Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just got an ender 5 plus in (or rather my dad did but I've been the one using it so far).
It has been giving me nice prints of stuff I'd never have been able to make otherwise, but I've recently been having a problem where the printer seems to start extruding a bit early. That puts a blob of cooled plastic at the tip which doesn't stick, making the print miss thr first bit of extrusion and thrn leave a blob which will rip everything up--the last couple times I've been able to quickly rip it free and then jt was fine. The raft was missing a bit of the base but it didn't matter. I don't think I was having this problem earlier. I tried preheating the nozzle, letting it sit and wiping off what came out, and then retracting the filament by 5mm, but while it improved things a bit it still started extruding a bit before it moved into position.
Anyway this is super addictive and I've been having a ton of fun with it these first couple days. I couldn't believe my first design and print worked (though thr IDs came out a bit small for some reason, was very easy to file down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have made a variety of camera/microscope adapters on my ender 5 plus. Getting threads sized right is a little tricky but I've eventually gotten them to work and been pretty happy with the end result. So it's going to depend on what types of parts you want to make.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

For something that needs to connect to, say, a filter ring you'll want a resin printer, because an FDM can't make threads that fine.
My ender 5 can do m42x1 and even m50x0.75 no sweat. You just have to account for inner diameters printing a bit tight.

There are some threads that might come up in photography (at least with more peculiar stuff) that likely just won't be addressed by off-the-shelf components. Last week I printed an m44x0.75 to m42x1 and an m50x0.75 external m42x1 internal adapter for my microscope--my only other option would have been having something custom machined (which isn't insanely expensive with companies like RAFcamera, but not cheap and has a long lead time). Then again this is for an application where they just have to stay vertical and aren't carrying much weight at all so ymmv.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 7, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My ender 5 has been doing just fine on printing custom microscope components for me. Definitely better than toy grade even though I haven't messed with dimensional calibration at all.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Point is there are tons of professional tasks that don't require the above engineering grade tolerances and for which a consumer 3d printer is more than adequate.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Let's say that mine has been perfectly sufficient within the tolerances of a Harbor Freight digital caliper used somewhat haphazardly.

Being able to get something like this adapter done all in one day was really nice (m37x1female thread on one end and an 18.5mm inner diameter with set screws on the other).

I don't think I could measure those dimensions with a tape.
These things are a bit too annoyingly specific to have an off the shelf solution and having a one-off made would be relatively slow and expensive. This certainly isn't something that requires insane tolerances or anything, but it's saving me money on something I'm going to sell (in addition to the savings on making stuff for my own rigs).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Call it a toy all you want, so far mine has been a money printer (it goes "vrrr vrrr vrrrrrrrrr").

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just successfully printed a male m37x0.5 thread. I am amazed thr ender 5 can do that, though I suspect this is right at the limit of what it can do.

(Making a 50 dollar new pair of microscope eyepieces work almost like ones that sell for 300 used--printing another adapter to see if they'll actually work together or if the print isn't tightly specced enough, though it feels really good).
edit: printed the other one and the pair work great together.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 19, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I made a series of custom adapters to mount my dslr to my microscope so I can also freely rotate it as desired. Given the weird threads involved it would have been quite expensive to do it otherwise.
More recently I made these little pedestals that I could glue beads to to hold their position during channel cutting to get a good even groove in them (customer had a very particular design in mind).

I could have done something in wood as well, but being able to just design and print exactly what I wanted in less than an hour was pretty nice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I recenrly remembered I had picked up this cheap little lens out of a film scanner but wasn't ever able to figure out how to mount it (it has no mounting threads). But this is thr future, so one 14.5mm ID to m42x1 outer thread later:

Now I can take closeup pictures of high quality SA-themed mushrooms!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

companies that know what they are doing
Now this bit, this doesn't sound like a job.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Can any of the cheap cnc mills handle aluminum?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's fair. I guess the first step will be making an mpcnc and learning some basics.
At this point I wouldn't need anything super intricate in aluminum, it'd just be nice to drill precisely placed outlines and holes for adapter plates instead of doing it all by hand (though 3d printed drilling guides have helped a lot on that).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

I saw someone posting in this thread that they were able to get the M58x0.75 thread used on camera lens filters, but I question whether that was actually a true thread or more of a jam-fit.
Widest/shallowest I have done is m50x0.5. It threaded on just fine once I had it dailed in, you can definitely tell when it's a little wrong and won't go on right.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

.1mm on my ender 5

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

stevewm posted:

My eldest cat has made a terrible discovery... the print bed IS WARM!

