Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm always interested with what Resident Alien decides to spend his budget on. Worth it this week, with the music.

Holy poo poo he just gas lit an entire family. Lol if this spurrs on their innevitable divorce.

None of the kids in this town have mobiles, apparently. It would probably get in the way of the reverse ET vibe the sub-plot is going for.

Big week for Alan Tudyk's physical acting. He's so good. And I love the way he moderates his performance when he's working in scenes with kids. He's very sweet.

"Maybe there's something out there stronger than hate." Look, I like the show, and its use of voice over is stronger than a lot of other shows that use it, but I cannot believe someone voluntarily wrote that line.

Edit: AAAAH! People of Earth reunion. Bet he's an alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Resident Alien is so good. I love this show.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’m an episode and a half behind but I’m digging it too, had some actual laugh out loud moments.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I thought the first episode was fine and am looking forward to the rest of the series

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to assume the new doctor has some weird secret going on because he's just a little too perfect, especially for a tiny town like Patience. It would be funny if he actually was another alien sent in to check on Harry (and thus actually better at being a human than Harry) since Harry's quite clearly behind on his missions since, you know, humanity is still alive.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I thought the first episode was fine and am looking forward to the rest of the series

Keeps getting better so far. Every time they get a chance to have Alan Tudyk to do some physical comedy it’s been great. Really enjoying it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Resident Alien renewed for season 2.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Great news, I’m just getting caught up on the last two episodes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm surprised I'm not seeing much people talking about the show. (Also hooray, it got renewed!)

I had forgotten it was a thing until a trailer about the first episode showed up in my youtube recommendations. AND, that poo poo is so much fun. Alan Tudyk is a treasure :allears:

So far all the jokes have landed for me, it's just a great thing to watch.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I'm enjoying it for sure, but they need to reduce some of the non-Alan Tudyk scenes by about 20%. I don't need to see Asta and co dancing around a campfire for 10 minutes.

EDIT: having said that, that was mostly an early-in-the-show problem and it hasn't really been that bad the last handful

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I think there was an episode where they dragged too much on the secondary actors. There was also another one with zero Harry-Alien (But lots of Alan's acting), but I guess it has to do with saving a bit of money for the season finale. It's all good, I can't complain about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode did a pretty good job of showing why Alien Harry should be either completely CG or just the head and hands. Costume Harry just looked a little iffy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh poo poo Terry O’Quinn comes to Resident Alien next week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No one commented on Nathan Fillion showing up last week?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I normally wait 3 seasons for syfy shows before I give them a shot so many are just get going and then get poo poo canned.

Is Resident Alien actually worth it yet without blue balls and dreaming of what could have been? All build up and no payoff gets very tiring, as fun as trying to figure out where a show is going it's meaningless if you never get to find out if you were right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Resident Alien is a character show. The meta plot matters to give motivations, but it's mainly about letting all these characters ping pong off each other.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No one commented on Nathan Fillion showing up last week?

I'm not a big fan of him so I did a quick check wondering if I missed a cameo and lol, he was the octopus.

pixaal posted:

I normally wait 3 seasons for syfy shows before I give them a shot so many are just get going and then get poo poo canned.

I'm not very hopeful that the show will last long, so I'm just enjoying what I can and not building any great expectations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm not a big fan of him so I did a quick check wondering if I missed a cameo and lol, he was the octopus.

I got a thing for spotting voice actors so he jumped out right away to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pixaal posted:

They've given proper endings to about half their shows over the last six years or so. That's more than Amazon, Netflix...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This final season of Wynonna Earp has been killing it. It's mostly been a series of genre mashups, but they're smart and funny genre mashups. The most recent episode was the best take on a genie / monkey-paw episode that I've seen in a long long time, and that's before they mashed it up with a pub quiz.

Next week looks like it's going to back to doing the main plot, which ho hum, because the comedy episodes are always better. But it's a fun show, and I'd recommend checking it out before it vanishes for good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
New Resident Alien on tonight with Ancient Aliens' Giorgio Tsoukalos showing up as himself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Resident Alien was so good. The callback to the song in the pilot was great.

