Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«269 »
lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Hm, I haven't considered the Clara HD yet and the Kobos look interesting as well. Will look further into what they have to offer. Thank you, Foxtrot_13 and sourdough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

Looks like the newest Paperwhite has a decently higher resolution display than that Pocketbook thing, fwiw. It looks like there are some tangible downsides to getting epub support.

When did Kindles stop supporting ePub? I've been using Calibre to send ePubs to my Kindles for years but I don't recall if I've used that function since I got my Oasis.

Silly Burrito
Nov 26, 2007

Get the hell
out of my way.

New Orleans Saints:
Three Straight

Championships!

Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When did Kindles stop supporting ePub? I've been using Calibre to send ePubs to my Kindles for years but I don't recall if I've used that function since I got my Oasis.

Calibre automatically converts them in the background.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They never have. Calibre knows what formats each e-reader supports and automatically converts your books to a format the reader understands, if necessary.

Apr 7, 2003

Wow! Thanks Calibre!

e: Is there any disadvantage to using Calibre to do that conversion? ie, is a lack of native ePub support really a reason to avoid using a Kindle really a problem if the conversion process is effective and you don't lose anything in the process?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 4, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wow! Thanks Calibre!

e: Is there any disadvantage to using Calibre to do that conversion? ie, is a lack of native ePub support really a reason to avoid using a Kindle really a problem if the conversion process is effective and you don't lose anything in the process?

I suspect there could be formatting issues in some particular instances or breaking of toc links or that kind of thing, but I haven't run into that ever yet so it can't be too common. I don't think there's anything else that could possibly go wrong.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Illegal Hen

One thing I like about my Kobo over my Kindle is that Calibre can add series info on the Kobo, but can't on the Kindle.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Illegal Hen

Welp this is frustrating... my 32gb Forma had the backlight inconsistency along the button side, but particularly bad and a lot worse than my 8gb. So I sent it back under warranty, and they sent me a refurbished replacement with even worse screen problems. A whole line of dead pixels along one side, the same backlight issue but even worse, and some sort of scratch inside the screen that glows like lightning when the backlight is on. I can only imagine the reason they're having sales is to clear out their stock, and at this point the only stuff left is the worst. Hopefully they'll approve a refund because who the hell wants a replacement that's even worse than the original?!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Between my wife and I, we have quite a few Kindle books, and itís a little scary that if something happened with our account, we could just lose them all instantly, probably with no recourse.

Is there any way to back up your own Kindle books?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY

smackfu posted:

Between my wife and I, we have quite a few Kindle books, and itís a little scary that if something happened with our account, we could just lose them all instantly, probably with no recourse.

Copy them off the Kindle or go into your accountís Manage Devices and Content page and download them and using a DeDRM plugin (not sure I can specify, but itís easily searchable on Google) with Calibre. This way you can read them on any device you own.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

DeDRM doesn't work with the newer kindle encryption, you have to download a much older version of the desktop reader that doesn't support the new encryption and DeDRM that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I've been rocking a Kindle Voyage for the last 5 or so years. Nothing at all wrong with it but I like the warmer backlight of the Kindle Oasis. Spending £230 for a warmer backlight is too much of an ask for me, so I'm wondering if there's otherwise a significant difference between the Voyage and the Oasis.

Waterproofing and a larger screen are nice too but again I can't justify the cost just for those things.

Silly Burrito
Nov 26, 2007

Get the hell
out of my way.

New Orleans Saints:
Three Straight

Championships!

Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been rocking a Kindle Voyage for the last 5 or so years. Nothing at all wrong with it but I like the warmer backlight of the Kindle Oasis. Spending £230 for a warmer backlight is too much of an ask for me, so I'm wondering if there's otherwise a significant difference between the Voyage and the Oasis.

Waterproofing and a larger screen are nice too but again I can't justify the cost just for those things.

