Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

I love the Oasis but my battery is awful. Bought it brand-new, and going from a Kindle Keyboard (!) to Oasis I was shocked. Airplane mode is a must unless I want to charge it every couple of days. In Airplane mode it lasts quite a bit longer.

Was thinking mine is defective, but I see a lot of reviews noting the same thing so I think maybe my expectations were too high.

Just piling on to say this has been my experience too. Mine is a few years old and the difference between having airplane mode on and off is something like a day or two vs. a couple of weeks of battery life. It's still an absolute joy to use, and if you're disciplined about airplane mode you might not be too irritated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, wifi is the battery killer on the oasis. With it on, maybe a day of use, or two. Off, couple weeks easy. I just leave it off and turn it on when I email myself books or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I decided to go ahead and try out the Poke 3, so I'll let you know how I find it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, wifi is the battery killer on the oasis. With it on, maybe a day of use, or two. Off, couple weeks easy. I just leave it off and turn it on when I email myself books or something.

Yeah, I don't know what it's doing but as an anecdotal test I ran both my Oasis and Kobo Forma in standby with the wifi left on and the Oasis was just sucking it down for no apparent reason. The Forma was much more reasonable with it that I don't put it in airplane mode often.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run my PW gen1 in airplane mode, but it's so old that it's becoming apparent that the battery is slowly failing. I still get a week or two out of it, though.

A local shop has a demo model of a PW3 for sale at <$50, so I might grab that...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Yeah same here. It's definitely something they need to address. I just turn on wifi to sync with Calibre and turn it back off after. It doesn't really affect me but the Oasis is stupid expensive and this shouldn't be an issue.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This has been an issue for as long as the Kindle has had wifi, though. Amazon just gives no fucks.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I decided to go ahead and try out the Poke 3, so I'll let you know how I find it.

I bought one and it’s working great. Mainly reading via the Amazon kindle app and a library app so haven’t tested the store.

Did have to do some weirdness to get the Google play App Store working.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Wibla posted:

This has been an issue for as long as the Kindle has had wifi, though. Amazon just gives no fucks.

Amazon devices purportedly report home a lot with stuff like reader metrics. I don't know if that's the issue but in this big data hellworld I choose to believe it's at least related.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I could be wrong but I think the issue with the Oaais is that the weird form factor necessitates a lil bitty battery, at least compared to what's in the PW

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Amazon devices purportedly report home a lot with stuff like reader metrics. I don't know if that's the issue but in this big data hellworld I choose to believe it's at least related.

They could optimize that easily enough anyway - you can compile the data while the device is offline and go online and squirt that data home once per day or whatever.

Also pretty annoying that they collect all of that data, but don't make it available to their users in any way, form or fashion. I'd love to see stats on how long I spent per page per book etc, not because I care overmuch, but to validate my gut feeling about how light or heavy a book is to actually read.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Of course they’ve always drained faster connected, but with my old Kindle Keyboard it would last a solid week with WiFi on. And I’m talking up to a year ago before I passed it on. Like others have said, the Oasis lasts two days.

It’s an awesome device, but it you read on another device and want everything synced it’s a bit of a pain.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I could be wrong but I think the issue with the Oaais is that the weird form factor necessitates a lil bitty battery, at least compared to what's in the PW

The Paperwhite has a 1400ish mAh battery vs the 1260 in my Oasis. It's definitely smaller but it still doesn't explain why it drains so much faster. A super generous goon gave me a Kindle Voyage which lasted like 3 weeks even with its older battery, I would still be using but it met with an unfortunate accident while building a deck :(

It feels like a software problem except that they all use the same OS so I have no idea what is going on.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Fly Ricky posted:

I love the Oasis but my battery is awful. Bought it brand-new, and going from a Kindle Keyboard (!) to Oasis I was shocked. Airplane mode is a must unless I want to charge it every couple of days. In Airplane mode it lasts quite a bit longer.

