Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I need some help.

My prints keep getting all wispy and junk. Doing some googling, I've tried different software, adjusting temps up and down, I've re leveled the bed, but for about half a spool, all my prints have come out looking like this:

They're all squishy and crumble apart. I'm about at the end of my rope trying to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There was definitely a jam. Cleared it with some unsheathed wire I've got and extruded manually until black charred stuff stopped coming out, diameter looks much better.

Still having some issues on the bed. Cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and the spatula it came with and picked up some glue stick. It was loving up pretty consistently in the same spots, so maybe I got too aggressive cleaning.

Re leveled, and now I've got this going for me on the brim:

Still kinda lost. First issue in 3 months of having the thing, so it's being a bit of a bear trying to figure this one out.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ahh gotcha, I'll get a few spare nozzles. Well while I'm at it, I'm picking up a glass bed. Anything else I should look into picking up?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm using PLA (is Hatchbox garbage?), I think I have found the culprit:

One of those things that I hadn't noticed until I did and it looked too perfect to be out of place until I took the thing apart. How do I fix that/what's it called? The manual that came with this is less than precise. Just calls the whole thing "Mk 11 extruder".

Gears are looking pretty good, if a little dusty. Teeth are still pretty sharp, though. I'll pick up some extra gears as well in case my scrub opinion is incorrect.

Also taking suggestions for quality of life purchases/upgrades

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I changed it in Cura, and I can't get the Prusa Slic3r fork to say anything besides "Error: attempt to print outside print area" when I try to get something from there going, so I think I'm going to have a beer, read my book, and order replacement hardware. If any Slic3r wizards are around, hints would be helpful there as well

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I, one zillion percent, am not running the Teflon tube. That makes sense looking at it now. I guess I'll just be replacing that whole assembly then huh?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It took a month and quite a lot of upgrades, but I finally got my Monoprice Maker Ultimate to print PETG nicely. What an upgrade over PLA, I can't wait to get some bigger projects going with it.

The Micro Swiss all metal nozzle upgrade and the retention upgrade got the extruder have made such a difference. I've never felt so pleased with my prints!

I just wanted to share my little triumph with y'all.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The glass beds that I keep getting for my Monoprice Maker Ultimate keep breaking when I have a large surface area PETG print. Just part of the glass flakes off. Useful for arrowheads, not so much for my prints.

Any tips? I came across an article that said to use a screen protector, but I can't find one that covers my whole bed.

Any help or pointers would rule.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dessert Rose posted:

What kind of glass are you using? Borosilicate works the best for quite a few reasons.

This is what I got most recently, appears to be borosilicate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFOI2VS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_TYmdAb27389RQ

tuyop posted:

Is it sticking too hard?

I think so, while my print was cooling, I could hear it cracking the glass bed. I feel like I'm right on the edge with build plate adhesion. I guess it's a risk of large surface area builds, but that's also kinda the reason I bought this printer.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

tuyop posted:

Put a bit of PVA glue on the glass first. Just a glue stick. It reduces adhesion.

I thought it improved adhesion, I had been using it on PLA, but I'll give it a shot on PETG.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The best tip I saw for it was to have an ending gcode that kept the bed heater warm until you removed the print and manually turned the bed off.

45-50C.

The problem is that the PETG print holds heat longer than the glass, so when the glass cools it cracks against the still-hot PETG.

How be would I go about this with Cura?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It does both.
It creates a layer that sticks to the bed and to the print...but it's much easier to break the bond between the glue layer and the bed than it is to break the bond between the PETG and the bed.

Awesome! Luckily I have tons of glue sticks left to play with!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I didn’t find out until this week that automatic bed leveling is a thing. Who knows how many hours and pounds of filament such a feature would have saved me :negative:

I think, though, that the experience with the Monoprice Maker Ultimate is that for the next printer, whether that’s in one year or two, I should be willing to shell out. It’s frustrating spending a month on one print to make sure that the settings for a new material are alright, when I kinda need to be making prototypes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's been a good 8 months or so with my Monoprice Maker Ultimate, but it seems like it hates PETG even after a couple of upgrades, like the Micro Swiss all metal hot end.

For doing actual prototyping and not to have one as a gadget, what's the best way to go? I do need to print with PETG for thermal properties (not good enough ventilation for ABS & nylon is super pricey as far as I can tell).

The ones that I've found so far are the Prusa i3 (I can hold out for the Mk 3, the extra features are nice), Lulzbot Taz V6, and Flashforge 3D Printer Creator Pro.

