Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I have a few questions about this as this might actually be something I could use for research.

What scale are these models made at? Can you resize something larger? And what is the largest size of an object you can make in these? In addition, exactly how do you go about making the 3D models for the program to work with? Out of the basic MakerBot, what exactly is the product quality like? Do you get a fine scale of detail or not?

Basically, I suck with technology, but this looks really useful for me to use as a hobby and for work I'm doing academically.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

snackmar posted:

Lots of useful stuff.

Thanks! I appreciate the help. The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at possibly doing some CT work for my research, which would result in 3D images of some of the scans. And I know the one guy that I'm trying to get to sign onto my committee mentioned before that his lab was looking into a rapid prototype machine. Since I'm not with his lab, I'm not sure I'd have access to it, and I thought that making some of these scans might be pretty useful.

4"x4"x6" is a little small for some of the scans, however, I think it might actually be right around the perfect size for a couple. It's good to know that scaling works though as it may actually help remove some of those issues.

Plus, for some of the hobbies that I do, it would be nice to be able to just replicate any pieces I need as opposed to trying to cut them out of other pieces (which gets horribly tedious and messy).

Looks like in addition to getting a new laptop that can handle 3D work, I might also have to look into picking up one of those makerbots.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 2, 2010

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I have a couple quick questions for some of you guys that are skilled with the 3D design software and printing.

I have been reading some of these papers for research and whatnot, and a thought came to mind. As was discussed much earlier, the maker bots probably aren't what I need for research In addition, my project has changed. I have been reading some papers that talk about articulations and movement and simple 2d pictures aren't doing it. But what I am wondering about now is what would be needed to make some relatively small scale models (not talking crazy details)?

If anyone can point me in the direction of how I should do that stuff, I would appreciate it. Also, how much might it cost to do some of that? I can answer any other questions both on here or in pm. I just wanted to get the question out fast before I forgot the idea.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
My earlier posts were asking about using the makerbots to do some large scale modeling of 3d renditions of CT scans. That research project changed though. Also, a lot of people in the thread mentioned that the makerbot might not be the best shot for what I wanted.

As for what I am thinking now, I was thinking small replicas of bones and skulls. And, yes, the posts I have seen so far indicate that the scale is doable. My questions mainly lie in detail at small scale and converting an image from 2d to 3d. I am not looking for crazy detail, but a bit more moderate.

As for the papers I was reading that might give more information on what I am asking about, the two best examples were one related to articulation and positioning of limbs in dinosaurs, and the other was the relationship of horn shape on possible damage to the frill in combat between ceratopsian dinosaurs.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Cakefool posted:

How small? What scale?

That's why I'm asking. I have no idea what levels of detail are possible at what sizes. So I could really use some information to know if what I'm asking is workable without costing me hundreds of dollars per piece.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I think this would work pretty well for me after reading some of the thread again, especially since I want to just do some bones and skulls really.

Which of the printers would be the cheapest and still do really well (I'm a poor grad student)?

Also, how would I best go about converting a 2d image into something 3d?

Where can I start learning about using some of these drawing programs to make the images?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Ok, I finally learned how to do the image resizing to post things here, and I figure I'll post up the examples people asked me for when I was asking for advice on a printer. Since my interests are in paleontology, and I like to be able to see models of things when picturing things (I have a difficult time picturing it in my head if I haven't seen it before), I would like to make some small models of things.

In terms of size, I am thinking no single piece larger than a can of soda. In fact, most pieces would probably be smaller than that. However, if detail is needed to be kept, there's no problem scaling it up a little.

Some things have a lot of detail, other things don't. For example, here are the first two thoughts that came to mind:

Thoughts?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Linux Assassin posted:

If all you will be having to go on are 2d images then all you will actually be able to produce are 2d prints. This is not in and of itself a bad thing- but if your trying to produce 'instant dinosaur model, glue together bones and RARG' then I think you'll be pretty disappointed. If on the other hand you had say, a full CT scan of the bones in question, or a 3d model, then you could in fact produce a scaled version of the actual bone.

I wanted to give an example of what I'm thinking. I have some more that give me an estimate of size and such for a lot of things, those are just quick images I grabbed. That's also why I asked the question before of how to take something 2D and modify it to 3D. Basically, if I have a range of images and other information about the parts, how can I modify a 2d image to become 3d for printing.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I understand what you both are saying, and those are both kinda the ideas I had. I'm not going to be finding any type of high res scans of any of these things, so a lot of it would have to be assembled from images from multiple views and relatively good drawings.

I asked about how to convert it more in the sense of what do I need to do in order to go about modeling it in 3D from a 2D image, sort of how it was explained about having to wind up drawing it out myself.

So I guess my questions have been pretty much answered. Now it's an issue of learning to use the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I was wondering if I might be able to ask someone here with access to a 3d printer about possibly printing something for me. I wasn't quite sure where to ask, but thought that I'd just jump to the last page.