Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I'm usually not a fan of Syfy shows but I've been tearing through Sanctuary since it seems like I've watched every other good sci fi show ever on TV. It's low budget as hell in some places but others it's really surprising what they've done. If you haven't watched it I would really recommend it. The second and third season especially have been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Spookmaster posted:

I'm usually not a fan of Syfy shows but I've been tearing through Sanctuary since it seems like I've watched every other good sci fi show ever on TV. It's low budget as hell in some places but others it's really surprising what they've done. If you haven't watched it I would really recommend it. The second and third season especially have been really good.

Finally, someone else!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Capone posted:

Finally got around to watching Red Faction. It really was surprisingly good, considering it has the double stain of being both a video game movie and a Syfy original movie.

I haven't played Red Faction Armageddon yet, does it actually continue the story from the TV movie?

No.

The game is also really bad. Skip it or rent it if you really really want to see how bland it is.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

IRQ posted:

No.

The game is also really bad. Skip it or rent it if you really really want to see how bland it is.

Better yet, buy Red Faction: Guerrilla. It is probably super cheap by now.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Finally, someone else!

Other than Kate all the characters are really well written and the stories are great. Kate is just awful though. Also Tesla is the best

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Was Kate written out of the show in the last week's episode? Sure seemed like it. It at least made her re-occuring like Tesla.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Teek posted:

Was Kate written out of the show in the last week's episode? Sure seemed like it. It at least made her re-occuring like Tesla.

Not sure, I really wouldn't mind if she was. There really doesn't always need to be a sassy female team member.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Ack, they're not writing out Henry too are they? Kate seems to be gone for good, as she's no longer in the opening.

You guys were asking about Face Off, Syfy updated their site to include a promo video for next season. It returns January 11th:

http://video.syfy.com/shows/faceoff/v1362732

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2011

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

It seems like Kate will be like Tesla and just show up every once in a while now which is great since other than Magnus Syfy doesnt have a clue how to right a strong female character.

On that note I finally got around to watching Riese....What the hell is this show trying to be. It seems like some terrible robin hood fanfic with random pointless steampunk cogwheels thrown all over the place. The scene with the Empress training in the shoji screen room with the random silhouettes of giant cog's all over the place was beyond absurd. I like Amanda Tapping as much as the next guy, but god is that narration awful. The only saving grace is Harric's over the top gimp costume but still...awful

Also is Warehouse 13 worth watching?

The Spookmaster fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 24, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, if you like Sanctuary, you will probably like it as well.

In channel news:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/10/28/syfy-films-acquires-first-project-with-wild-cards-628011/20111028syfy01/

I'm sure that news is sure to thrill everyone in the TBB bad thread.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Earlier in the thread back when the doctor that appeared in Warehouse 13 a couple times showed up on Alphas, we had a discussion about the suitability of crossing over the SyFy shows. Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas are all now confirmed to be in the same universe, but I think everyone decided Sanctuary should stay off in its own universe.

Tonight's Sanctuary episode reminded me that I would accept a crossover in one instance: Establishing that the Nikola Tesla that built the guns the Warehouse uses is Sanctuary's Nikola Tesla. I just love seeing that rear end in a top hat show up out of nowhere.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Tesla is definitely one of the high points of Sanctuary.

You know, with Helen travelling back in time, I'd almost wish there would have been more talk of her finding some way to save Ashley this time around in secret.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only watched the first and last seasons of Eureka so far and most of Warehouse 13, but since they're both in the same universe, do they ever mention or reconcile Carl Carlson and Artie Neilsen being the same person?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Three new series in the works:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/09/syfy-announces-three-new-scripted-projects/110146/

Untitled Robert H Wolfe Project: "After decades of war, the newly formed Unity Democracy orders a volatile mix of humans and trans-humans to lead the Starship Defender on an expedition in search of lost worlds requiring law and order."

No idea who Wolfe was, but apparently he's a writer Alphas and was on The Dresden Files. Might be decent, but there's nothing in that description that screams must watch. It's a new space opera for the channel, which is great, but there's nothing there which generates any interest for me.

Seeing Things: "A cop becomes a ghost after his violent death and the only person who can help close his last case is a socially Awkward man who realizes that the hallucinations he’s had all his life may not be a figment of his imagination."

I believe I saw something about this being in development before. Thank god the guy stays a ghost though, and isn't reincarnated.

