Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

Nothing about Butchers Block, does that mean it sucks?

I think all the talk was on the thread.

Some goons loved it (me included). Some goons thought it was schlock. I think everyone thought the direction was tight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oh, I didn't realize it had a thread. I recorded but haven't watched it yet. Might save it for late summer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the concepts for every season of Channel Zero so far have been pretty far fetched, but this is the most "just go with it" one so far. Weird fuckin premise.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Not a ton revealed here, but have a First Look at Nightflyers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLefjnMGMTM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alehkhs posted:

I'm sold. My fav Jamaican is in it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay. what's it got that alien(s) or event horizon or lifeforce don't have?

I'm down for a sci-fi horror series but you gonna have to give me something that's intriguing about the setting or monster(s)? because that trailer was very generic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bring back old gbs posted:

the concepts for every season of Channel Zero so far have been pretty far fetched, but this is the most "just go with it" one so far. Weird fuckin premise.

"More just go with it than No End House" is a hell of a statement.

I haven't seen it yet but its recorded and I'll binge it soon enough. All the Channel Zero have delivered enough that they're worth a quick watch.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It was had to take the trailer seriously when it was hyping up how "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A THING LIKE THIS!!!" when it just looks exactly like Event Horizon. Like the GRRM influence is going to be what exactly? Or did all he do was copy EH after he watched it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, that trailer's not noteworthy -- outside the bizarre contradiction in the copy. But there's no reason to assume the show's because some marketing department spiv thought that throwing out a bunch of clapped up buzzwords would drum up some four quadrant noise.

JossiRossi posted:

It was had to take the trailer seriously when it was hyping up how "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A THING LIKE THIS!!!" when it just looks exactly like Event Horizon. Like the GRRM influence is going to be what exactly? Or did all he do was copy EH after he watched it?

They're adapting his novella.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 22, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well gently caress, my DVR went tits up and Butchers Block with it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5k6jfqcXxc

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My instinct is to want to watch Nightflyers because Event Horizon was just a shade from perfect, Alien is great, and horror in space is a good and true formula to the point that I enjoyed Cloverfield Paradox.

But George RR Martin actively turns me away for some reason.

wormil posted:

Well gently caress, my DVR went tits up and Butchers Block with it.

It should be available to stream online, and SyFy is pretty limited on commercials.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

It's the GoT fanbase.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

GRRM's science fiction is really good and really underrated. Dying of the Light, Windhaven, and Tuf Voyaging are all absolutely top-notch (and the latter is pretty funny, too).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chairman Capone posted:

GRRM's science fiction is really good and really underrated. Dying of the Light, Windhaven, and Tuf Voyaging are all absolutely top-notch (and the latter is pretty funny, too).

Tuf Voyaging and Fevre Dream are his best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Krypton was okay, a little generic though. Also maybe they're doing a swerve but it seems pretty obvious who is secretly the person from the future loving things up (gee, could it possibly be the character who covers their face all the time and doesn't talk and has upended Krypton's society and at one point just kind of shows up out of nowhere?) No idea who they are going to be comics side though.

One thing I'm kind of excited to see is that Blake Ritson is playing Brainiac and he was the best on Da Vinci's Demons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the synopsis they listed another hero from the future in the cast Hawkwoman but it looks like they dropped her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was kind of the only reason I was thinking of tuning in, just the idea that they might dig around with other DC characters, alien species, and stuff.

Krypton and Kryptonians have never actually interested me. They're almost always douchebags.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I read a review that covered the first half of the season and they didn't mention her at all. Goyer has said in interviews that he was given a long leash for characters but who knows if he's telling the truth.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Krypton was actually good. I put it off because...ugh, another superman origin. But the sets are crazy, and the shot of Braniac was really good. I'm curious how it'll hold up past the big budget pilot though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

So Krypton was actually good. I put it off because...ugh, another superman origin. But the sets are crazy, and the shot of Braniac was really good. I'm curious how it'll hold up past the big budget pilot though.

