Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I liked Killjoys fine, but I didn't think it was revolutionary (and it was occasionally quite poor). Perfectly willing to see where the series goes, but I think the thing that hurts it the most is the poor music / scoring choices.

Lots of cool world building elements though, and a lot of cool ideas. Perfectly willing to stick with it for at least this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

Yeah, if they bring Defiance back it needs to be one hell of a season premiere. No foolishness like a season without Nolan and Doc.

If they do a fourth season, I'm guessing it'll feature Nolan and Yewell encountering the Volge homeworld. (They're apparently not native to the Votanis system, and technically aren't a Votan race.)

There's also the possibility that they'll bring the Kenya clone back into things. I also remember reading speculation at the time (not here) that the Pottinger that we see in Season 3 is another Indogene copy, because he's missing certain jewllery and his hands aren't scarred. But I've never gone and checked for comparison, could just be bullshit.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 16, 2015

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a little silly, but in the sense that it's fun, not that it's wacky.

I like that the leads are all legitimately nice and generous people who actually want to help others out, rather than the kind of selfish, browbeaten pricks that populate the Walking Dead and suchlike.

I also like that episodes of the show are structured kinda like SouthLAnd's. Each episode has a number of parallel story arcs, each made up of a string of separate incidents -- some comedic, some violent, some friendly. The characters are defined by how they react to events, rather than by what they want. And it allows them to showcase a lot of different stuff each episode, without it getting too old.

(I'm also enjoying Van Helsing. It's doing cool things with structure and the Simon Barry -- the Continuum guy -- is very clear).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really, did no one like Channel Zero? Maybe I'm easily amused, but I'm on board for the rest of the season (it's a short season) at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

Why did I think Anne Heche was gay?

She was in a relationship with Ellen for a while. She's had an interesting life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Licarn posted:

This week's Van Helsing was a lot better than the previous ones. It actually got me interested enough to think about who the killer is. The vampires are still ridiculous though.

I'm growing to quite enjoy it, but every time they cut away to the random resistance characters I aggressively stop caring. Thought that Laura Mennell (from Alphas) was responsible for the first actually interesting vampire moment, though. I guess she's obviously loving with her prey, but I kinda hope that she was actually, randomly, stupidly, merciful, as that's more interesting than her setting an obvious trap.

What's the goon consensus on the relationship between Mo and the deaf guy? I keep going back and forth on whether they're co-dependent, or in love (and platonic) or in love (and loving). I found Christopher Heyerdahl's performance deeply moving, whatever the case.

Have absolutely no idea who the serial killer is, though if I had to guess I suspect we're looking at two different murderers -- the blonde girl killed the first girl because of some sort of personal motivation. But Axle (or someone) killed the patient in order to get the new group of survivors to gently caress off faster.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Licarn posted:

I liked it.

:rip: the hospital, the only important character that died this episode

All of Axle's traps going off was beautiful. Shame those filing cabinets couldn't have cameo'd last week, and fallen on one of those arsehole usurper's heads.

Also, I now have absolutely no idea who the serial killer could be. If there even is one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. Now I have to watch Van Helsing.

Ended up being quite a strong show, when it's not focusing too much on the villains. (i.e. after the first four episodes or so).

It's also doing that really odd Carnivale thing where the villains and the heroes are basically on completely different shows, and might eventually bump into each other, but that's probably going to be a while off still.

I hope they continue to bump cast members off, one an episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slamhound posted:

An advanced screening of Incorporated leaked.

Syfy put it up on their youtube channel.

It's not bad. I've enjoyed pretty much everything Syfy's put out this year -- not Hunters -- though I'll give it a few episodes to see where it's going and what kind of stories it's going to be telling before I judge whether it's for me or not.

The cast has some great character actors in it though -- Damon Herriman (Dewey Crowe!), Julia Ormond and Dennis Haysbert are all great, solid actors. And I've always liked Sean Teale. Which makes me more excited for it than anything strictly in the pilot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I liked the grimness, and some of the performances were great, but the accents consistently took me out of the entire thing.

