Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Waiting on my Thingomatic is getting infuriating. I keep watching Skeinlayer run simulations of my gcode and thinking "Wow, this will be cool as hell when there is a machine actually doing this!"

I had been wanting a 3D printer for years now, and had been debating building a Cupcake for the last year. This thread, along with a project idea I had at Christmas, convinced me to finally pull the trigger on the new ToM. Now I'm dying from waiting on it to actually ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

krushgroove posted:

Are you building it, or ordering a turnkey model?

It's the "kit" from the Makerbot store: http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html . Not "turnkey", but at least the boards are pre-assembled.

Cuddlebottom posted:

Do you know how fast they're shipping? The store page says 7 weeks, my (very recent) order says "processing - waiting to be packed." :confused:

My order was on "processing - waiting to be packed" for 2 weeks. Last week it changed to "in production", whatever that means. Originally ordered on Jan. 4.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Guess what UPS just delivered!

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 12, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

techknight posted:

Nice, will you do photos of the build as you progress?

I got about 1/3 built on Sunday, but I wasn't really consistent in taking photos.

If you want REALLY detailed photos of the whole build, check out the assembly instructions wiki: http://wiki.makerbot.com/thingomatic-doc:thingomatic-assembly-instructions

Here is what I have so far:

Automated Build Platform conveyor belt motor

Heated build platform

Rollers for the ABP

X-stage carriage

Completed ABP

Y-stage parts

ABP (X-stage) mounted on Y-stage carriage

Z-stage carriage

Extruder frame

To anyone who has built the Automated Build Platform before: How tight is the conveyor belt supposed to be? Mine seems really tight and I'm afraid it might over-stress the little motor.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
I finished my Thing-O-Matic today and have run my first successful print. I need to tweek my z-axis max height but other than that everything is running smoothly. Pics incoming.

Cakefool posted:

I have a couple dumb questions. What software is required to transform CAD into a 'print-path' ? How is this software set up with regards the printer - resolution, decoding which axis is which etc? Could I build my own printer from scratch & use the software on it?

I think I know what you are asking, but if not please ignore me. By "CAD" you mean a model created in a 3D modeling program. Most of these programs (AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Blender, etc.) have the option to save models in the .STL file format. .STL files are originally for stereolithography, which is a higher end 3D printing technology.

I'm guessing by "print-path" you mean the actual motor control script for a print job? If so, the MakerBot (and the RepRap too, I think) use an open source set of perl scripts called Skeinforge to "slice" a .STL object into individual layers and figure out the best series of movements for creating each layer.

The output of Skeinforge is a text file saved as a .GCODE file. This file is a series of commands for all of the mechanics of the printer. Move X-Axis -20mm, raise temperature to 220 degrees C, spin extruder motor, etc.

I assume that most of us are using a front-end for Skeinforge called ReplicatorG.

http://replicat.org/

ReplicatorG gives you a GUI for the basic Skeinforce scripts. It also handles the interface between your PC and the 3D printer. The latest relese of ReplicatorG has built-in settings for most MakerBot and RepRap models. If you are looking at designing your own printer and want to look at the PC side software, this is where to start.

Also, remember that the PC does not directly control the mechanics on the printer. The GCODE that your PC sends to the printer is parsed by the Arduino MEGA microcontroller, which is actually the brains of the printer. The Arduino is what follows the "script" of the GCODE and commands the mechanics to do what they need to do.

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 16, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Pictures!

Extruder with motor

Casing assembly

X and Y mounted

Wiring the heating elements to the extruder nozzle

Finished extruder

First Print!

(Yes, I forgot to take pictures of fighting with the wiring)

Also, here is what I am printing right now:

edit: the Automated Build Platform is hilarious the way is spits out your prints onto the floor.

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 16, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Cuddlebottom posted:

I might get the chance to chat with someone at a large CAD company about DIYers with personal 3D printers. I was planning on talking about what exists for CAD software (Blender, Sketchup, OpenSCAD), a little about the open source community, popular machines (Mendel, Makerbot, UP!, etc) and some of the more interesting prints I've seen. Anything else I should talk about?