Now she won't move.

:kimchi:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dumb question but have you tried something like aquanet? I have found it gives me such good adhesion I have trouble getting them off without moving the bed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'd think it would make the most sense to get a decent printer rather than one meant specifically for kids. Also seems like a great idea to get them started early (with some supervision)--I really wish these had been around when I was that age.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kids have individual interests and personalities.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I found that aquanet had a profound effect on adhesion on my ender 5, especially on petg. I should probably clean the bed at some point, I have just been adding more layers as needed which seems very dumb but has worked well so far. Down to the last few prints for a CnC router.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah, MPCNC?
My dad has wanted to make a CnC router for a while so I let him pick what he wanted to do, he picked the RS-CNC32. Just one more print to go (already in progress), then we can start cutting a bit of metal and order the final bits we don't have yet.

I still can't believe how easy the Ender 5+ was to set up and use. I have so many other things I want to print once the cnc prints are done, it's amazing that I lived without this thing before.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My dad is feeling like getting a black friday resin printer. He really likes our ender 5 plus so he's leaning creality (250 with sale), max budget around 500ish. Main application would probably be printing jewelry for casting. I should probably just read the thread more, but is it worth spending more on this or will the creality probably be good enough for most basic uses? Any higher end features we'll really miss?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Doctor Zero posted:

All the mono 2k screen printers are pretty similar. But if he’s willing to go up to 500 bucks he may as well get the phrozen mini 4K mono especially if he’s doing jewelry. It should be around $340.

Do not let him get anything but a mono 2k or 4K screen even if the old ones are cheaper. It just doesn’t make sense.

One caveat with the phrozen mini 4K is the z volume is quite a bit lower than other machines. Again if he’s doing jewelry he probably won’t care.
Thanks! I think he's going with the phrozen, will give updates as applicable. Really looking forward to trying resin after how much fun fdm has been for us.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just had a print that seemed to lose adhesion to itself mid-print. Nice well-printed bottom that was still stuck to the build plate transitioning to spaghetti, with the edges sticking better than the middle.

Anyone know what might cause that?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I thought about getting one of those ruby nozzles on a lark but at over 100 bucks they seemed a bit expensive.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've had some odd issues with recent prints. I just did a ton of prints in PLA for a cnc machine (they said PLA which seemed odd but I'll trust them I guess) which all game out amazing. But now going back to petg I'm getting what seem like occasional issues with layers adhering to each other as well as weird solid blobs showing up beside or loosely on the print without any obvious source.

I started on this huge print (which also curled badly though I think that's unrelated). 100% infill and it feels like solid plastic and seemed fine except for that top sirface (loose spaghetti brushed off to the side) but there was also that massive black nugget just sitting next to it. That top surface is easy to peel individual strings from too.

I did this remote holder next which seems perfectlt fine but had these solid blobs attached by thin strings. Still totally usable with the only surface issues being a few strings.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Petgy 240 nozzle temp 50 bed temp (futile attempt to avoid edge curling) .22 mm layer thickness on my ender 5. Just changed the nozzle (for another cheap brass one) because of my last printing issue.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I should just get the good nozzle.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks, I will take that inro account. Come to think of it I don't think I've gone to 100% before, I always stuck at 90, so that could be an issue too. Also explains where all the extra filament came from to make the nuggets.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hmm. My printing issues might be deeper than a bad nozzle. I bought the nozzlex but promptly lost it because of family issues distracting me, so today I thought I'd swap on another cheap brass one and just see what I could do with it. A test print clogged after the first layer, and I noticed the hot end has some big globs of filament inside it. I assume it is getting out sideways somehow but I am not sure how. I put the nozzle on and tightened it while at temperature.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

