Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Hed posted:

Is there a good way to send articles to my Kindle Oasis?

I have a few publications that do great long form articles, but I’m just never going to read them fully on my computer or an iPad. I realize I may be trying to solve an environment problem with a tech solution here.

Is PDFing and emailing to my kindle address the best I can do? Is there a way to automate RSS -> selection -> ebook workflow or desktop browser extension?

With a Mac, I'm sure there's something that could be done with Automator for this. Or with Windows, maybe set up some sort of watched folder with a task scheduler set to check it every X minutes and email files from it to your Kindle address?

I mean if you want all the files from those publications sent, you could use Calibre and try some of the solutions here: https://www.epubor.com/how-to-send-rss-to-kindle.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Hed posted:

Is there a good way to send articles to my Kindle Oasis?

I have a few publications that do great long form articles, but I’m just never going to read them fully on my computer or an iPad. I realize I may be trying to solve an environment problem with a tech solution here.

Is PDFing and emailing to my kindle address the best I can do? Is there a way to automate RSS -> selection -> ebook workflow or desktop browser extension?

Instapaper is the best service for this. Here’s my workflow: I use ITTT to send RSS feed articles I pick from Feedly to Instapaper, then instapaper can send them to my kindle. I pay for the Instapaper premium so I can have more than ten articles sent at once. It also has a browser extension and a bookmarklet.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! I've got Calibre already set up, and ever since Google Reader died (:rip:) I've been dancing around getting feedly set up. I'll give those a try. :)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm interested in the new PocketBook Color 7.8 inch (https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/15/22284923/pocketbook-inkpad-color-kaleido-e-reader-available-now-price) both because I want to move away from Amazon products and because it has USB-C charging but I have a lot of kindle books already.

Does anyone know of a good way of transferring bulk transferring them?

Edit: Or to give the full story my old Kindle died and I want a non-Amazon, USB-C charging device with a good quality display and user interface. Are there many options these days?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 16, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm interested in the new PocketBook Color 7.8 inch (https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/15/22284923/pocketbook-inkpad-color-kaleido-e-reader-available-now-price) both because I want to move away from Amazon products and because it has USB-C charging but I have a lot of kindle books already.

Does anyone know of a good way of transferring bulk transferring them?

Edit: Or to give the full story my old Kindle died and I want a non-Amazon, USB-C charging device with a good quality display and user interface. Are there many options these days?

You’ll have to strip the DRM if you haven’t already to use them on other devices. Calibre and the DeDRM plugin can do this though you have to jump through some hoops to get the correct version that is just old enough to defeat the protection.

As far as non-Kindles with USB C. It’s going to be smaller companies like what you have linked or most of the current gen Android based ereaders such as the Boox Onyx Note Air and its ilk. Not even Nook or Kobo have USB C devices yet.

A side benefit for an Android based ereader is that you can sideload the Kindle app to read your content. I can’t speak for the quality however.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New software update for the Kindle is out, at least for the newest gen oasis. Just got it installed. Looks like it's just an update from December, adds some extra scrolling to home feeds and some tweaks to Amazon kids and kids+.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You’ll have to strip the DRM if you haven’t already to use them on other devices. Calibre and the DeDRM plugin can do this though you have to jump through some hoops to get the correct version that is just old enough to defeat the protection.

As far as non-Kindles with USB C. It’s going to be smaller companies like what you have linked or most of the current gen Android based ereaders such as the Boox Onyx Note Air and its ilk. Not even Nook or Kobo have USB C devices yet.

A side benefit for an Android based ereader is that you can sideload the Kindle app to read your content. I can’t speak for the quality however.

Yeah, I actually thought ereaders were a dead category but turns out there are a lot of smaller companies still involved. The BOOX Poke 3 looks like a good replacement and does have the kindle app. People seem to complain about the swiping affect which is more suited to devices with a real screen though.

Breaking the DRM looks like a real pain.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New software update for the Kindle is out, at least for the newest gen oasis. Just got it installed. Looks like it's just an update from December, adds some extra scrolling to home feeds and some tweaks to Amazon kids and kids+.

I noticed in the app that they now group series under a single cover with a number badge. Haven’t checked if the Kindle hardware does that yet.

Neat feature but:
1) Doesn’t work if you only have one book in the series. Which makes sense but would be useful sometimes.
2) Standard Kindle data quality issues. About 2/3 of my series are grouped, the others are just not.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If anyone is looking for an Inkpad X (the 10-inch Pocketbook with USB-C that I mentioned a few pages back) I'm selling mine in SA Mart. Hopefully linking that here isn't a total jerk move.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Has anyone had issues with the Kindle personal document service recently?

I've got an automated script that downloads a few things and sends them to my kindle on a weekly basis. The script sends the documents from an email that is on my "Approved Personal Document E-mail List" and has worked fine for several years. Recently instead of automatically getting delivered to the Kindle I get an "approve this document" email where I have to manually click a link before Amazon will deliver it to my device. The verification emails say to change my @kindle.com email if I want to skip verification in the future but it doesn't seem to help...

code:
Prefer to skip the verification step next time?