I dunno what's going on with everyone else then, I read every day (maybe 30-45 minutes but it varies), and I charge my Oasis maybe every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't use aeroplane mode ever.

I actually used it more than that pre-pandemic because I'd read on my lunch break at work as well, something I don't do working from home, and I was still getting a couple of weeks out of it. Still with WiFi on. You guys saying you only get a couple of days out of it are blowing my mind, I would've returned it if that was the case.

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 4, 2021

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just assumed it was the 25 LEDs on the Oasis vs the 5 on the Paperwhite that was the main reason for the battery depleting faster?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Do you use the lights? I have both of mine just set to 12 and leave em like that. I'd imagine if you don't use the lights or don't use em that often, it'd give you way more battery life.

I just bought a solar charger for $20 and decided that was good enough. I've got power, even if the power goes out. :science:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only read for about an hour before bed but my Paperwhite (with flush screen) lasts a month with Wi-Fi on.

My biggest complain is that it only warns you that the battery is low when it’s no-poo poo about to die. I’d prefer to get a warning earlier so I can put it on the charger in the morning instead of scrambling at 11pm.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 4, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fallom posted:

I only read for about an hour before bed but my Paperwhite (with flush screen) lasts a month with Wi-Fi on.

My biggest complain is that it only warns you that the battery is low when it’s no-poo poo about to die. I’d prefer to get a warning earlier so I can put it on the charger in the morning instead of scrambling at 11pm.

Did they take away the battery percentage indicator with that revision or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

astral posted:

Did they take away the battery percentage indicator with that revision or something?

I don’t go out of my way to look at it. When I’m reading it’s just the text of the book until I’m done and pick another.

I know I could make a habit of checking the battery every night or something. I’d just rather not do that and instead have a warning at 10% instead of 1%.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Fallom posted:

I don’t go out of my way to look at it. When I’m reading it’s just the text of the book until I’m done and pick another.

I’m aware that I could make a habit of checking the battery every night or something. I’d just rather have a warning at 10% instead of 1%.

yup. Also going from a Voyage where I could safely dismiss the warning and read for like, hours makes it all the more jarring.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

chippy posted:

Battery life on my Oasis seems pretty good, better than my Paperwhite ever was. It can seem bad on a new Kindle when you first get it because it's indexing all your books which is a drain. Might seem better once it's finished doing that.

I'll post an update after I've used it for a few weeks.

I also realized that I've been reading it this whole time with wifi on. Turning that off has at least doubled the battery life on every kindle I've ever had.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Do you use the lights? I have both of mine just set to 12 and leave em like that. I'd imagine if you don't use the lights or don't use em that often, it'd give you way more battery life.

I do. Brightness is set to 19, warmth to 15. Auto-adjust is also turned on, and my WiFi is always on. I feel pretty lucky reading all these other people who are getting a couple of days.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So far, the Onyx Poke3:

• has really nice build quality and a high quality screen
  • the stock ereader was total garbage on the first firmware, but after I updated it and got all the settings in the right configuration to actually have using an ePub's own stylesheet as an option it seems to work okay
  • Files transfer speedily, although Calibre complained if I did too many and I had to start over again. This may not be an issue on the newer firmware; haven't tried yet
  • still trying to figure out the best way to be allowed to navigate by authors
  • Onyx seem pretty good about letting you disable or lock-down all their stock poo poo if you don't want it

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I scored a display model Paperwhite 3 for $45 today :toot:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Oasis Battery Chat: it's definitely dogshit. I have a Forma as well and that thing lasts way longer on a single charge with wifi on than the Oasis does. I don't recall ever being surprised by the Voyager or the PW2 I had before that in terms of battery life, but the Oasis 2019 is a "charge every 3rd day" device for sure. I don't want to kill the wifi because I don't to janitor that being on/off and I read on the Kindle App on my iPad every day and the Oasis generally every night before bed. Kinda sucks, they can just fill that negative space to the depth of the handle bulge with battery and it'd probably be fine.

