Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
People on Reddit are reporting the Kindle book cover feature has arrived in most of Europe and the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just got that update + feature on my PW3 :sun:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I just paid the money to remove offers now that this is finally a feature.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“Update your kindle” has been greyed out since I bought it. What’s the deal?

Edit: it’s updating on its own now, like five seconds after I posted :tinfoil:

Edit2: ok I’m updated, where is this setting for people who have it?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 16, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

“Update your kindle” has been greyed out since I bought it. What’s the deal?

Edit: it’s updating on its own now, like five seconds after I posted :tinfoil:

Edit2: ok I’m updated, where is this setting for people who have it?

If you're lucky, it'll be under device options

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

If you're lucky, it'll be under device options

If you don't see it and you're on the latest firmware, perform a reboot from the system menu.

Worked for me, I'm in Canada.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Seems to be updating pretty much randomly over the last couple days. I'm still without it no matter how many restarts :rip:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Hey I'm in the market for an e-reader, i've mostly had kindles but now that I'm in Canada i'm more looking at the Kobo line, either the Clara HD or the Libra. My upper budget is 200 before VAT/tax, and I'm probably putting koreader on it so I guess even a kindle would be fine lol?

My question is less "what do i get" and more "should I wait a bit to see what they got this year? is there a new e-reader expected soon?"

Edit:
vvvv oh hell yeah, good looking out

riderchop fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 16, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Kobo tends to reveal new products around Mother's Day, so you might actually do well to wait.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
drat, the official cover for the Boox Poke3 literally works by gluing the reader into the case.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snuffman posted:

If you don't see it and you're on the latest firmware, perform a reboot from the system menu.

Worked for me, I'm in Canada.

Does it work on the PW3 or just the newest of the new?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat. Chatted with support in the app on my phone and they removed the ads from the oasis and my kindle fire tablet.

Gotta plug the oasis into the pc later to transfer some books, and get those delicious, sweet, sweet covers.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

My Oasis downloaded the latest firmware, but still no sign of the cover option.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On my Voyage, I had to reboot to get it to show up. The update option was grayed out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I rebooted my oasis, and then got the ads removed, and it popped up under settings a few moments later when I got the chance to fiddle with it. I've only done OTA updates apparently.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they refuse to give me it but of course they instantly updated my firetv to the new ungodly awful UI :mad:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Junkenstein posted:

My Oasis downloaded the latest firmware, but still no sign of the cover option.

Ditto. Curious as to why it wouldn't show up for some of us.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Restarted my Oasis and it gave me the option on the home screen when I booted up.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the year is 2033. i stare hatefully at my kindle omega, the lock screen stubbornly set to a closeup of a typewriter's keys. why cruel god may i not see the cover of my book

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Aardvark! posted:

the year is 2033. i stare hatefully at my kindle omega, the lock screen stubbornly set to a closeup of a typewriter's keys. why cruel god may i not see the cover of my book

I had to scrounge the debris field from the Old Earth wreckage to find a micro USB cable.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If I need to replace my 2014 kindle (pre paperwhite) but still want physical buttons is kindle still the best bang for the buck?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Spikes32 posted:

If I need to replace my 2014 kindle (pre paperwhite) but still want physical buttons is kindle still the best bang for the buck?

I know I might sound weird saying this, but if you don't need the latest kindle or don't care about things like Goodreads integration buying a third gen Kindle off eBay is not a bad use of money.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spikes32 posted:

The only physical buttons I have seen on a kindle are on my oasis, which is really expensive

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I don't necessarily need another kindle, do any other readers have buttons that are a good price to build/battery life ratio?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Spikes32 posted:

I don't necessarily need another kindle, do any other readers have buttons that are a good price to build/battery life ratio?

PocketBook has several and they all have buttons. https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/catalog

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Kobo Libra is priced fairly well in my opinion. I do have a Forma 32GB but I got that only when it was on sale.

Edit: I should say the screens aren't perfect like Kindle regarding the Libra and Forma, but I don't have issues with it.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 24, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Oh, what's a good PocketBook?

Looking at these, I'm not sure I'm into the buttons on the bottom, but I'd have to hold one to really be sure.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The Touch Lux 5 is comparable to the Kindle PW, except it has some extras Kindle never will, like a microsd slot.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
The battery cover finally went in my original generation Kindle Oasis. It doesn't seem like Amazon sells replacements anymore, is there any indication that the Oasis is being refreshed in anyway this year? Wondering if I should just pull the trigger on a current generation one or if I should tough it out for a few months if a new versions in the pipeline.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Today was apparently the "100% worldwide" rollout of the Kindle lockscreen cover feature according to their customer service. I restarted today and finally got it!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Even though I've had the newest firmware since day 1 of its release on my Paperwhite (latest gen), it was only now that I got the new lockscreen.

Now if Amazon could please bring back the progress bar in the bottom of the screen. I still really miss that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Remarkable update moved the page navigation stuff to the toolbar so it doesn't take 5 taps to reach ToC anymore. About time. Their updates are always stable but they sure take their time

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My paperwhite (older version, whichever one has the bezel screen) is still on firmware version 5.12 no matter how many restarts I do and the option to update is grayed out :smith: .

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Legit the only thing other than a battery upgrade I was wanting for the Oasis. I’ll probably die before color is introduced to the lineup.

Finally my coworkers can see that I’m a well-read gentleman of impeccable class and taste.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mercury Hat posted:

My paperwhite (older version, whichever one has the bezel screen) is still on firmware version 5.12 no matter how many restarts I do and the option to update is grayed out :smith: .

Well disregard that, apparently I bought my kindle a lot longer ago than I thought and Amazon's support page lists 5.12 as the latest firmware update I can get :psyduck: .

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Kobo put out a teaser tweet for their next device. Looks like it uses a stylus. Only a few makers are in this space including Onyx, Remarkable and Sony.

https://twitter.com/kobo/status/1394631372631859200

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mercury Hat posted:

Well disregard that, apparently I bought my kindle a lot longer ago than I thought and Amazon's support page lists 5.12 as the latest firmware update I can get :psyduck: .

Huh... I just did the exact same thing. 7.5 years apparently, how did that happen?

Still holding out for a Paperwhite with waterproofing, variable CT light and USB-C... 1 out of 3 so far I think?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What the hell is Amazon doing with Kindlle Cloud Reader? A few days ago it switched to a white theme for the library, and today it switched back to how it was before but the font in books is different now. :wtf:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

Finally my coworkers can see that I’m a well-read gentleman of impeccable class and taste.

"I got a college education and a criminal record, so I know how to make decisions."

RIP New Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

MobileRead found the Kobo video before it's supposed to be up

https://vimeo.com/551758022

riderchop fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 19, 2021