Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So ghost wars isn't a fake reality show? Do I want to watch it?

Edit, what the hell, the cast looks good, I set a timer.

wormil fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2017 around 02:05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gosh, I love arrows.

wormil posted:

So ghost wars isn't a fake reality show? Do I want to watch it?

The show follows a small island town in Alaska, partway through the first episode there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. The main character, Roman, is an outcast being the son of the local psychic and everyone thinks he's crazy because he is always talking to people who aren't there but that's because he can see ghosts.

The first episode was interesting and like most Syfy stuff now had pretty good production values.

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Solid first ep and I'm definitely in but there were a bunch of awkward cuts in there. Felt like there's a pilot that goes over the regular hour block runtime and we got a trimmed version of that.

Glad to see some continuum alumni though. Garza! criminally underused on Continuum, hope she shows up more frequently here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

muscles like this! posted:

there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. .

Well at least they didn't get turned into enraged skeletons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Van Helsing premier was pretty good too. That wall trap scene owned.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The show follows a small island town in Alaska, partway through the first episode there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. The main character, Roman, is an outcast being the son of the local psychic and everyone thinks he's crazy because he is always talking to people who aren't there but that's because he can see ghosts.

The first episode was interesting and like most Syfy stuff now had pretty good production values.

How representative was the trailer for the show? Because the trailer made it look like it was all over the place tonally, not to mention plain dumb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gosh, I love arrows.

I thought it was tonally consistent with it pretty direct in being a straight horror show. I also thought they did a pretty good job subverting some standard tropes, like once things get going people are pretty quick to believe Roman about all the ghost stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I thought it was tonally consistent with it pretty direct in being a straight horror show. I also thought they did a pretty good job subverting some standard tropes, like once things get going people are pretty quick to believe Roman about all the ghost stuff.

That scene in the church was pretty good -- I love that we got to see each of the four different bureaucrats react in different, but logically consistent (and fairly reasonable ways) ways. D'onofrio's drunk the kool-aid, President Servalan Mayor Garza recognises that there's a problem but remains the only holdout in the room, and both the cops don't fully understand what Roman's saying, but understand enough to suggest completely complementary plans.

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Open Source Idiom posted:

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

Yeah that was a weird shot, I think it was implying that just as they can't leave, that no one from the mainland can get to the island either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

Flash! ah-ahh! Savior of the Universe! Flash! ah-ahh! He'll save everyone of us!

Basically, foreshadowing the "Why can't they just get someone to fly in a helicopter" pointers of the obvious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gosh, I love arrows.

I think what it was saying was that the island has vanished to the outside world. So they can't expect any help from there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

The Sheriff's scene in the morgue was really well done especially the flip.

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Just when I thought I couldn't love modern Syfy more they went and gave Mario Van Peebles a show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjkorkKakA

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Whoa, Ghost Wars was not what I was expecting. Kinda 6th Sense meets Silent Hill.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

Flash! ah-ahh! Savior of the Universe! Flash! ah-ahh! He'll save everyone of us!

Tokubetsu posted:

Just when I thought I couldn't love modern Syfy more they went and gave Mario Van Peebles a show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjkorkKakA

That is a handsome head hes got there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gosh, I love arrows.

Tonight on Van Helsing: Axel's back!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Forgive the off-topic post but I think this is the best thread, it would just get lost in the general thread ... I don't remember where I heard of it but BYUtv has a new series called Extinct. (Yeah, I didn't know there was a BYUtv channel either but I have it on DISH) Trigger warning !! It was written by Orson Scott Card. But there is nothing obviously political about it (2 episodes in). It takes place 400 years after aliens wipe out humanity. New aliens come to Earth and attempt to revive human beings, but there are mysteries and plot twists, and that's just episode 1 & 2. Anyway, I like it. It feels like something you would see on CW but lower budget.
/offtopic

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

wormil posted:

Forgive the off-topic post but I think this is the best thread, it would just get lost in the general thread ... I don't remember where I heard of it but BYUtv has a new series called Extinct. (Yeah, I didn't know there was a BYUtv channel either but I have it on DISH) Trigger warning !! It was written by Orson Scott Card. But there is nothing obviously political about it (2 episodes in). It takes place 400 years after aliens wipe out humanity. New aliens come to Earth and attempt to revive human beings, but there are mysteries and plot twists, and that's just episode 1 & 2. Anyway, I like it. It feels like something you would see on CW but lower budget.
/offtopic

I was told in Couch Chat he was a Mormon and the BYUtv is a Mormon thing so i decided to take off the watch list.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rocksicles posted:

I was told in Couch Chat he was a Mormon and the BYUtv is a Mormon thing so i decided to take off the watch list.

Mormon I could deal with. Massively racist homophobic rear end in a top hat, not so much.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

Same diff, right? There many black mormons? or Scientologists for that matter...

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

syfy put the entire mario van peebles pilot online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPUSMAACWE

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocksicles posted:

It hasn't converted me yet. But I've read a lot of books on political and social ideologies with which I disagree and didn't turn into a wacko so maybe I'm immunized. As a religion outsider, all the Christian sects are nearly indistinguishable: Mormons, Baptists, Catholics, or whatever, to me it's all...

And from what I can tell, they all have a fair share of racist, homophobic, assholes. But I really don't care about any of that because if I based my viewing on ideologies of people involved in production or financing, I wouldn't watch anything at all, or read many books, or work for many companies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Back on topic, I watched the first 2 episodes of CZ, No End House and it's better than S1. Digging it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

every time the doc is on screen in van helsing im like why is she alive when so many others are dead

«47 »