I'd like to keep it under $1,500. I'm just real tired of loving with the Monoprice Maker Ultimate. I think I've spent more time tinkering with it than printing with it at this point and I actually need to make poo poo out of these things. Things like auto bed leveling are cool, and anything else that helps automate setup/maintenance/troubleshooting would really rule.

I super duper appreciate the help!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Megabound posted:

Out of those 3 machines, the Prusa hands down. The creator pro won't hold a candle to it.

Nice! Are there any other machines that might be worth looking into up to that $1,500 mark? I'm not trying to spend a ton of money, but the more actual print time I can get out of my machines the better.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

As for prototyping, I make test prints in PLA and then the final print in Alloy910. This keeps cost reasonable and Alloy910 is the easiest nylon to print with.

Oh interesting, do you use it for any electronics based stuff? The glassing temperature of PETG at 80C is really good for me, but I would be willing to look into it. Losing colors will probably be something I'll regret for personal projects, but if it means I can keep the process moving for work, I'll take it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Does anyone have any info or resources on the Creality DLP resin printer? A colleague got one and my personal FDM printer bit the dust. We have a Prusa in the office, so picking up an SLA printer for that boosted fidelity seems pretty ideal.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Rexxed posted:

Naomi Wu did a little project with it and showed setting it up. She works for Creality now so it's not an unbiased look at the printer but it seems to be similar to a lot of the recent lower cost resin printers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN1DICOnxCs

Thanks! Totally works as a starting point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NeurosisHead posted:

Oh man Prusa with another big announcement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXmtCFBtXg

Hoooooly poo poo. Okay, gonna save up for that instead of the Creality. That's a huge print area, too (400*237*225mm)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

goodness posted:

print area size of 120 × 68 × 150 mm

Oh I'm a dingus. That's what I get for being excited before coffee.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've had an FDM printer of one kind or another for 3 years. As my work has progressed, I've been able to get away with smaller and smaller build volumes. I needed an emergency replacement printer, so I went with an Anycubic Photon.

Are there any good resources to learn resin based printing basics? I decided to run a part that got 2/3 of the way through and quit the print. There was some skin in there that I skimmed out and the part didn't look 100% right.

No leaking, so no broken plastic film. I restarted the work with longer exposure times, and aside from making sure the bed is level I'm not certain if there's anything else to do.

Any links or tips would be well appreciated, thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: my getting started with the Anycubic Photon:

The default settings in ChiTu Box DLP Slicer (and the one included in the USB stick in the box) are apparently real bad, even if you load in the profile for the Anycubic Photon.

Changing the base layer setup to a raft and doubling the exposure times has given me something presentable. I bumped them up even a little more and I'm running a print overnight. Hopefully the thing will be good to go and I'll have dialed it in with just a handful of attempts.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Acid Reflux posted:

Sorry to hear you're having a little bit of trouble, but thank you for posting these kinds of updates - my Photon will be here Thursday. Information about what's not working for you is potentially more useful to me right now than anything else. Y'know, 'cause it's all about me. :)

Don't know if you might have seen it already or not, but a guy named Flint Read made a video about his build plate leveling method, which apparently is the preferred way for a lot of people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roAqm5c3rfU

Some other folks have made similar slightly higher-quality vids of the same thing as well.

I also ran across this Google Docs spreadsheet of various resins and some suggested baseline settings for them:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1crvzMnt_8NJXAsABinoIhcOjE8l3h7s0L82Zlh1vkL8/htmlview?sle=true

I'm hoping to press print -> receive bacon with mine, but if it's anything like the last couple of "fun project" things I've tried, it's going to be a poo poo show at first. Ask me about my laser cutter! please don't ask me about my laser cutter :(

These were not the most helpful. I'm calling in some backup to see what the problem might be.

I'm having some wild dimensional variation, and my inkling at this stage is that my zeroing could use work and/or I'm going to have to replace my film because it either came hosed or I hosed it somewhere along the way. Could be a screen thing, too, but I wicked hope not. Could be the resin and I might borrow some from a friend.

Something that is infuriating is that Z axis 0 != Home, and befucking my only available axis is really not my steeze. I think the software is designed FOR people who want to press button and receive bacon, but it's not there yet even with all their resin and settings.

The spreadsheet settings are also way off from what I'm able to get working, and it's been a pain. I'm hoping my unit is strangely bothersome because I do seem to be the only person having this much trouble.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I haven't, that's very useful and not something mentioned in the reviews I had found.

Thanks! I'll see how it goes tomorrow and keep the thread updated.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

One other really great thing for SVGs and Fusion 360:

You can import an SVG onto a face and in the "Manufacture" space use the "Engrave" function.