The physical buttons and the ability to switch hands by flipping it upside down is something I use frequently. The buttons alone are almost worth it to me, as the Voyage buttons werenít great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

I came from a Paperwhite to the new Oasis so I'm not sure how the battery life on the Voyage was, but one thing to consider is that instead of my Paperwhite's "oh yeah it's been 3 months I'd better charge this thing" battery the Oasis has me charging every week or so. That's not a huge burden for me because I'm usually reading at home but if you're someone who needs to not charge your Kindle often the Oasis definitely takes a hit in that regard. However, the new Oasis is worlds more comfortable to hold for me. Being able to just turn the thing over and switch hands is great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 26, 2007

Get the hell
out of my way.

New Orleans Saints:
Three Straight

Championships!

Lipstick Apathy

Thatís true. The Paperwhites have the best battery life by a long shot. I still get decent life with the Oasis but itís nowhere close as the PW. But, a quick charge every 2-3 weeks depending on my usage is not a big deal.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY

Foxtrot_13 posted:

DeDRM doesn't work with the newer kindle encryption, you have to download a much older version of the desktop reader that doesn't support the new encryption and DeDRM that.

Right, forgot that bit though the documentation clearly states that.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001

Pillbug

Am I missing something here?

DeDRM has issues with the new KFX format, which Calibre can't import from the Kindle anyway, but when using the Downloading and Transfer via USB funtionality mentioned above, the file is in AZW3 format, and can manually be imported into Calibre, where the DRM is stripped away by DeDRM on import.

That's what I've been doing since Calibre said it couldn't copy the book from my USB connected Kindle due to format changes. I checked the most recent books I've bought and they are DRM free in Calibre.

Edit: Just checked the DeDRM forum, and manually downloading from the Amazon website works, but apparently you only get that option if you have an e-Ink Kindle?

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 13, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY

Fart of Presto posted:

Am I missing something here?

DeDRM has issues with the new KFX format, which Calibre can't import from the Kindle anyway, but when using the Downloading and Transfer via USB funtionality mentioned above, the file is in AZW3 format, and can manually be imported into Calibre, where the DRM is stripped away by DeDRM on import.

That's what I've been doing since Calibre said it couldn't copy the book from my USB connected Kindle due to format changes. I checked the most recent books I've bought and they are DRM free in Calibre.

Edit: Just checked the DeDRM forum, and manually downloading from the Amazon website works, but apparently you only get that option if you have an e-Ink Kindle?

Yep. Alternatively grab an old version of the Kindle Cloud Reader and you can get a version of the book in the format you can DeDRM. This is how Iím backing up my manga purchases.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Wow! Thanks Calibre!

as long as calibre is converting to AZW3 (not mobi) the only thing you should notice for most books is the lack of automatic hyphenation of words at line breaks
There's a KFX (Amazon's new format) output plugin that does that but it's very finicky and will completely reject epubs with any unsupported features

eddiewalker
Apr 27, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

as long as calibre is converting to AZW3 (not mobi) the only thing you should notice for most books is the lack of automatic hyphenation of words at line breaks
There's a KFX (Amazon's new format) output plugin that does that but it's very finicky and will completely reject epubs with any unsupported features

There's a Calibre tab called "Polish Books" that will add soft hyphens to AZW3. Is that what you're after?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.

Buglord

smackfu posted:

Between my wife and I, we have quite a few Kindle books, and it’s a little scary that if something happened with our account, we could just lose them all instantly, probably with no recourse.

As 8-bit Miniboss said, the DeDRM plugin (useful google phrase is "Apprentice Alf") will be your friend here.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

FWIW if you have a physical kindle with a serial number, you can pretty much always use the "download and transfer via usb" method to get a kindle file encrypted for that device, and the DeDRM plugin can handle that no problem. (i never transfer books wirelessly; i download them to my laptop, load them into calibre+DeDRM, and then push them to the kindle over USB.)

Apr 7, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

There's a Calibre tab called "Polish Books" that will add soft hyphens to AZW3. Is that what you're after?

I canít read Polish, is there an English version of this plugin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Silly Burrito posted:

That’s true. The Paperwhites have the best battery life by a long shot. I still get decent life with the Oasis but it’s nowhere close as the PW. But, a quick charge every 2-3 weeks depending on my usage is not a big deal.

I don't know if this reaches the PW battery life, but the Oasis has a low battery option that definitely gives me 2/3 months charge. It just extremely slowly boots up instead of slowly boots up

«269 »