Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

screenwritersblues posted:

Probably a dumb question but...

I'm curious about how much it cost to make an average indie film today. I've been writing for sometime now and know that most blockbusters cost well over $100 million to produce, so lets say that I wanted to go out and shoot my own film, how much out of pocket would I have to put up to make a decent film?

Primer was supposedly made for $7,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Are there any directors today who just shoot in the Hitchcock style where everything is story-boarded and they only shoot the exact shots they need? Rather than shooting everything from 10 angles then choosing the best angles when editing (as I understand it's generally done but could be wrong). (Not sure how that fits into "business", but the "editing is easy" discussion made me wonder about it)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I've always been curious about acquiring locations so any of those subjects would be interesting. Particularly just about how you go about getting locations. Do people go out looking for places then contact the owner? Is there a standby list of say churches that allow people to film in them? What if you wanted to shoot in Central Park or some other public place. What would you have to do and how much would it cost if anything?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

How many people who try to get into the business have no business being there because of lack of talent & ability? Sometimes I read stories about struggling actors and how hard it is and you look at their picture and they look like someone who would only be cast as "awkward geek #3". I've read with the book industry, if you write a great book you will get it published, it's just that 99% of the books submitted to publishing houses are awful. Is it in any way similar with acting or writing or any other movie job?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

So, I have another question, this time regarding God's "gift" to the common man, Youtube.

I know there are the very, very few people that have gotten ridiculously successful off of Youtube, which is not gonna happen to me. There are also the millions of people who just put random poo poo up there because they want their friends/family to see it. Then there's that small group that puts up original content, in the hopes that something positive will come of it. My question: What exactly will/might/could come of it? I assume you can use it as part of a resume, that sort of thing, but I assume there are no people who are just browsing the 'Tube, looking for people/things for their projects, right? In other words, if I have something that I've written, and I want it to be seen, is Youtube the best/a good option for it? Or should I save it or submit it somewhere else? A reminder that I live in Iowa, where no one in the film industry is ever gonna set foot in again (Thanks, Iowa Government!)

(for what I'm thinking of, I think it would be better as an episodic type thing, but I'm still just concepting it.)
school).

I think if there's any chance it could go viral, it would be good to put on Youtube. An example being the Red Letter Media guy with his Star Wars reviews. That's a great way to promote his production company and I'd imagine he's gotten job offers from that. You'd want to do something designed to be internet popular though for that to happen.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

quote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/pirated-film-2010-62071?_r=true

Avatar is the most pirated film of the year.

The Oscar-winning mega-blockbuster was downloaded from torrent websites an amazing 16,580,000 times, according to TorrentFreak.

Arkane posted:

How many people in the US saw Avatar in theaters? 70 million? How many watched it for the first time via an illegal download? I'll be REALLY generous: 100,000? Laughable ratio.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

quote:

(Comedy, Science Fiction and Fantasy) An adventure comedy told from the villain's perspective. When the world's greatest super spy goes missing, all fingers point to his arch-nemesis: Professor Mortimer Savage. To clear his name, Savage joins forces with The Agency to learn the truth and save the world.

This comedy/sci-fi/fantasy has potential. All it needs is the comedy, sci-fi and fantasy.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I believe "sides" means a copy of the script for a particular actor for that day's scenes. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

The real question is why would anyone ever agree to accepting payments based on "net" profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

WebDog posted:

This goes to both TrixiRabbit and Automatic Jack

I bolded half of that to show you something, you say your friends at Pixar are having a "lovely time" animating dogs when they "really should be creating the next Fantasia"

He didn't say or imply either of those things in your fake quotes.

• Locked thread