Hit "simulate" and then you can save the engraved stock as an STL to 3D print. This would have saved me hundreds of hours on some projects last year, so hopefully it'll do the same for y'all!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah, very glad that tip helped! Finally, I can use my powers for good.

armorer posted:

So this is actually quite relevant for what I need as well. I need to make some small components from clay, so my plan was to 3d print one, make a 2 part silicone mold of it, and then use that repeatedly. It would be useful for me as well if I could print a tpu mold directly. I assume it's fairly trivial in fusion 360 to make a short rectangular solid? Then I could just engrave the svg in the top of that.

Yep! There are an awful lot of ways to do it. Check out basic sketches and extrusions, then with that SVG engraving on top of the rectangular prism you get you should be good to go! Don't forget to make some registration marks.

Update re: Anycubic Photon: I have tightened down my FEP screws (they, like me, were shamefully loose). I also did not realize that to level the bed you need to hit Move Z > Home > Adjust > Z=0. I was just going straight to Move Z > Adjust > Z = 0. I am not a smart man. Seems to be going OK, and I'm very excited to get some more work done on there.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FINALLY getting some adequate prints out of the Photon.

Replaced the FEP, tightened it a lot, learned to level correctly, changed resin, and really really slowed down movement speeds. My exposure times are kinda ridiculous, but I wanted to eliminate all the other factors one at a time. Currently coming down to 30 seconds per normal exposure layer.

I think it was finally the resin, but we'll see. It'll be nice to get dimensionally stable prints out.

Other fun software thing I learned for other folks who want to make dice: Rhino 3D has a plug-in that'll make polyhedra. Normally Rhino is a $1k software, but you can evaluate it for 30 days for free, make one of everything, and export your creations (as STP files for Fusion and any number of mesh/spline formats for other software) to edit as you please elsewhere.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Failson posted:

The Anycubic Photon, and Monoprice Mini SLA/Duplicator 7 are both under $300.

Also there's apparently a newer, better Photon, still under $500.

Any experience comparing these? I know there are some Photon users on the board.

I'd like to upgrade from my Monoprice mini 2

I'm liking my Photon a LOT when it works, but I'm an idiot and can't always get it to work. Rant on how I'm an idiot:

I misread directions on how to level it and that took multiple frustrating days to figure out. I've been troubleshooting another issue that I think comes down to the cleaner I'm using which isn't supposed to air dry, it's supposed to get washed after every use and like what the gently caress.

I've learned never to follow the YouTube people on this machinery. CNC lathes, mills, and routers? Singing. All day all week. For whatever reason I have stupid disease for 3D printers and check what YouTube tells me and it befucks my printing ability.

I deep cleaned my Photon and I may even replace the FEP again for good measure. Please only use YouTube for safety tips (wear nitrile gloves) and be careful not to contaminate your vat.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be looking at different leveling methods, but it seems like I'm getting it down. A friend and colleague runs a print farm and he's been an enormous help with his experience from a few other models.

I do genuinely think contamination from solvents has been a key player. Hopefully that'll be a good refinement move after I'm back to more consistent prints.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Did you check for any non manifold edges in meshmixer or anything?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I checked in 3D Builder and clicked the Fix now button; would MeshMixer catch other issues?

Edit: I have opened it now in Meshmixer, what do I do now?

I haven't used 3D Builder before, so I can't really say. Can't hurt to take the exported STL and check in meshmixer?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Anycubic Photon works great out of the box with ChiTu Box DLP settings. It truly was contamination. And that pausing a print to check on it has a fair chance of completely loving it.

I've got prints coming out great now. I was so ready to deal with a lot of loving around that I completely missed the possibility that it works great out of the box.

Meshmixer supports are working pretty well also! I'm on my third print today with them and I get delightful snaps for the first several layers. The black Anycubic resin is awesome.

It's so much easier than FDM printing in my experience (especially at the price point) that it's kinda worth all the extra post processing, even to an amateur user.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

MustardFacial posted:

Better source out a safe spot in your house where you can put the thing without being subjected to toxic fumes. Also get some nitrile gloves, a gas mask, an ultrasonic bath, a UV curing oven, and some safety glasses.

The post processing required for SLA printing looks like a huge pain in the rear end.

Honestly I thought that, too, but once I got consistently good prints coming from the machine, it's practically nothing. Certainly no more hassle than removing PLA supports. It's a lot of waiting around.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Meshmixer makes some pretty Mangrove level forestry on the base of my prints, gets a little shiny in spots even after a cure. Getting into the nooks and crannies like that could be a benefit?

