a Prusa mk3s? It's twice the price and then some but support and quality send to be the best. An Ender 3 or CR-10/20 seem to hit the community support angle the best but I almost always see people upgrading the steppers and bed immediately.

I'm in Canada, I'd like to stay under $700 and stick with FDM for now. I don't mind assembly but ideally no soldering.

I'd love some advice, thanks!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Tell them to get any of the Monoprice printers?

How is community support for them?

It's my post btw, just noting that I copied it here.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

Community support is there. The maker select and select mini were the Ender 3 of popularity, before the ender 3 came out of course. I can't really recommend the Maker select V2 though, It's really bad for the bed mosfet dieing. Adding a seperate mosfet is almost mandatory if you want the heated bed to keep working.

I'd likely steer towards the ender 3 if you wanted budget, but still good. From what I've read, the only real needed mods is the PTFE tube fittings, and making sure you have a legit XT60 connector for the hotbed.

You know I just don't want to make a half measure here again so gently caress the budget. Ordered the Prusa.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Assembling my Prusa tonight and gently caress captive nuts in plastic parts forever. Hard as hell to align and even using the 'screw pulling technique' isn't a sure fire method.

I just loving rounded out the enclosure for a hex nut in the extruder body using the technique. Now I get to wait for customer service to get my email on Monday and hope I can get the part and all the nuts I already installed in it replaced.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Only issue is I still have the screw in it. If I super glue it I'll glue the screw to the nut anyhow. It rounded off during the pulling process and it's stick in there.

I do have friend with printers though so maybe I can that. Are these parts printed with ABS or PLA?

Edit: Dripped some super glue on there, will try and get the screw out in the morning. At this point it can't hurt to try.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 17, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Didn't cross thread, the nut just tore up the plastic as it was being pulled in and then rounded it out. I can drill out the screw I guess.

Have to see if there is a spare 20mm screw in the bag. Super glue didn't work.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm getting a new part shipped out from Voxel. Apparently it's not an uncommon occurrence. They just needed a photo of the part to make sure the right one was sent out.

As for cross threading, I'm sure it's entirely possible but I didn't think I applied enough force to cross thread the nut. Maybe I did. I'm not saying it's impossible.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the replacement extruder body for my MK3S last night, and spent four hours finishing my build.

Ran off Benchy and the difference between the Mega-S and the Prusa is amazing. So glad I bit the bullet and upgraded. Printer is quiet as hell too.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Newbie here. Fillet?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm having good results with AMZ3D.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Bought a roll of rainbow filament

Expectation: gonna get a cool print with a wild gradient going on like in all these example photos

Reality: I printed a yellow thing, then I printed a pink thing

Yeah I did a yarn bowl for the wife and you need to up your infill. The filament only changes colours every 20m or so I'd guess.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My Mk3S is being a dick. Spool got stuck and couldn't feed, now the extruder is doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpJZeeZmtY

Jam? Stripped Bondtech gear?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just crank the temp and push filament in?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

Can you manually push filament through? It almost sounds like a jam in the video

Good call, I'm new to all this stuff so I wasn't sure what I was dealing with.

Had to do two cold pulls and adjust the idler tendon but it seems to be running now.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

Check the grub screw on the bondtech gear for the extruder motor as well. I don't know how but it seems like that thing manages to get loose every time I have a feed related problem.

Seems like it's okay but I'll check it after this next print job.

I think I had the idler way way overtightened before.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, So I've changed filament, and the new on, though supposedly the same make, is much more translucent.

The issue im having is that the very first part of each new extrusion is not sticking to the bed, once its been going for a second it sticks like a rock, but the first bit of the first layer circles back of the bed - then catches on the hot end and you know where that goes.

What setting am I looking for to fix this? the beds level, its just that first bit that comes loose every time it starts a new extrusion, and its driving me mad.

What temp is your bed for the first layer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

60 degrees.

Bump it to 70.