Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

NeuroticErotica posted:

2.) Film school is your place to gently caress things up. Seriously. Make a lot of loving mistakes. Try new things and fall flat on your face. The whole "You don't need film school" crowd misses out on this the most and gets to make their failures public. Film school is a safe environment to try new things, see if they work, and to see if you like them or not (come to think of it... so are the dorms). Find your voice. What you think it is now is a start, but after writing shorts and seeing them get made and seeing them suck (and dear Based God they will), you can see that maybe your first ideas weren't the best.

I'm currently a film production graduate student and Amen to this. I just happened on this thread. I'm specializing in cinematography which I really enjoy, but if I could wake up every day and know I'm going to work to pull focus, I would die happy :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I use Movie Draft SE out of the mac app store and really like it. It imports Final Draft and Celtx, and exports PDF, along with the just mentioned two. Oh and it's cheaper than Final Draft.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I would call http://www.filmla.com/ and ask them. They probably deal with that sort of thing on the regular.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I'm having a really bad day on set today guys and gals, just wanted to share with people who understand.

Everything is a crisis and there's more agency/client here than crew. Kill me now, please.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

Did they fly out their whole agency team and they are treating it like a vacation? Turns into like 10 creative directors and nothing gets accomplished. I've had many 16+ hour days because of that.

God speed.

It's not a vacation, they came to work, there's just too god drat many of them. We have a group from agency, and two separate clients working on integration, one from a major TV network and one from a major US company. I'm PMing this and I cannot wait to be on a different job tomorrow just loving PMing for a producer who knows what the gently caress she is doing.

BonoMan posted:

Hey my 8 year old niece over there on her 3DS has some ideas. You don't mind do you?

God I wish then at least I'd have someone to talk to that understands me haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

Sup PM buddy. Ya sometimes it's worse when they really want to work, and drat that is a lot of cooks in the kitchen!

I just wrapped a shoot yesterday, 35+ crew members, on location etc. I've been planning it for two weeks but I was the producer/pm/pc. Thank god I had a PA on the day before. I feel your pain.

Where are you based?

I'm based out of Los Angeles. Just out here living the dream!

Yourself?

Edit:

Top two best things so far that they've sprung on me.

6PM of day 1 of shooting: "Hey btw we're SAG so we're gonna need all that paperwork for our 3 principals, two of which are Taft-Hartley, and our 10 background."

Noon of day 1 of shooting: "Hey we want American Humane approval, so lets get them on set for when our Alligator is there at 4P, cool thanks."

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 22, 2013

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

NYc, although the commercial I just shot was in the dry lakes of vegas.

I did get a lack of film permit citation over a year ago cause I didn't know I couldn't film in my friends house without a permit. If I come back will they have a warrant for my arrest?

Also gently caress casting agencies not telling you people aren't SAG and then having Taft Hartleys out the rear end.

Nice, I worked in NYC earlier this year while I was there for a wedding.

As per the lack of film permit citation, you'd probably have to take that up with the agency that issued it. Or FilmLA. They have so many answers.

Re: you last point, agreed.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

Yea but I don't want to inquire as they might send SWAT out to get me :ohdear:

Oh they may still very well might

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

Keep agency people away. Always.

The only people that can smile at you and tell you you're bad at your job at the same time.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Surreal Windmill posted:

Anyways I'm filling out my 6th (!!) start paperwork for the year, and decided to check in here.

This cracks me up because I work on commercials and if I do six start paperworks in a month it is a slow rear end month and I probably wont make rent haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

Does anyone know a good prop/scenic crew in NYC? I need to get a fairly involved Christmas set built but Im a bit at a loss of who to go to in the area.

Also, when it doubt, http://variety411.com/us/new-york/

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I know it's a double post but called yesterday at 11.0 and wrapped at 30.5

I only post this because I know you guys understand :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress you NDAs, all I want to do is tell people about the stuff I'm doing and I cant :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Steadiman posted:

Sorry if I come off as ranting but I am so pissed off at this, this job is not worth getting killed over and productions are trying to pull off poo poo like this more and more for the sake of saving some money.

Amen, brother.

Dollygrippery did a good piece

http://www.dollygrippery.net/2014/02/sarah.html

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 22, 2014

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Also PriorMarcus, do you have any contacts at all in the industry? I know one of my good film school friends got me my first job, and ever since then I've been doing my best to pay it forward with new folks from my program when they move to LA. If you know anyone at all, hit them up, buy them a drink, and see if they can help!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

To continue a great week in the filmmaking community, Harold Ramis died, and that fuckin' sucks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-harold-ramis-dead-20140224,0,2259309.story

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably my most successful friend is the guy who has worked DOP for me on a few short films, he's one of the full-time editors on Emmerdale and I'm actually working with him again in April on a short film - I'll shoot him an email today.

Eh, success is relative. You should hit up everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Steadiman posted:

Of course. Sorry thread, I'll get back to you as soon as I can, just gotta deal with this first.

