Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Junkenstein posted:

I've never used Calibre for library maintenance, file transfer etc. like a lot of people on here do. Just simple conversion into mobi and then drag and drop into the USB connected Kindle.

Or send via email to my Amazon account so I can read it on phone etc.

But, basically, a Kindle is not some big walled garden thing; it's very easy to add non Amazon books as long as you're ok with using Calibre as a one-button-click file converter.

It's very much designed around amazon books though. After the last page of any book my kindle oasis always asks me to rate it on amazon out of 5 stars. Even when the thing I'm reading is like some web serial that I downloaded off its webpage myself and converted to mobi in calibre so there's no possible amazon page to rate. (The WebToEpub browser extension is nice for this!)

Aardvark! posted:

Kindles have series grouping now. Not sure if Calibre or something will let you set it up though. Or even if that's what you're talking about!

I haven't found any way to set this up in Calibre. I can mark books as a series in its own software but that info isn't preserved when transferring it to the kindle.
The kindle's library also has built-in categories for "Books, Audible, Comics, Samples, Periodicals, Docs" but afaict there's no way for Calibre to add things as anything other than "Books".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are looking to buy the new Paperwhite for Black Friday, check out the kids edition, which is $10 more but includes a case and has no ads.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The kids edition even has a better warranty (two years instead of one).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Tempted to grab the oasis when it’s on sale for the same price as the paper white. Do I go leather cover or fabric? ($7 dollar difference).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Tempted to grab the oasis when it’s on sale for the same price as the paper white. Do I go leather cover or fabric? ($7 dollar difference).

It feels like the Oasis is designed to be held without a cover to me, so I just use a sleeve for mine.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Junkenstein posted:

It feels like the Oasis is designed to be held without a cover to me, so I just use a sleeve for mine.

This is the answer. I got a decal skin for mine to make it a little more grippy but there are also tpu cases like a phone would have that I've thought about getting.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I go sleeve-only with my Oasis too, it's too pleasant to hold to me to want to screw with the form factor with a case.

A lot of people stick a pop-socket on the back to give them something more substantial to hold onto but I haven't had any trouble using it as-is.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks gang. Ordered an oasis for $194 (no ads!) and did the monthly payment plan because why not? I did splurge for the case, but either way, trading in my old kindle towards it drops the price down to $150 which is great.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have the official oasis case (the redesigned, more conventional one, not the magnetically-attached sleeve they stopped selling after a couple of months) and it honestly isn’t any better than the third party cases. The fabric layer is starting to fray around the edges

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My wife is imploring me to give her more ideas for Christmas. I had a Kindle that I was enjoying but it got damaged. I'd like a replacement but as I've managed to all but eliminate Amazon from my life, I'd like a non-Kindle replacement. Definitely e-ink and lit and I'd like to keep it under $200.

How big a pain in the rear end will it be to migrate my Kindle books over to a new reader? I've seen there are multiple apps to do it which imply that it's no big deal but some posts here seem to say otherwise. Is one of the Kobos the consensus non-Kindle pick? The one that is looking like the favorite right now is the Libra 2. I saw that a new Nook was coming out tomorrow but I can't find any pre-release reviews so that's not helpful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm gonna say Kobo, yeah, and the Libra 2 is probably the best casual pick right now.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How do folks here feel about the Kobo Sage? While it seems like overkill for just reading books, it occurs to me that I do need to replace an ancient dying tablet that I use for PDFs (including tabletop RPG PDFs, so I'm particularly curious about Rand Brittain's take on the subject), which might make it worth it to me over something like the Libra 2, which is just too small for that use.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been digging the hell out of my new Paperwhite and I think the marketing really undersold how much FASTER this thing is. Page flips are almost instant now and it doesn't get bogged down when you're flipping a few pages forward or back.

The official leather cover is a total ripoff though. Garbage quality that might as well be plastic. I feel bad for the cow that gave its life for that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kestral posted:

How do folks here feel about the Kobo Sage? While it seems like overkill for just reading books, it occurs to me that I do need to replace an ancient dying tablet that I use for PDFs (including tabletop RPG PDFs, so I'm particularly curious about Rand Brittain's take on the subject), which might make it worth it to me over something like the Libra 2, which is just too small for that use.

Had it since launch. Mostly fine, it's a semi-improvement over the Forma I've been using. I say semi beause there are a couple things I hope get looked into, one being sometimes the page turn buttons failing to turn pages, it's definitely not a physical issue as I've seen people post about the same issue but at least functionality returns after either turning pages with the touch screen or putting it to sleep and battery life needs tweaking. I'm hoping a firmware release in the near future will help things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

The Sage is neither big enough, nor fast enough, to comfortably use for most RPG PDFs. Neither is the Elipsa, or any other device I know of.

Honestly, part of the problem is that most RPG PDFs are just not designed with e-ink screens in mind (and there's really no reason why they should be). White Wolf books, for instance, all use Goudy as their body text font, and it looks terrible on e-ink at any resolution because it's spindly and the screen can't hint it properly. Blockier fonts look fine but they're much less common, and the two-column set-up that most RPGs use is ill-served by portrait mode and requires flipping back and forth slowing in landscape mode.

