Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Heavily considering a Lulzbot Taz 5, anybody ever try one out in person? I've seen countless videos on it so far and it seems to be a great printer with a decent build volume. I wish there were more 3D printers around the same price that had easier times printing 1:1 scale wearable stuff (armor/helmets/etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

ante posted:

For casting, Smooth-On has a product that you paint on 3D printed objects to smooth out the surface, and fill in the pores so that they actually work without silicone getting into nooks and crannies and making a mess of things.

If a project requires precision, slathering a coat of this stuff on it is not a good way to keep accuracy.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Other than price and size are those larger printers worth it for somebody who wants to print out 1:1 scale stuff (props, armor, etc?) instead of getting say a Lulzbot Taz 5 or something? I was considering the Gigabot but heard some pretty iffy reviews about it.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I guess that'd be the worst con of a single large print. Thats why I'm considering the Taz over most because I don't mind putting multiple parts together to make one big piece.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm looking to buy my first printer, I was wondering for somebody who wants to 3d print organic type models, medium-large scale stuff (sculpted in ZBrush or modelled in Fusion 360), I don't care if I have to glue it together or sand poo poo I was just wondering if you guys would recommend the CR-10 or Prusia MK3 as far as print quality? The Prusia seems to have a lot of support and cool tech attached to it but the CR-10 and the Tornado (I think that's what it's called?) seemed to have a bigger build volume. I'm in the Northeast and I'm trying to transition from making video game art into making tangible art and getting more experience in 3d printing/CNC milling, of all scales and sizes. Any recommendations for a printer under $1k would be awesome. I just want to start making stuff that might intrigue local companies into hiring me since there seems to be more 3d printing and fabrication companies around my area than game development companies. I would really appreciate any guidance or advice on this.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 22, 2018

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just got my Elegoo Mars DLP printer from amazon for $250. Resin is $25/500ml which isn't too bad honestly. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing my very first 3d print.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just finished my first 3D print, it's the test rook for resin 3d printers. STL came with my printer on a thumb drive so decided to try it out.

https://imgur.com/a/rrIgVZa

Holy gently caress I am impressed for a $250 printer (Elegoo Mars). The resin is pretty decently priced these days too. Looking forward to printing some of my 3d models I've done in the past 10~ years.

Cut myself with a lovely drywall spatula while trying to get them off the print bed, and I don't think I washed all the resin off on the bottom hence the wonkyness.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 15, 2019

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just preordered a Snapmaker 2.0, curious to see how a 3-in-1 machine works (CNC, Laser, and 3D extrusion). Was about $1400. The only other device I have for printing is a $300 Elegoo Mars but I'm holding out on buying a larger scale resin printer once they all start going the mono-LCD route. My main complaint with resin-based printing is how toxic and messy the actual resin is, I just don't trust these cheap rear end chinese resins. Anybody have any experience with Snapmaker devices by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Sounds perfect to me for a $1400 machine. I don't do any crazy laser cutting or cncing so it will most likely be used for pretty light work. I'm not too worried about the speed of any of the functions, it's just gonna be sitting in my garage getting stuff done. :)

Thanks for the info though! I'll let yall know how it goes :)