Of course, all Australians who actually can do American accents are already in Hollywood, so the show was always going to struggle in that department.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Really happy to see channel zero get a second season. It's about ten times better than any season of American horror story and has amazing editing, which gives it a nightmareish tension. It's probably the only tv show in a long time that's got me actually freaked out. Reminds me a bit of stranger things too.

I think they ordered two "seasons" of the show when they started it. So if we do see a renewal, it'll be for another two arcs, rather than just another six episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Licarn posted:

Also, Doc was the real murderer, right? It seemed too clean-cut that the rear end in a top hat (and attempted rapist) that no one liked did it, and John looked pretty surprised when they found the finger. It was Doc that made the initial allegation against him by saying the marks on New Girl's neck were familiar, and she was making claims that no one would/could question coming from her like how it was the same kind of knife that cut the fingers off.

I think she was setting John up, and then seen an opportunity and took it, but he was a piece of poo poo so :shrug:

I thought this episode pretty much confirmed it was Sam. His murder reaction was really out there, even given everything that's been happening to them. It's currently not clear how much Mohammad knows about his mental health, though.

I'm honestly really enjoying this far, far more than I thought it would. It's not revolutionary, but it's an incredibly solid show, with a very strong sense of characterization -- in that methodical, non-showy way that Continuum also had. (Simon Barry directed this episode!) That it's willing to really dig into and encourage us to empathize with its characters, despite how horrible they'll occasionally be, really pushes it over the edge for me.

That said, I laughed out loud at how long they were willing to hold off on culty dude's reaction. That was a solid ten seconds he was frozen there, staring straight at the camera.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Like, at this stage I'm fully expecting Mohammed to be luring Vanessa to Dmitri because that just seems right now.

Moh's safe until he meets his sister. And presumably she kills him. But I have no idea where the second season of this show could go, and it's glorious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if the show has actually said it but are we supposed to assume that the resistance girl who started working for the vampires is Mohammed's sister?

I think we're meant to connect the two based on them having the same name? (Sheema)

Though I wouldn't put it out of the show's wheelhouse to pull a fast one there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Syfy's also commissioning a pilot written by Grant Morrison and starring Chris Meloni next year, called 'Happy!'. No guarantee that it'll go to series, but they'd be stupid not to throw money at it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Happy! is one of my favorite Grant Morrison comics ever. How in the hell will they get the fifty 'Fucks' per page on TV though?

Sci-fi's recently graduated to letting its characters swear a lot more, though they still wipe out the 'fucks'. But The Magicians has about half a dozen an episode, and it gets away with it. Presumably they'll only be censored on broadcast, and uncensored on the dvds.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's averaging half a million viewers per episode, and holding pretty steady. I think it's got decent chances of being renewed, particularly since Syfy's basically renewing everything these days.

Edit: Looking at those ratings, uh... it's going to be a lot closer than I'd like.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 23, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Euugh.

Renew Incorporated already. You just know that streaming audiences are going to eat that poo poo up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Now that The Expanse and The Magicians are back I don't know if they've announced when anything else will be back or what will be new this year.

The channel's still sitting on Blood Drive, which is all filmed and has been for about six months. I'm guessing they're not happy with it though.

IIRC, next up should be Twelve Monkeys and the second half of Channel Zero's first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In terms of upcoming shows, we've got Krypton and Happy! confirmed the other day, but we've also got the upcoming schlock and B-movie fest Blood Drive, Simon Barry's probably more serious than it sounds Ghost Wars and two other supernatural dramas -- The Haunted, starring Liam McIntyre (Spartacus) and Lyndsy Fonseca (Agent Carter, Nikita) which is still at the pilot stage, and Superstition, which has been ordered straight to series despite still not having a cast (not unusual tbh).

I'm actually pretty happy about several of these -- most excited for Chris Meloni and Grant Morrison on Happy! -- and I think the network's undergone a real shift over the last few years. Buuuut I'm still waiting for the bubble to burst on this whole thing, tbh, and the increased variety of shows means that these shows are going to have increased competition from each other.