So I am guessing the bowden coupler in my hot end failed, which is apparently common in enders? Seems to match symptoms. I coupdn't even get the bowden tube out, no matter how much I depressed the clamp thing it would not come out without a pair of vice grips. In the mean time my bltouch flipped down and melted its end against the heated metal so all in all not a great day. Hopefully I can just plug a new one in.
Long way of asking, is there a particularly good coupler and tube I should get? I'd like to replace both couplers because the other end doesn't like to release the tube either, and the tube didn't appreciate being vicegripped.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I found aquanet hair spray worked great in getting petg to adhere to my ender 5's bed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Replaced my bowden tube and connectors, still had issues. Was watching a print when I noticed a weird, slight jerk on the tube. Looked closer and it happened again. Looked closer yet and saw the entire hot end had wobbled a little bit which had jerked on the bowden tube. Got the fan assembly off to get a look and one of the bolts holding the hot end on was very loose, so the nozzle was able to jerk back and forth a bit at random :doh:
No wonder I was getting weird issues that none of the standard diagnostics quite covered--just an issue too stupid to be common. This motion was jamming the bowden tube repeatedly against the holder to the point the teeth were gouging it, allowing it to move out of place and leak filament too.
Anyway I got it tightened and reassembled and all and my first test print was perfect. Here's hoping this actually fixes everything, got something a little more detailed going.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think it was my fault, since it came preassembled and I'm pretty sure I didn't mess with that bolt. But I still feel dumb for not noticing sooner. Just finished anorher print, both are about a million times better than printing them before. What a relief, this was driving me nuts. Now I can finish designing a rotating polarizer for my microscope instead of spending 400 dollars for a used one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SpartanIvy posted:

Man, I would have loving killed for a 3D printer when I was 8. Having the ability to design and print my own legos would have been a game changer.
I know, right?? I had to try and mold them with sculpy and it never worked right.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My wiggly layer problem came back and it turns out the other bolt on my hot end managed to loosen itself. Not sure what's up with that but hopefully loctite is the answer. It's really nice to just tighten something a bit and go back to getting perfect prints. Two more specialized microscope adapters in hand today and another currently printing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

3d printers enable turbotinkering with so many other things though, so it should even out.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 2, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think one thing is that a lot of people will post about printer-relevant prints in a printer-focused space. I don't want to bore you all with the various microscope adapters I've been designing and printing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like mine a lot. I did have to locktite the bolts holding the hot end in position but other than that it's been good.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How does it print? Fast?
It's the only one I have used, but once I got settings dialled in decently for my filament quality has been quite good as far as I can tell (easily printing things like fine 0.5mm pitch threads). Speed seems pretty typical I guess.

Any aftermarket upgrades I need to worry about?
I got a capricorn tube and holders because mine failed, but that was almost certainly because of the self loosening bolts. Still, it is a very easy thing to swap out and inexpensive.

If you can measure it for me I'd appreciate knowing the overall size. I know it's a big boy but I'd like to know if I need to buy a whole new table for it or not.
It's over at my dad's place but iirc it's about a 2 foot cube. Definitely big, you'll need to be sure you have a place for it.

Overall it took about an hour for me to assemble, and it has eaaily paid for itself just in weird microscope adapters I've been able to easily print (though I understand not everyone has a small business/hobby with tons of opportunities to save 40 bucks here and there if only you can make your own precise mechanical adapters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

w00tmonger posted:

So this layer shifting I'm getting? What am I missing? I'm getting intermittent small shifts on my x axis. Tightened belts, levelled bed etc. Is this some slicer setting I need to change or something.

Printing 0.16 height on prusaslicer on my ender 3, pretty much stock settings from them

Looks like what happened when my hot end was loose. Slight random shift back and forth within a limited range.