Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Holy crap there's THREE people watching this weird as hell thing?

Thread I made, if anyone is interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794834

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
And yet they killed Aftermath :(

RIP

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I just realized, Syfy didn't do one of their annual December prestige miniseries last year, did they?

Also, Syfy is doing Sharknado 5, which I'm honestly a bit surprised about, I thought that the fourth one bombed.

Bombed does not mean, did not turn a profit. That's pretty much the Asylum's business model.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Oh man, I thought Blood Drive was going to be a tv movie. Why is Syfy making me love them again, is their plan to start airing wrestlemania when they tell me this is on?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I am glad they are having 12 Monkey's back next year, even with the weird as gently caress plan to burn off all of season 3 next weekend.

It is weird to see on a broadcast channel, but I think they are doing a test to see if they should treat shows similar to how Netflix productions work. I'm not sure if the money these days is actually in live broadcast advertising and reruns, it may actually be in online streaming on their site, or when they sell the show to netflix. So, in this case what it does is make the show a BIG deal all at once, instead of getting less attention over the span of 10 weeks. That's a total guess though, but hell I love I won't have to wait week to week for it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Controversial opinion: I don't think she's that bad.

I like that she seems to be having fun?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Kesper North posted:

There's witty banter, the worldbuilding is fun, some of the actors and characters are great, the ones that aren't aren't too annoying, and they take a refreshingly unconventional attitude toward relationships.

That scene in the scum bar with all the tough criminal dudes telling Davin(?) to never insult his man's mother was amazing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

More critically, I don't think the show has a lot of value. It's schlock for its own sake and doesn't seem terribly self aware about that fact.

This is confusing to me because Blood Drive screamed self awareness. It knows it is dumb, and gory, and full of swears and nudity like it was written by a high schooler. But it totally took its premise as a dare. "Do we go this far?" and they seemed to never say no.

I will admit I agree with some concerns on portrayals of things, but at the very least the show is treating everyone poorly, not just pretty women.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I wasn't really sure what to expect going into it other than A) Cars that run on blood, and B) some sort of Mad Max -ish world where A makes sense(or not, lol). I think the mash up of styles will be the interesting draw, but I also think alot will be turned off by it if there's too much difference from ep to ep. One of fake ads sort of hinted at that with the 13 different covers, Ep 1 being the Death Race tribute, others were more like monster movie, vampires, teen camp slasher, etc. all while staying in the same framed story. Of course it might be a lot more fluid, since in ep1 there was already a mix of buddy cop movie, cheerleaders, Mayhem/Thunderdome, so the different elements come and go throughout each ep and through the season. Guess gotta watch another to see what it brings!

ANd yeah, call that number, theres a whole hotline setup to register complaints- Press 1 for violence, 2 for nudity, 3 for language, etc- sounds like it was recorded by the Ringmaster character. It does take messages, so who knows if some night you'll be watching and see your message as a billboard or something ha

I left a message telling them to advertise their show better. With some suitable, pointless crass language.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

The meta stuff with Slink discussing how the tv show is going has been really fun and much better than it really could have been.

Apparently Domi and Cliff were originally envisioned to be the main characters when then was just a goofy movie Roland wanted to do with friends, just running down Rt 66 killing folk for fun. Once I realized that their arc was going to be marriage recovery, I still was into it, the show just pulls off the goofyness so well.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

Are the giant black censor boxes a grindhouse nod or is syfy doing that?

Bit of both. They apparently decided to just film everything as they wanted, and to let the censors sort it out later. Had to digitally remove some nipples for instance. Supposedly they are going to be having some fun with the censor bars in an episode or two coming up. They essentially add the censor bars at Syfy's request, but it's not added by some Syfy intern before it airs or anything.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Blood drive is goddammed great.Arthur is a cardboard carachter kinda out of place for the world the show is set up in until you realise that hes the Eye candy and not (just) Ochoa.maybe hes a Android or something

Arthur is also there so that he can have a character fall. You saw it this episode with how he killed RipBone and gave a witty comment. Also Grace had that line last episode about how she was surprised to see that he'd go dark with her if it had to be done.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

double nine posted:

Slink's honestly the best thing about blood drive. And there are many good things about blood drive

Yeah, Slink could be such a lame character but he's been nailing it every episode. Like I don't even mind that he's in these little aside scenes that don't do a whole lot for the current episode, even though it is interesting world building. The actor is just completely going all out and it rules.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

"So uh, why don't we go into the seeder room, milk ourselves? That will... uh, teach them."