Not necessary, just beneficial.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Strong second on that - ChiTu Box is great and has a good built in profile for the Photon. I just increased my base layer times to 100 seconds and normals to 10 seconds to be safe for my own neurotic reasons

E: do your own supports on top of the auto ones.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Failson posted:

Ordered the Photon on Amazon. Will give my Monoprice mini 2.0 to some friends that want to try printing.

Meshmixer and ChiTu Box. Got it.

Any recommendations on finishing? Clean print with alcohol -> UV lamp -> snip supports and sand?

Is the UV lamp step a necessity?

Also, anyone tried a more flexible resin? Something rubbery, like Keshi or old MUSCLE figures?

What Jassi said - meshmixer supports come off really nicely after the bath before the cure.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is ‘your raft is too tiny and peeled off’ I guess? I’ve seen people recommend sanding the build plate for better adherence, anyone tried this?

I've generally had better luck with cylindrical rafts (the "none" shape) than the skate shaped ones. I'm ChiTu Box, you have to manually set the geometry of light, medium, and heavy supports independently.

What's your bottom exposure time? I bumped mine to 100 seconds just to be safe

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mikey Purp posted:

You can also mod your photon with a heated resin vat without too much trouble if you wanted to, but the auto calibration of the SL1 is a very nice upgrade. Speaking of, after continuous issues with my Photon that were getting increasingly weird and tough to diagnose, I ended up just returning it to Amazon and getting an ePax instead.

So far I'm extremely happy that I did. It feels even more sturdy and well-built than the Photon and has some nice quality of life features like the fully opaque chamber (save for a dark brown window on the front), a lid with hinges that allow it to open directly upward meaning you can still open it when the machine is flush against the wall, and an upgraded Z axis that eliminates the potential for wobble. Best of all, it came perfectly calibrated and ready to print out of the box. I've already done 7 or 8 things with it and haven't had any failures aside from one that was due to my error placing supports. It also works with all of the add-ons and calibration tools of the Photon, so you still get the benefit of a huge support community. All in all I'm loving this thing so far. Will post some pics of prints later on.

Very cool! That's going in my recommendation list for folks who want something running out of the box (and don't have the budget for a pre assembled Prusa).

Thanks for that write-up!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Polyjet/Objet machines and jobs are pretty expensive, but you can do some really neat poo poo with them. They've got layered color settings, I should take a few photos at work of what they can spit out.

I think the neatest thing is that they can do optically clear prints. Combine that with the colored printing and you can do some fun and useful things.

I hope they mentioned some of their high temp (Ultem and PEEK) applications. Those high heat deflection materials along with metal make for some good high performance applications.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been really enjoying the Anycubic Photon. The community support and documentation around it has been great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

armorer posted:

$220 and a small build area are totally fine for what I'd use it for. Some minis if I had it on hand, and jewelry components on the order of a few cubic centimeters max.

How much do I need to worry about ventilation? I have some housemates, and the printer would likely live in a mostly unused room which just has an open doorway to the rest of the house. There are no windows in there which I can open. I could put it elsewhere though, if I need to have an open window and a fan running.

I've had it on my stove under the hood because otherwise it's wicked smelly across the standard and ABS-like resins I've been using. I'm going to be making an enclosure for it that'll sit on the windowsill, seal, and exhaust out the window because it's driving my partner crazy.

mobby_6kl posted:

Same. The Photon was like $220 a week ago and I finally pulled the trigger after looking at 3d printers for years. The only real downside is the small print volume which shouldn't be an issue for you. Though obviously much more expensive printers would be even better but at the price it's hard to complain.

My grandpa is a huge tankie so I made him this as a joke birthday present. First attempt, no post processing other than a coat of paint.

And apparently you can print directly using castable resin to skip the whole wax step

I've got something for you, and I'll work in a kiln:

https://tethon3d.com/product/ferrolite-iron-resin-500ml/

I'm fully 'gized to see if I can pick a bottle up for ???? Dice? Hood ornament buttplugs? The world is my oyster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Based on the guidelines, it looks like it's still magnetic, so I imagine it's still conductive for most purposes. Seems like it's pretty much just iron metal injection molding, and plenty of MIM products are used in electrical pathways.

I'm hoping I can get a client to pay for some in a project to get some time with it.

The hardest part might be finding a kiln and having some separate cleaning apparatuses for it since it doesn't seem to like other resins. Checking around at some local shops and Maker spaces, some pretty cheap kilns can hit the right temp.

Should be able to be powder coated or Cerakoted to seal it up to prevent rusting, too.