Copyright issues might be an interesting topic. For example, I'm currently trying to convert World of Warcraft character models into usable STL files specifically so I can print out 3D figurines for friends. Once painted it will be essentially the same thing these guys charge $130 dollars for: http://www.figureprints.com/

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
It has been 2 weeks since I have had time to play with my MakerBot, but here are some of the things I printed once it was working:

If you have looked at Thingiverse, there are a dozen variations of the gear cube. This one kinda looks like a weighted companion cube.

The wiggling snake (which is actually one of the ReplicatorG demo models

Master Chief

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
I'm trying to wrap my head around OpenSCAD, but writing translation equations and figuring out the math of what I want to do is a pain in the rear end. However, being able to modify certain parameters of an object just by changing some variable is hugely useful.

If you aren't familiar with OpenSCAD, it is basically the reverse of a 3D modeling program. In something like Sketchup, you manipulate a 3D representation of an object and the program figures out the mathematics of the manipulations you perform. You extend a face until it looks right while the program is calculating the changes in vertex positions in the background. With OpenSCAD, you actually type the positions and orientations and translations into code and the program renders them.

The advantage here is that you can use variables for certain parameters of the model that you expect to change frequently. Suppose you know that an object is going to contain a cylinder, and you know that other aspects of the model are going to be dependent on the diameter of that cylinder, but you don't know exactly what the diameter needs to be right now. You can define the cylinder's diameter as a variable. All of your functions related to cylinder's diameter can call the variable instead of a constant. Want to change the diameter of the cylinder and equally affect all other parts of the model that relate to the cylinder? Just change the diameter variable and re-render.

It is also very good for the community if your can provide an object in SCAD format on Thingiverse. It means that something as simple as a wire clip or a sowing button becomes infinitely more useful when anyone can make their clip or button the exact size they need.

This model is a perfect example of why we should all learn OpenSCAD:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7648

A simple round clip with mount. The designer provides 5 variations on the design in STL format. If you know nothing about 3D modeling you are basically stuck with only these 5 possible clips to make.

The designer also provides an .scad file. If you open this in OpenSCAD you are greated with a bunch of code...also useless if you don't understand it.

However, the first chunk of all that code is a section called "Parameters" :
code:
// Parameters
clipNumber = 4;            // Number of clips on the bracket
clipSpacing = 18;          // Distance between clip centers
clipInnerDiameter = 10.5;  // Diameter of the clip inside face
clipWidth = 10;            // Width (height) of clip
clipWallThickness = 2.5;   // Thickness of clip walls
clipOpeningAngle = 110;    // Amount of clip ring to remove from top (valid between 0 and 180)
bracketThickness = 3;      // Thickness of mounting bracket
mountEarsLength = 18;      // Length of mounting ears from center of first and last clips
mountHoleOffset = 5;       // Position of mounting holes from edge of mounting ears
mountHoleDiameter = 3.5;   // Diameter of the mounting holes
Change any of these parameters and re-render the object and the model changes to meet your particular needs.

What was originally a static model of a single clip of a fixed size and shape can now be easily modified by anyone, regardless of 3D modeling or programming experience, into the exact type of clip they need.

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 3, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

HolyJewsus posted:

PLEASE checkout rhino and grasshopper(free), everything you said... but with a visual node interface and sliders! :) generative/parametric modeling and you can even use firefly to hook it up to an arduino.

I've never used Rhino, but I will try out the demo this weekend. While I'm sure it is great for the designer, the apparent complexity (and $1000 price tag) defeat the main purpose I was promoting OpenSCAD.

Ideally someone should be able to use their 3D printer without having to know how to design models. Sure, right now you can download a pre-made .stl file from Thingiverse, but you have no easy way to alter the model.

Right now I think OpenSCAD is the easiest option for the end-user to have some control over the models they want to print. It is a 7MB free download. As long as the original designer made proper considerations* it should be easy enough for somebody with 0 modeling experience to make changes to a model.

For example, techknight's mustache ring is available as both a .stl and .scad. If I have no idea how to use any 3D modeling program AND I have freakishly fat fingers, the .stl is useless to me. However, once I open the .scad file I see the very first non-comment line reads:

code:
inner_diam = 21; //mm
Change that to 25 (or whatever the diameter of my finger is), compile and export to .stl. Now I have a model that will print and fit on my finger and I didn't have to to even think about the model itself.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

techknight posted:

Just wanted to share a really long print (about 35 hours!) that I finished yesterday:

It's the Bathtub U-Boat from here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6432

The red bits are a stand that I made in Blender: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10346

I've been eying that model since it was posted. I'm glad to see someone built it. How firmly do the sections hold together? They don't look exactly flush to one another.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Is this kinda what you are looking for? (now with holes)

I'm printing a test out now. It should make a 10mm thick cookie with a 5mm impression for the letters. Of course I have no idea what works best for sugar cookies, but all of the parameters can be changed instantly. (Hooray OpenSCAD!)

edit: Here's what a Makerbot can do with the model.