The technology is just not there, and e-readers should stick to RPGs in ePub format for the time being (sadly, my ePubs are still the only decent ones in the industry that I'm aware of).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’ve used electronic paper devices in every size category, and in my opinion you have to go up to a 13.3” screen to have a good experience for full size RPG books.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Rats, sounds like I need to squeeze some more life out of the tablet then, at least for RPG purposes. Thanks for the heads-up!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If anyone with the Kobo Sage was waiting for the PowerCover. It appears it can be ordered now: https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/accessories/products/kobo-sage-powercover-black

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, page turns on the new Paperwhite are noticeably faster than on my Voyage.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
In continuation of the new Paperwhite, I was gifted one recently and I have a few questions.

I do have an amazon prime account and understand that I can get some books there but from what I read online, it seems that a better option would be to not connect my amazon account to my Kindle and use it by transferring PDF / epub by using Calibre to convert it to MOBI format.

My assumption is that reading books directly from an amazon connected account in a Kindle is much better, is that the case? I'm assuming that the format, the usability, and other small features do not carry over if someone uses Calibre to transfer books to their Kindle.

From what I read online, one of the cons is that the books are not categorized properly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo Sage PowerCover came in today. Was relieved to know the leatherish material is the same as the original Sleep Cover which I really liked the feel of. Couldn't find a mAh count for it so I'm not sure how much battery life it adds but fairly straightforward. Just slide the Sage into it while lining up the pins. When charging from the wall, it charges the Sage first then the PowerCover. While unplugged the PowerCover charges the Sage as you'd expect.

Edit: Oh neat, it does update the battery status when it's connected at least:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got-drat you have some good taste in manga.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I should get on to reading Chainsaw Man finally...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

chainsawman is excellent!

how's manga reading on the paper white? i have the 2018 (i think) version and it never occurred to me to read any form of comics

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Manga on an ereader is cool and good.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How do I get all of these ComiXology comics out of my Kindle library? It’s cool they’re compatible but I’ve got over 1,000 and it makes finding actual books a chore.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Archive them all?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there some way to do it without checking them one by one? There are literally over a thousand comics here.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/comixology/account

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Bless you.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Artelier posted:

chainsawman is excellent!

how's manga reading on the paper white? i have the 2018 (i think) version and it never occurred to me to read any form of comics

Maybe it's just me and my bad eyes, but the new 6.8 inch Paperwhite is still too small to read manga comfortably. I picked up an $80 10" tablet on Black Friday mostly just for manga reading.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The kindle would be good for manga if double page spreads didn’t exist. But because they do I’m forced to buy a big iPad, oh woe

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

hatty posted:

The kindle would be good for manga if double page spreads didn’t exist. But because they do I’m forced to buy a big iPad, oh woe

And that’s why I like the Kobo Forma and Sage (and to a lesser extent, the Libra 1/2), they have accelerometers. Not many ereaders have this feature. Kindles, next to having smaller screens, depend on correctly formatted and processed manga for page spreads. Fine in practice but RIP if you read old books that were never reprocessed to account for them.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Busy Bee posted:

In continuation of the new Paperwhite, I was gifted one recently and I have a few questions.

I do have an amazon prime account and understand that I can get some books there but from what I read online, it seems that a better option would be to not connect my amazon account to my Kindle and use it by transferring PDF / epub by using Calibre to convert it to MOBI format.

My assumption is that reading books directly from an amazon connected account in a Kindle is much better, is that the case? I'm assuming that the format, the usability, and other small features do not carry over if someone uses Calibre to transfer books to their Kindle.

From what I read online, one of the cons is that the books are not categorized properly.

Also check with your local library for ebooks, I use amazon/kindle and borrowing ebooks from the library is easy and convenient.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Update: I did this, and they're still showing! Turning it off/on does nothing from what I can tell. Anyone run into this? I guess I'll have a chat with Amazon bot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comixology is merging with Kindle in the near future, so I suspect that feature has been disabled and will disappear entirely.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
For anyone in the market for a new Kindle, Amazon is still readily offering 15% off if you contact customer support saying you want to upgrade.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I got the Kobo Libra 2 for Christmas and am enjoying it. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to. Image quality is great, the back light is good and the page turn buttons are welcome. Page turns are snappy. I am disappointed that a reliable way to transfer Amazon e-books over to the Libra appears to be like chasing a mythical beast. None of the options I've tried worked. It's really obnoxious. All I want are the drat books I paid money for.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I use the steps here for getting my kindle books into epub: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/blob/master/FAQs.md

note that it does involve installing both Calibre and an outdated version of Kindle PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Make sure the version of both kindle AND calibre support it.

Yea I dedrm every book I buy cause like you said, I bought it. If I want to read it 20 years from now on an Oculus meta 2000 contact lens Holo display, I plan to not have to purchase the thing again.