The Skull Ship was loving awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of odd about last night's Krypton is that I can't tell whether you were supposed to recognize that the Voice of Rao was clearly Brainiac. Just from hearing his voice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why are all the house sigils the same shape? That's kind of weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Something I thought was kind of odd about last night's Krypton is that I can't tell whether you were supposed to recognize that the Voice of Rao was clearly Brainiac. Just from hearing his voice.

Probably not since Brainiac hasn't said a single word yet so I assume it's meant to be a big twist.

"I called it the phantom zone. :v: You have a better name?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably not since Brainiac hasn't said a single word yet so I assume it's meant to be a big twist.

"I called it the phantom zone. :v: You have a better name?"

I'm calling it now, Brainiac is undercover trying to figure out where GGPop stashed the info about other cultures.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I *think* you're supposed to be suspicious of that fact. The threat being presented and what Adam Strange is sent back in time to stop aren't necessarily the same thing, after all -

As of the last episode, we know Brainiac has been scooping up planets for hundreds of years. If you're a comic book fan you already know that he manages to grab Kandor off of Krypton. But Strange was sent back to stop someone from messing around with time. What if the Face of Rao is future/modern Brainiac going back in time to erase Superman? Not by destroying Krypton, but by mucking about with the El family lineage?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know Krypton so far seems like poo poo to me, (set design is fantastic though) like CW is leaking. Plus with Legion, Expanse, and Westworld I won't have the time. I'll see if its worth binging later I guess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll watch anything with Brainiac in it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No doubt everyone knows by now but The Expanse returns April 11th.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has there been any word as to when 12 Monkeys comes back?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Has there been any word as to when 12 Monkeys comes back?

If it's anything like last year, early May.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well the Voice of Rao is Brainiac now. Or at least his sentry.

I'm glad they are giving house Vex something to do besides be the most ineffectual villains ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well the Voice of Rao is Brainiac now. Or at least his sentry.

I'm glad they are giving house Vex something to do besides be the most ineffectual villains ever.

Called it.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
A decent little interview with the guy that plays the character of Rao/Brainiac: https://www.tvinsider.com/680836/krypton-rao-brainiac-blake-ritson-interview/

This is what I want to know more about. This Rao who we find out is a human's past, how he became what he is (or was).

I guess I'll spoiler tag this part too, just in case.

quote:

He can also influence the actions of his followers. The devout will do whatever he says...

I mean, he's effectively a cult leader! He's thought to be a semi-deity channeling the will of Rao. And I think Episode 4's real reveal is that he is purely human and a very shrewd political operator.

That has been part of the fun thus far, is what is under the mask? Is it something semi-robotic? Is it something alien? And I think the reveal in Episode 4 really is: No, he really is purely human.

Will we find out exactly what the Voice of Rao's endgame was before being infected?

Well, the exact identity of who he was before he was infected is, for now at least, something of a mystery. But we may yet discover more about that as the show continues.

That's a lot of blacked out words. Sorry :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite ending months ago Syfy apparently just now canceled Ghost Wars?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I don't understand why SyFy does what it does. The Ghost Wars cancellation sure, but I still miss Dark Matter.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dark Matter's greatest sin was wasting a cast that clearly was better at goofing off and having fun with almost exclusively super serious plots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its also burned through like 20 plotlines in its first 2 seasons.

Although in fairness that forward momentum is the only thing that kept me watching it that long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knee posted:

I don't understand why SyFy does what it does. The Ghost Wars cancellation sure, but I still miss Dark Matter.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

Dark Matter squandered its banked goodwill in its third season. The big corporate war was largely absent, the laid-out warnings all happen in the span of six episodes, and it all just wanders around like its a 20-episode show with room to let plotlines come and go instead of a 12-episode show that needs to keep them flowing concurrently.

Killjoys' third season owned it so hard the show got its fourth AND final season locked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hopefully we see more stuff like 12 Monkeys and Expanse and less crap like killjoy and ghost wars.