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 26, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Same Great Paste posted:

:aaa:

Holy crap, that's ... perfect. You're perfect.

Only thing I'd ask is to add a few little holes in the top to let the air out when it's pressed in. Otherwise please PM me again to let me know how I can repay such glory.

No need to pay me for the model. I'll put it up on Thingiverse and if you want someone to print it you can just send them the model.

Alternatively, if you me to print you one just PM me the address. However, as techknight said, a Makerbot is not going to give you the same quality as something printed by Ponoko or Shapeways.

Link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11042

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 26, 2011

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

techknight posted:

Edit: What did you print on, btw?

ToM, 3mm ABS through Stepstruder w/ old Mk5 nozzle. The discoloration is because I just switched from red to natural before the print.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Has anyone made the transition from a Makerbot Mk4/5 extruder to the Mk6? I'm wondering how much slower a print job is with the smaller nozzle?

Also, it looks like the Automated Build Platform was a pretty big failure. Makerbot isn't even including it in the ToM kit anymore, though you can still buy it separately, but the price has been cut in half.

I know everything has gotten better with my print jobs since I disabled the ABP, but it is a shame that there isn't an better way to accomplish the same thing. I was looking forward to being able to queue up multiple jobs and have them reliably print without intervention. For now, to Sinewave's point, this is still a very manual and time-consuming process.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

MUAHAHAHHAA! IT PRINTS!

Well, almost.

After a week of dicking with motor controllers, I found out I had a software issue. ReplicatorG's machines.xml file had my motors "stepspermm" at 3200, when it should have been roughly 320. So with feedrate at 3000, it was driving the motors at roughly 10KHz, or about 900RPM. The motor's max rate is just shy of 140RPM, so missed steps, jitter, stupid noises.

Everything set sane, and now it drives and positions and everything. I seemed to have burned out one of my driver boards, though, so I've only got 3 axes available. I picked X,Y, and Z, and the extruder is uncontrolled. I'll figure out a way to work this quadrature encoder I've got and maybe some cheapo 12V drillmotor and get this thing printing.

If building the ToM was as much of a pain in the rear end as it looks like you are having, I would never have built it.

The good thing is that you are going to come away from this with a better understanding of the motor controls than I have. Keep at it and good luck.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

techknight posted:

Got some silver ABS today and tried it out with one of my Space Invaders plugs:

Cool! Ordered!

Anyone have ideas for interesting models that I could customize with peoples' names for Christmas gifts? I'm already working on customized bottle openers, but I need some other ideas.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

YardGlass posted:

Post more stuff you've made please. Is anyone using them to make x-mas gifts?

I'm busy printing gift tags and custom bottle openers.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Manchild King posted:

Hello 3D printers! I must confess to having not read the entire thread yet.

It seems painfully obvious to me 3D printing will be "the next big thing". So my question is, where should I invest my money now so that I can be rich in 10-15 years?

Everything about this quote makes me irrationally angry.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

ImperialGuard posted:

So I just looked up prices on both Shapeways and Ponoko for making a coin holder, and the prices just seemed absolutely exorbitant. I wanna do a comparison: how much would it cost you to print this using ABS?

About $2

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 22, 2012

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Zhentar posted:

You could cut the prices substantially by hollowing out most of the middle.

Do Shapeways/Ponoko let you specify an infill %?

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

ImperialGuard posted:

So I just looked up prices on both Shapeways and Ponoko for making a coin holder, and the prices just seemed absolutely exorbitant. I wanna do a comparison: how much would it cost you to print this using ABS?

Before you run off and have this printed, please be aware that the holes are about .5mm too small for a US penny. I'd go ahead and make them a whole 1mm larger (in diameter), just to be sure the pennies easily fall all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
I made a thing.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:145640

It was a prop for my Dragon*con costume. It turns out natural PLA is an awesome LED light defuser.