Wait wait wait one questio...

poo poo

Welp time to go to crafty.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Welp I produced a feature this week. What have you guys been up to?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Congratulations! What's it called? Cast and director? Budget? When you say finished is that shoot, or are you delivered?

I'm helping the producers of Joachim Trier's (JOACHIM TRIER IS BEST TRIER) next film, which is shooting in NY, close their financing. It's quite tricky.

In order, "As It's Remembered" first time feature director classmate of mine Dustin McLean starring Jas Sams (who was in v/h/s) $3700 to do 75 pages finished principal in 7 days editing starts tomorrow. Hoping to make the Slamdance cutoff!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

therattle posted:

This probably makes me come across as an rear end in a top hat, but you haven't produced the film - yet! You've shot it. Once it's edited, graded, mixed and delivered, THEN you've produced it!

Shooting that many pages in 7 days on that budget is pretty drat amazing. I hope it turns out well!

Haha, it does, but I live in LA so I'm used to it. Besides I love my fellow industry goons dearly, and I agree and understand with your point :P

Editorial starts today, coloring to follow, and our mixer was hired last night at our Labor Day party. I'm gonna deliver the poo poo out of this movie.

Literally the only thing that kept this doable was me yelling at the director about scope. He's one of my best friends and this is his seventh or eighth feature length script, but none of them have been doable by our means, until now. Three locations, four actors, and a crew of our friends and classmates is the only thing that kept it doable. I'm proud of it and I'll be prouder when it's done and at festivals. It'll be good.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I believe they use Crowd Releases

quote:

CROWD RELEASE FOR TV/FILM PRODUCTION

(Post outside of entry doors or on perimeter of filming area)

By entering and by your presence here, you consent to be photographed, filmed and/or otherwise recorded. Your entry constitutes your consent to such photography, filming and/or recording and to any use, in any and all media throughout the universe in perpetuity, of your appearance, voice and name for any purpose whatsoever in connection with the production presently entitled: _______________________.

You understand that all photography, filming and/or recording will be done in reliance on this consent given by you by entering this area.

If you do not agree to the foregoing, please do not enter this area.

As for logos and stuff, it usually falls within fair use, right?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

therattle posted:

This probably makes me come across as an rear end in a top hat, but you haven't produced the film - yet! You've shot it. Once it's edited, graded, mixed and delivered, THEN you've produced it!

Following up, submitted our rough cut to Sundance. Fingers crossed!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have the 2014 Jeffords Rules PDF?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Despite working in movies in Hong Kong, I know rather little about the Hong Kong movie business since I focus on the mainland market.

I'm travel coordinating a commercial that's going there next week. If you have to sign like six pages of non-disclosure agreements for a job next week, tell them I said what's up haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Very cool dude. Let me know when it's on Android :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I just have the Deadspin and Variety email subscriptions relegated to a gmail inbox that I can peruse at my leisure.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I bet my friend a steak dinner that Entourage would gross under 80M domestic. Am I gonna win?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=entourage.htm

Looking good so far

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

Doing my first job in LA this week, coming from living and working in the midwest, and after one day, I hate this loving city. I hate everything about it here. I can't wait until this gig is over. I don't know how you people live here.

Where in town are you, because that makes a big difference.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Client: We need a stage for our upcoming shoot.

Me: Okay, what dates and how big?

Client: We're not sure yet.

Me: Okay...do you have any specifics?

Client: It needs to be big. And we might need two. Near each other on the lot.

Me: Great. Copy.

***I call around***

Stage: Sure, what dates and how big?

Me: That is an excellent question. I guess as big as you have, any time in the next month?

Stage: Lol...sure let's check the calendar

Gotta love making commercials :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

I feel that all the time; except Im the client. Its when I have an idea that Im trying to get the creative cleared, but its not cleared yet, but it has to shoot in two weeks no matter what.

Sorry dude! I know it sucks

Haha no kidding? I'm actually looking to make the move to agency myself...

The bad part of what I said earlier is that it was network promos...so the agency and the client are the same thing. The tech scout was a 10 minute phone call where everyone was like "we don't really know yet so bring everything."

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

rejutka posted:

Why do I enjoy this poo poo so much?

I ask myself this question every time I have to wake up at 04:00 for a call time.

It's because having a desk job sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Blisster posted:

I don't work in the industry (yet) but I've been trying to get involved in some projects. I spent 13 hours of my Saturday as a PA on a music video- hauling furniture/props/sandbags and folding dusty fabrics. And at the end of the day I was part of creating something that didn't exist before. That's cool and it's the kind of satisfaction you don't get at most jobs.

Awesome.

To be fair, I make commercials, but I know what you're saying. The creating something thing really comes in to play when you're making your own projects. I make commercials cause the paycheck is good. I make stuff with my friends because it's fun and awesome to do :)

• Locked thread