(Or, at least, increased perceived competition, at least to some degree. Syfy doesn't actually own Van Helsing, Wynonna Earp or Killjoys, and only has a marginal say in their renewal chances. Same as with Continuum. They're all produced by Showcase, Canada, and are competing against each other, and Travellers, which doesn't even air on Syfy, rather than anything on the channel themselves. For instance, according to a recent press release, Killjoys is apparently Showcase's most highly rated property, which basically guarantees it a fourth season regardless of however it does on Syfy.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Farscape, and it's one of my favourite shows. It's got humour, heart, great SFX and characters, memorable set-pieces and performances, and it never, ever half-arsed it.

I love that even its worst episode is excellent, simply because it's actually incredibly, wonderfully, fantastically bad.

I'd go so far as to argue that Back And Back And Back To The Future is potentially one of the best worst episodes of television ever made; it's up there with the likes of the Olympus finale and Xena's Married With Fishsticks, as far as I'm concerned. It's a loving laugh riot and I love it to pieces.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It was the highest rated show on the channel, too.

I gather that there was at least one executive working for Syfy (then Sci-Fi) who absolutely hated the show, partially for how serialised it was and partly because he felt it was silly and gave sci-fi (syfy!) a bad name.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

How do people like this become network heads?

You don't get ahead in business by being one of the namby pampy wishy washy bleeding heart noncommercial artists.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The only thing bad about Killjoys is that the seasons are a few episodes too short.

Also, that Monogrenade never released that killer song that was featured in the first season finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double nine posted:

that's the nun we've been seeing, so is she a former primo, or just a racer from a time where they didn't kill off the losers?

I think back in the first episode, Slink said that the bombs were new to the race this year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm super into whatever the hell that show is. Plus, it's Simon Barry, so it's always going to be this weird mix of great characterisation, interesting structural concepts and being (at least) a little bit dorky.

That trailer made me laugh and feel unsettled, so I'd be there regardless.

(Speaking of Barry, here's the trailer for the second season of Van Helsing -- which I also ended up really enjoying, bar the super weird final episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDFpYnBS3A)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Blood Drive cancelled. Boo!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of new shows, has anyone seen any trailers for Superstition? Like it's meant to start this week, and it's got Mario Van Peebles and W. Earl Brown, and I've not heard a single thing about it.

I've seen trailers for Ghost Wars and Van Helsing's second season, which are also on this week, and a lot of buzz for Happy! I'm guessing maybe SyFy's embarrassed by it? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I think I'm going to hold off on any new shows on this channel until they at least get a season 2.

Isn't that counterproductive?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Magicians is just good. Everything clicked for me about episode four.

It's fun and funny and nasty.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Van Helsing premier was pretty good too. That wall trap scene owned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I thought it was tonally consistent with it pretty direct in being a straight horror show. I also thought they did a pretty good job subverting some standard tropes, like once things get going people are pretty quick to believe Roman about all the ghost stuff.

That scene in the church was pretty good -- I love that we got to see each of the four different bureaucrats react in different, but logically consistent (and fairly reasonable ways) ways. D'onofrio's drunk the kool-aid, President Servalan Mayor Garza recognises that there's a problem but remains the only holdout in the room, and both the cops don't fully understand what Roman's saying, but understand enough to suggest completely complementary plans.

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

But why does Jules keep wandering off without telling anyone? Inside I assumed it must have been the orb influencing her somehow, but she did it in the real world too. Is she drunk? Stoned? Just a huge flake? People have died because she gave in to a sudden urge to wander off for some orb time. She just seems really unlikable. It would be more understandable if she had some horrific abuse or experiences and what the house offered her was the ability to forget, but nothing we've seen from her perspective hints at anything like that. She has some friction with her mom and feels guilty about how she has treated Margot. There is nothing in her story that explains her desire to :orb:

I think you're right, and that she's doing this deliberately. She doesn't want to be tied down to Margot or her family anymore, but she feels too guilty to leave them. So she's trying to erase them from her memory.

As for the rest, I can't say. I'm an episode behind still. But we haven't had an explanation for why the orb looks like it does, right? Perhaps there's more story to tell here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Christopher Heyerdahl is so loving good in Van Helsing. I mean, he's always been good in everything I've seen him in, but his work here feels like a career best.

