Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I liked watching hunters, but I recognize it was a very very harsh show and hard for it to get a broad audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is The Magicians worth watching?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress yes it is. The first season isn't as great as the second, for the main character is kind of a loser, but it's a fun show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its trash but it can be entertaining trash. It can also be really grating trash as all the characters are utterly contemptible and wallow in it quite a bit. Its a toss up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes, it's sort of a mess but the second season is really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Magicians is just good. Everything clicked for me about episode four.

It's fun and funny and nasty.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Magicians is just good. Everything clicked for me about episode four.

It's fun and funny and nasty.

Also he hilarity how the Chosen One ends up being a bumbling failure and has to constantly depend on his friends to bail him out of trouble.

It also has Ros from Game of Thrones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Penny.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason Syfy has decided to supplement their downtimes by getting nonexclusive rights to Futurama. Starting in November they're going to air 6 hours a night in order to run through the whole series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason Syfy has decided to supplement their downtimes by getting nonexclusive rights to Futurama. Starting in November they're going to air 6 hours a night in order to run through the whole series.

xmas break. They have a enough content, I don't know why they don't rerun some of their own shows; or maybe they will.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

3 episodes into Blood Drive.

Did these get shown on live tv?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

3 episodes into Blood Drive.

Did these get shown on live tv?

Yes, and it was glorious!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The second half of BD was kind of mediocre compared to the first half, which was some of the best poo poo ever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would have been perfect if they had just ended two episodes earlier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Van Helsing starts season 2 tomorrow night. Followed by GHOST WARS.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

New Happy trailer: http://tvline.com/2017/10/05/happy-trailer-syfy-chris-meloni-video-watch/

Plus a pilot screening at Hammerstein Ballroom this Saturday as a part of CC

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently someone watched Roadhouse in preparation for Van Helsing season 2.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently someone watched Roadhouse in preparation for Van Helsing season 2.

Leaded, or Unleaded?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
i called it in the trailer that dropped months ago but wow they really ratcheted the gore up. Did syfy/canadian tv execs send them notes or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tokubetsu posted:

i called it in the trailer that dropped months ago but wow they really ratcheted the gore up. Did syfy/canadian tv execs send them notes or something?

Blood Drive did just lower the bar on acceptable TV content :v:.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait... Van Helsing got MORE violent and gory?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I said earlier that I think the who point of blood drive was to reset content expectations on the network.

Standards keep loosening on others as well. FX is allowing all the fucks on AHS this season after allowing tons with Taboo earlier.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Animal Kingdom was pushing nudity, even a couple flashes of nipple but so quick you would second guess. And of course Slink with his full frontal, so to speak.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

wormil posted:

Animal Kingdom was pushing nudity, even a couple flashes of nipple but so quick you would second guess.

I remember back in the last season of BSG in 2009, there were two or three instances of this, too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in the last season of BSG in 2009, there were two or three instances of this, too.

Now that you mention it, that was Grace Park IIRC. If looking back that far, there was Charlotte Ross in NYPD Blue but I think we are seeing networks trying to push the boundaries farther out. I'm all for it. Personally I don't have any problem with a little nudity on tv if it isn't sexually explicit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just need more fat man rear end like NYPD Blue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Meanwhile I was watching Jurassic Park on CMT, and "God drat" and "Jesus" are apparently too intense to be used on that channel and were edited out.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Chairman Capone posted:

Meanwhile I was watching Jurassic Park on CMT, and "God drat" and "Jesus" are apparently too intense to be used on that channel and were edited out.

What do you expect from Christian Music Television?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wormil posted:

Animal Kingdom was pushing nudity, even a couple flashes of nipple but so quick you would second guess. And of course Slink with his full frontal, so to speak.

Game of Thrones set that standard years ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's HBO/premium cable. These other shows are TNT/FX/SyFy are all basic cable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

STAC Goat posted:

That's HBO/premium cable. These other shows are TNT/FX/SyFy are all basic cable.

Sure, but my point is that kind of thing still filters down over time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HBO has shown nudity for at least 35 years, probably longer. So have most or all the other premium/pay channels. Means nothing to broadcast/basic cable tv.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax have been doing nudity, sex, and language forever. In a lot of ways it made them distinct when they got into the original TV game since they were able to have broader limits. Sopranos definitely owes some of its success to being on HBO where it could hold nothing back vs if it had been on a network or basic cable.

If the basic cable channels are starting to loosen the strings that's genuinely a change. To some extent its probably inevitable now that its not even "Premium Cable vs Networks vs Basic Cable" anymore but this huge pool of streaming service originals and traditional cable dying and making those lines that existed for so long. I doubt it gets too far soon but it makes sense if cable networks are seeing their competition as not just HBO and Showtime but also Netflix and Amazon that they figure they should loosen the handcuffs.

Of course its happening in a political climate where conservatism is really pushing back and ostensibly in control of government so who knows how it plays out? But I doubt middle america grandmas are watching Blood Drive to get offended and call the FCC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It doesn't really matter. Cable TV is a private network and the FCC doesn't have the same say on content as they do with broadcast TV. It's really only a matter of what the advertisers want to be associated with and even that influence is waning as more and more revenue comes from carriage fees.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True, at least in terms of the government stuff. I guess my thought process was just something like Animal Kingdom seems like it appeals to the sort of CBS cop show crowd that might overlap with the FCC calling grandmas. But odds are if you're still freaking out about nudity or cursing in a TV show in 2017 you're already pretty deep into your cultural/religious bunker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like boobs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Second best invention ever

Ghost Wars is AWESOME btw.

Totally on board for this ride.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 7, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem with Ghost Wars is the name. I thought it was another stupid faux reality show like Ghost Hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

The problem with Ghost Wars is the name. I thought it was another stupid faux reality show like Ghost Hunters.

Yeah, totally. That's just a really bad marketing idea from a network that has a bunch of those shows in those time slots and should have expected people used to ignoring them would ignore this.

Then again maybe they're hoping the Ghost Hunter fans stumble on the show and there's a reverse effect?