Loved this episode of Blood Drive. The Christopher/Aki domestic setup, projectile day-glo vomiting in a hallway that's a mix of The Cube and Inception with the commercial break fakeout, more of Domi, more of the TV executives... even the music was pretty good.

I loved the TV exec whose dying moment was to tell his boss they can't kill the man who stabbed him because Slink's contract had a clause in it.

And the double commercial break vomit fakeout was just perfect.

"If anyone is going to kill me, it should be you" was adorable, I love those two.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Slink is in my Top 2 for "Literally Just Evil Cartoon Characters" along with Judge Doom.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I just looked up what Aki's actor usually looks like, and she is like mid-twenties. Whenever they do closeups on her, they seem to go for "tired aged geisha" look which I think has been a great touch.

Her and Christopher's relationship has been really fun to see develop, and I really hope that if the show gets a second season that they are basically just lovey dovey murder cyborgs.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I loved the little side bit with the Murder Nun. Arthur refuses to kill her, and then later when you see her fighting she's also actively avoiding killing moves now. Then Arthur killed her.

It was a really nice touch that made Arthur's transformation hit a little harder.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Why do those look familiar? I feel like I've seen them in an 80s music video.

Blood Drive feels a little lost since they deviated from the race plot, kind of all over the place now. It's like someone else took over the show, which I realize is what happened in the show. (Brilliant or messy?) A big part of the plot is the fight for creative control and series survival from the corporate overlords. Arthur and Grace are really almost incidental at this point. And this soul reclamator thing, seems out of the blue. I'm liking it but it's not going anywhere I expected it to go and I'm starting to wonder if it's going anywhere at all.

It's not as well executed as it was in Adaptation, but I think the change in focus of the show and it'd not being as tight is actually intentional as things got more and more distracted the more Heart Enterprises has been putting pressure on Slink to change things. Even if it were just general sloppiness it's just happening to fit well here.
Arthur's heel turn has been foreshadowed the entire time, and in a way I'm glad they went so over the top with it, just to kind of justify how over the top goody two-shoes he was at the start.

I love Aki and Christopher's arc, because it started off with her literally punching the poo poo out of him, and now she calls him "babe" as they hatch schemes together.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Psychologists would have a field day with Aki and Christopher's relationship, Stockholm's among other things. If their genders were reversed it would be obvious. It's not a love affair it's a syndrome.

In the context of the show, it might be one of the healthier relationships in that world.

VVV
That setup took forever too, it was awesome

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 25, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I'm willing to bet, had Blood Drive gotten a season 2, and went with a continuation story, people would have been saved from Heart Industries exploding because the building would literally crap them out. Kind of the only reason they would have mentioned that the building does that earlier in the episode. Also, let's me have my fan fiction happy ending :(

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Syfy somehow became a channel that is making or at least broadcasting a lot of really good content. Not sure who is behind the helm right now but they are doing something right.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Meanwhile I was watching Jurassic Park on CMT, and "God drat" and "Jesus" are apparently too intense to be used on that channel and were edited out.

What do you expect from Christian Music Television?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

Yeah that was a weird shot, I think it was implying that just as they can't leave, that no one from the mainland can get to the island either.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

It was had to take the trailer seriously when it was hyping up how "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A THING LIKE THIS!!!" when it just looks exactly like Event Horizon. Like the GRRM influence is going to be what exactly? Or did all he do was copy EH after he watched it?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Killjoys has fantastic music choices, really helps set the tone of the show.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Leader of the Talkers or leader of the Anti zombie militia. Nothing inbetween

I kinda hope he comes back as a talker that stayed (partially) sane by eating other zombie brains, but he's still nuts, just not brain dead yet.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Z-Nation is definitely on the right track again. It does feel like it is getting ready to wrap up, and that's given a lot of focus to whats going on. I seriously wonder if anyone who works on the Walking Dead watches ZNation and wishing they were half as good as this shoe-string budget schlock made by experts in b-movie production.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

So, Z-Nation adjacent, but I found out today that Black Summer is getting a second season. If you didn't see it, Black Summer was ZNation's darker less absurd prequel. I liked it a lot, it wasn't some genre defining masterpeice but enjoyable and I'm excited for a sequel season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

tomapot posted:

That slowmo music scene, then the makeout session with the mayor and his wife was awesome.

The sound design was hilarious during that scene, the music was literally drowning out the dialog from the other characters. It was WAY too loud in the best way.