It's a great reader otherwise but I miss the unlighted Kindles that would run for a month on a chage wifi or not or even the smaller lighted ones that all seemed to have much better battery usage.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I switched from my Kindle Touch (bought on release, so ~2011) to Oasis last year and even then I'd say the battery life was on par, at best.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Don’t forget that the previous version of the Oasis had a bonus battery in its cover.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Kerbtree posted:

Don’t forget that the previous version of the Oasis had a bonus battery in its cover.

Good point; I don't remember the Gen 1 Oasis being QUITE this quick to drain out, but I do recall thinking, even with that weird cover, that it died quicker than all my previous Kindles.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you find your oasis battery really sucks lately, try upgrading the firmware manually (grab the file from this page then copy it to the kindle’s storage over USB). Late last year my oasis would run itself down in a couple of days, and also refused to update over WiFi even though the firmware was six months out of date. Updating it fixed the battery drain issue

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

According to Reddit, the latest version of the Kindle firmware is bring one of my most-wanted-but-still-pointless features: The ability to make your screensaver the cover of the book you're currently reading.

The feature is slowly being rolled out in different regions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting. I always assumed they didn’t do that because it would incentivize people to pay to remove the offers and they don’t really want to do that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

smackfu posted:

Interesting. I always assumed they didn’t do that because it would incentivize people to pay to remove the offers and they don’t really want to do that.

Wow, yeah.. the firmware had the feature added months and months (years?) ago but not accessible so I assumed it was a dead end. I will be so loving stoked if it's true, but I remain skeptical at this point.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Guess it’s time to go into the metadata and put in better looking covers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
people getting the 5.13.5 update in the US arent seeing the feature added. I will lol forever if they enabled it on accident in some versions of the patch

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can you hack a paper white yet to do whatever you want with it? I did it for my OG kindle back in like 2010 and had custom backgrounds.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snuffman posted:

According to Reddit, the latest version of the Kindle firmware is bring one of my most-wanted-but-still-pointless features: The ability to make your screensaver the cover of the book you're currently reading.

The feature is slowly being rolled out in different regions.

:whoptc: I kind of assumed that every e-reader let you do that

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Rolo posted:

Can you hack a paper white yet to do whatever you want with it? I did it for my OG kindle back in like 2010 and had custom backgrounds.

You totally could back in the day but after a certain firmware update, the custom screensavers stopped working and I couldn't be bothered.

I did have a nice set of Gustov Dore woodcut illustrations as screensavers.

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc: I kind of assumed that every e-reader let you do that

I'm pretty sure it is totally common on other e-readers, the Kobo for sure has always had it. The kindle never has shown the book cover as the screensaver until now. I assume it was because of the ad-supported version, which I believe is only a kindle "thing" and also why Amazon was so against jailbreaking for custom screensavers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I know I'm not the first to request that particular feature to Amazon's Kindle Feature Request email support line. I even went so far as to suggest that the book cover feature could be a value add for people who did pay for the no-ads because outside of removing the ads, what else did you get? Not a whole lot as it turns out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

If you find your oasis battery really sucks lately, try upgrading the firmware manually (grab the file from this page then copy it to the kindle’s storage over USB). Late last year my oasis would run itself down in a couple of days, and also refused to update over WiFi even though the firmware was six months out of date. Updating it fixed the battery drain issue

Going to give this a try, thanks!

Also had a weird thing where my Oasis lost all the book covers for my Calibre books. Apparently you just reconnect it to Calibre and it fixes it automatically. Y'all might know this but if not, it's a quick fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I know I'm not the first to request that particular feature to Amazon's Kindle Feature Request email support line. I even went so far as to suggest that the book cover feature could be a value add for people who did pay for the no-ads because outside of removing the ads, what else did you get? Not a whole lot as it turns out.

The only other benefit is that you don’t have to unlock the screen. Handy if you have a flip case.