Was Simon Barry just really depressed last year or something? Ghost Wars and Van Helsing are both really sad.

I've been wondering this for a while, did he lose a child at some point? I feel like all his shows feature dead or missing children as a central plot point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly think Van Helsing is one of the stronger shows Syfy has these days. I like that it's a post-apocalyptic show that's about the struggle between hope and tragedy, rather than inherently embracing cynicism. It helps a lot that most of its cast are genuinely good people, particularly -- and ironically -- most of the ex-vampires. Where there's life there's hope. i.e. it's not The Walking Dead.

Also I'm enjoying the weird fantasy elements that pop up around the edges of the story, like those STALKER sewer vampires, or this new psychic witch clan.

(Also, isn't The Expanse technically bleaker? The future sucks, cruelty and exploitation rules unchecked, and humanity is treated as extraneous to human expansion. I feel like The Expanse has killed way more people as well.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not technically the thread for it, but I figure there's a decent crossover audience here. Anyone been watching the second season of Travelers. Jesus, what an utter clusterfuck.

(In a good way.)

STAC Goat posted:

Is that a Season 2 change because in Season 1 of Van Helsing it seems like just about everyone was evil at some stage or another and I remember just about hating everyone left alive when the season was done.

Don't get me wrong, Van Helsing is still a story about the apocalypse. But pretty much every hero who survived last season -- even Doc -- has found some level of redemption this year, and a reason to carry on living.

And like I said, the season's very much about hope. Bad things still happen -- the show's never going to be light and fluffy -- but it's balanced out by a series of wins. And it's not The Walking Dead: there aren't any cannibal cults here, or ridiculous rape armies or whatever the gently caress that show's doing now. Vanessa and company have run across two separate human communities this year, and neither of them harboured dark secrets. One was even downright friendly -- and then weren't subsequently murdered for the crime of being decent people. The cast of heroes has expanded, people who seemed like they'd be antagonists turned out to be friendly, decent people, and nearly all of the dickheads from last year are dead or have been turned back human.

Again, I'm pretty sure some of the characters are going to die, and I'll be really sad about that when it happens, but that's because I genuinely like and care for these people. It's the same for Ghost Wars (and Continuum earlier). Simon Barry has a gift for creating likeable, believable characters who are weak and strong in very recognisable and human ways. I genuinely dig his stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My theory is that there's two things going on.

Firstly, D'Onofrio's priest is holding a lot of guilt (stemming from, I think it's implied, the death of Roman's mother). He's trying to use the orb in his basement to resurrect the dead, starting with Marcus. Hence the fuckery with the Mayor's daughters. He tried to resurrect Marcus, using the weird ectoplasm/veiny plant stuff to build him a new body -- but only succeeded in transferring the kid's consciousness into the body of one of the girls. As a result, Abigail's spirit had nowhere to go and is now stuck cohabiting her sister's body.

(It's not clear what's going on with Marcus. He's either possessed, or he's actually an enormous psychopath. Given the way his spirit was acting, that's my theory.)

The whole thing started with some sort of deliberate fuckery on Lamda's part (remember how they forced the experiment to start early, presumably to deliberately coincide with whatever caused the "earthquake"). Their deal is unclear, but I assume that the show will get around to it in coming seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd have to be a very broken soul to not love the Spanish Telenovella episode of Warehouse 13.

I thought I saw the entire show, but I don't remember ever seeing this episode.

(My favourite artefact disaster was the random cancan dancer flashback from the finale. It's beautiful.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

At least Syfy showed the first season of ConMan recently. That was light fare.

They're officially producing the second season, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, maybe, but you've got The Expanse's third season adapting the second book in that series, Game Of Thrones took two seasons to adapt the third book in that series, and it's increasingly looking like Runaways is spinning an entire season out of somewhere between one and six issues of a comic. Oh, and however many seasons they want to wring out of American Gods (at least three was the last I heard).

I can see why that's annoying, but of those, at least The Magicians knows how to structure a satisfying season of television.

(In some sense The Expanse does as well, if you consider the first season to run from Season 1 Episode 1 to Season 2 Episode 5).