Ghost Projekt "Based on the popular comic series, a female KGB agent and male American weapons inspector form an unlikely partnership when a deadly force is unwittingly unleashed from a Siberian research facility."

Don't know anything about the comic series it's based on, anyone familiar with it?

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 9, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not familiar with Ghost Projekt either, but at least it sounds like it could be interesting. And I'll give the space opera one a shot just because it's not like there's any other space show on TV at the moment. It'll be nice to see spaceships again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Popular Comic series" that like 4 people have read.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Better than more loving wrestling or ghost hunters.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenNight posted:

Better than more loving wrestling or ghost hunters.

This should be in the thread title for any new syfy shows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This was a few weeks ago but I really didn't see that lesbian kiss coming in Sanctuary.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

It was a total boner city.

On a non boner note Warehouse 13 is really great. I'm almost through season 2

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SyFy Megathread: At least it's sci-fi this time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sanctuary is doing a musical episode next week.

I blame Glee for this poo poo.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

No idea who Wolfe was, but apparently he's a writer Alphas and was on The Dresden Files. Might be decent, but there's nothing in that description that screams must watch. It's a new space opera for the channel, which is great, but there's nothing there which generates any interest for me.

Wolfe had a hand in DS9 and then he went and did the first couple seasons of Andromeda before Hercules ran him off from what I remember.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Who's ready for some Booster Gold?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-booster-gold-greg-berlanti-261801

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Who thinks singing episodes are good?? gently caress you sanctuary

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Spookmaster posted:

I've always suspected drama majors think singing is the peak of hilarity.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Spookmaster posted:

I think it was Xena that actually started it, now it's just a cheap way to trawl for emmys.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Swiller of Beer posted:

Wolfe had a hand in DS9 and then he went and did the first couple seasons of Andromeda before Hercules ran him off from what I remember.

Yep, and this sounds like Andromeda Season 1 2.0 which was awesome, so I am all over this. Love me some space opera/starship tv. It's about loving time. If Siffy can do shows like this and Alphas they can show wrestling 20 hours a day for all I care!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just a heads up reminder that three shows will be airing their *new* Holiday episodes next Tuesday, which will include Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Haven. All 3 are in-continuity but are airing out of order of where they would take place in the current run of the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Astroman posted:

Yep, and this sounds like Andromeda Season 1 2.0 which was awesome, so I am all over this. Love me some space opera/starship tv. It's about loving time. If Siffy can do shows like this and Alphas they can show wrestling 20 hours a day for all I care!

Yeah, he was with DS9 for 5 years and wrote episodes like The Wire and Second Skin. After that he developed Andromeda off Gene's notes (like Earth: Final Conflict) and was exec producer/head writer on that until Hercules ran him off after season 2.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 2, 2011

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I'm looking forward to that a ton. DS9 has always been my favorite sci-fi show and the first few seasons of Andromeda were great before it got absurd.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For anyone interested, Neverland will finally premiere tonight on Syfy. It's their take on a prequel to Peter Pan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

For anyone interested, Neverland will finally premiere tonight on Syfy. It's their take on a prequel to Peter Pan.

Bob Hoskins returns as Smee, too!

io9 reviewed the first half - said it has great actors, characterization and sets/backgrounds but suffers from trying to be too dark and gritty. It also criticizes the sexy pirate captain but since she's played by Anna Friel I think I can live with that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh hey, it's the annual Siffy miniseries? Yeah ok. They're usually at least bad enough to laugh at.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

A Lannister is always up to no good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This Neverland thing really wasn't half bad, all things considered.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

IRQ posted:

This Neverland thing really wasn't half bad, all things considered.

Rhys Ifans in a bowler and a sexy pirate queen, a good building blocks for any story.

Edit: You grow a whole city out of wood with alchemy and advanced tech...and you never think of any sort of fire fighting/prevention system?

VBane fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 5, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

As plot holes on siffy miniseries go, that's really not so bad. Not that you aren't right, but relatively, it's forgivable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, so far at least this is definitely better than Tin Man or Alice (and I say that as one of the few people here who seem to actually like Tin Man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, so far at least this is definitely better than Tin Man or Alice (and I say that as one of the few people here who seem to actually like Tin Man).

You are not alone my brother, save for the abrupt ending. And even Alice wasn't that bad to me, though I think the casting is skewing my opinion there (Matt Frewer, Tim Curry and Colm Meaney? Heaven.)