And it got pretty dark. Guess they're setting up Terry O'Quinn and Alice Wetterlund to be antagonists next season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just judging by how these shows usually go Dr. Fuckboy is one of those reptillions Harry mentioned last episode and has knocked up Darcy, right?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I love how Harry has been dissing on other alien races. :allears: (Grays are problematic as gently caress, if we consider what he said in early episodes about them having a butt kink).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Allah knows?!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Just finished and...WELP. Shits hitting the fan for the season finale.

Open Source Idiom posted:

And it got pretty dark. Guess they're setting up Terry O'Quinn and Alice Wetterlund to be antagonists next season.

I hope so! Terry's character doesn't look like it's gonna be a one episode thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harry really should have gotten rid of that dead body after the close call with the wife.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

Harry really should have gotten rid of that dead body after the close call with the wife.

I have a two-car garage that is currently able to house zero cars due to 40+ years of accumulated stuff. Sometimes people just procrastinate...

Plus, you just know that if he gets rid of the one corpse, his people will expect him to get rid of the other 7,999,999,999 once he kills the rest of us. Who needs that hassle?

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 26, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Shirtless Harry on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AlanTudyk/status/1377405983450832901

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was actually wondering if he was really behind the prosthetics.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Me too! I think I saw a costume double credited, but I guess it's just for certain scenes. I hope they put the behind the scenes (does SyFy do that?) I love that kind of stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume it is Tudyk for talking scenes (where he just wears a mask and gloves) and costume double for anything else.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That was a great season. Incredibly solid all around. There were enough plots and characters that it never dragged and never got bogged down in one or the other. Really great balance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So many questions aaaahh.

I can't believe they pulled the trigger on Harry being so unlikable. He's really horrible in this -- the stuff he does to Darcy is mean, but the dead Doctor and his wife? That's a huge swerve. He's the show's main villain.

Though, speaking of villains, I'm shocked they didn't dispatch anyone. They're all sticking around for another season.

That subplot with the Mayor, his wife and Darcy did not end the way I expected, but it was super super good. Quite a lot in this episode surprised me, and not just big moments, small moments too -- like the occasional moments where you get the sense that the show is about a serial killer who's squirmed his way inside the town from Schitt's Creek.

I really want Michael Cassidy to be an alien.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

I really want Michael Cassidy to be an alien.
My bet is he’s a MiB. It’s established they exist and the general is acting outside their authority.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Loved it! And :lol: at the ending.

I can't believe they pulled the trigger on Harry being so unlikable. He's really horrible in this -- the stuff he does to Darcy is mean, but the dead Doctor and his wife? That's a huge swerve. He's the show's main villain.

Yeah, but I guess next season is gonna be some sort of redemption, and him still learning what is to be a human.Uh, and he is gonna have to deal with the consequences of being an rear end with Darcy. And biggest lol he is totally coming back as the town's doctor now that the perfectly handsome doc is gone (for now).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Loved it! And :lol: at the ending.

Yeah, but I guess next season is gonna be some sort of redemption, and him still learning what is to be a human.Uh, and he is gonna have to deal with the consequences of being an rear end with Darcy. And biggest lol he is totally coming back as the town's doctor now that the perfectly handsome doc is gone (for now).

Am I wrong to want Max to start turning into Junior Star Lord?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Maybe I got it wrong but the impression I got from Harry killing the previous town doctor was that it was Human Harry that did it and Alien Harry killing Human Harry was karma coming back to him for being a murderer. Yeah I does kind of make the wife not guilty but the actual investigation was by the Sheriff and not Alien Harry in any real way.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

E. Revenant posted:

Maybe I got it wrong but the impression I got from Harry killing the previous town doctor was that it was Human Harry that did it and Alien Harry killing Human Harry was karma coming back to him for being a murderer. Yeah I does kind of make the wife not guilty but the actual investigation was by the Sheriff and not Alien Harry in any real way.

Oh no, you are correct.

Human-Harry killed the doctor. The reason why -as far as I could tell- was not revealed (lol if human-Harry was in reality a serial killer or something like that).

Everyone posted:

Am I wrong to want Max to start turning into Junior Star Lord?

Oh my god :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh no, you are correct.

Human-Harry killed the doctor. The reason why -as far as I could tell- was not revealed (lol if human-Harry was in reality a serial killer or something like that).

Harry's wife mentioned some strange men came by looking for him right before he ran off to Patience. Probably running from them, planning to take over Sam's practice like Alien Harry did.