Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I saw a banner ad for this thread, and now I'm considering visiting the makerbot store. Thanks to whoever made the banner ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
So apparently I might be able to access to a Thing-O-Matic in my area. I'd like to make a really simple object with it, but the problem is I know almost nothing about 3D modeling.

The OP seems to suggest that I'll need to make an STL file. The object is simple enough that I could probably write down triangle vertices by hand, except I have no idea what orientation the object should have, or what scale the coordinates should use, or anything about how STL files are used by the Thing-O-Matic.

Is there a program that makes this easy to do or something?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

So apparently I might be able to access to a Thing-O-Matic in my area. I'd like to make a really simple object with it, but the problem is I know almost nothing about 3D modeling.

The OP seems to suggest that I'll need to make an STL file. The object is simple enough that I could probably write down triangle vertices by hand, except I have no idea what orientation the object should have, or what scale the coordinates should use, or anything about how STL files are used by the Thing-O-Matic.

Is there a program that makes this easy to do or something?

Thanks Doc Hawkins and techknight for your other suggestions, but OpenSCAD, which Videodrome mentioned, was exactly what I was looking for. I just wrote down coordinates of vertices and calculated which triples of vertices correspond to triangle and then I got my STL file which I can then send to the people with the Makerbot.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
MakerBot Industries also has a cool eggbot that can draw things on eggs, ping pong balls, etc. It's a lot cheaper than most (all?) regular 3D printers.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but lack of an additional extruder ain't the reason I'm not printing more or different things than I already am.

Actually, I just printed my first couple of things on the makerbot someone I know has, and the shapes I wanted got a bit messed up due to lack of support. I'm definitely not wasting any more money on making things until real support is a possibility.