Edit your Send to Kindle email address (XXXXXXX@kindle.com) by visiting your Preferences in Manage Your Content and Devices. After editing, be sure to notify your approved senders to ensure uninterrupted delivery of your documents and newsletters. 

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea after literal years of having the same info I got that. Just added a .oasis to the email address (before the @) and it's worked since.

I have no idea why they asked for that, I'd literally never gotten spam or anything to that address. 🤷‍♂️

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I'm currently reading books on my phone which is alright, but I'm finding the screen is just a bit too narrow and it's messing up some of the formatting in certain books. So I'm looking at getting a 6" Kobo Clara, or is there a better device I should be looking at? Is 6" good for a screen size or should I upgrade to something larger? I'm mostly just looking for something lightweight that can sync with my Calibre libraries via Wifi.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

x1o posted:

I'm currently reading books on my phone which is alright, but I'm finding the screen is just a bit too narrow and it's messing up some of the formatting in certain books. So I'm looking at getting a 6" Kobo Clara, or is there a better device I should be looking at? Is 6" good for a screen size or should I upgrade to something larger? I'm mostly just looking for something lightweight that can sync with my Calibre libraries via Wifi.

6" is perfectly fine unless you're planning on using it for textbooks/stuff with a lot of pictures or diagrams. 6" is great because it still fits in most pants pockets. The reading experience is similar to a paperback at that size.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

7-8" is even better, in my opinion. Just enough more room for text and therefore greater focus between page turns. A happy medium between that smaller paperback size and a full tablet. Still lightweight.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I thought bigger would be better and had both the Forma and Oasis for a while but found the 6" more comfortable for one-hand reading in bed, so got rid of them and happily kept my Clara and Poke 3.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I like my 7" Kobo for the slightly bigger screen and waterproofness, but I find my 6" Kindle more comfortable to both hold (while reading) and carry (in a hand or smaller bag).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I thought bigger would be better and had both the Forma and Oasis for a while but found the 6" more comfortable for one-hand reading in bed, so got rid of them and happily kept my Clara and Poke 3.

I'm on the Oasis now but I miss my Voyage. I switch hands enough that losing focus to flip it over really sucks. Not sure how I'd feel about a symmetrical 7" screen though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just to let people know I bought the Poke 3 as a present and it’s got great reviews so far. As it’s an android device we were able to download the kindle app and a couple of local Danish reading apps and it all works smoothly.

It’s powerful enough to do that, but not full featured enough to get distracted by the bells and whistles.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I like how tiny my Poke 3 is but at times I get frustrated by its battery life compared to my Clara, and Koreader's inability to control the backlight in Android. Of the two it is the most comfortable to hold, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I got an oasis for Christmas and it's been a godsend. I liked the basic kindle but I'm one of those lucky souls who loves a large screen and flipping it over as I swap hands is, well, handy. But the biggest and best thing about it is that it has buttons for turning pages instead of a swipe, and it's so nice to read one-handed now.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, my real hope is that the Oasis (or a successor in a similar form-factor, with the bump) gets a color e-ink screen this summer/fall. I like my 2016 Voyage, but the form factor could be a tiny bit better for the buttons. I've just got a cheap vinyl magnetic flappy cover on it right now, and it's good enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, my real hope is that the Oasis (or a successor in a similar form-factor, with the bump) gets a color e-ink screen this summer/fall. I like my 2016 Voyage, but the form factor could be a tiny bit better for the buttons. I've just got a cheap vinyl magnetic flappy cover on it right now, and it's good enough.

I have this cover for my oasis: Ayotu skin touch and it works like a dream. Fits snugly, turns it on, etc. Very soft too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven't posted here in forever because my Paperwhite has been chugging along but the battery is starting to hold less of a charge and I'm looking into either replacing it or upgrading altogether.

Is there a thread favorite third party e-reader or should I stick with Amazon?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
My Deep Guide guy got a Nova 3 Color (Kaleido 2), and it looks like K2 is fine with front lights, but maybe won't be on par with standard e-ink in ambient light until K3.

It's too bad they've omitted the warm front lighting as well, but probably easier to calibrate against only one color light.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

x1o posted:

So chiming in to say I got a Kobo ClaraHD and after installing KOReader and getting the calibre sync working this device is amazing and is pretty much exactly what I needed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A new Nook designed by Lenovo on the way:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/22338379/barnes-noble-lenovo-nook-tablet-e-reader-restock-coming-soon-spring

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

They’re really running on fumes with the Nook brand

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word on a more affordable Kindle with a warm light and USB C?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I can’t find anything other than rumors. It would be nice to have one less thing that uses micro USB.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Rolo posted:

I can’t find anything other than rumors. It would be nice to have one less thing that uses micro USB.

What's wrong with micro-USB???

*Hides from thread's wrath*

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Silly Burrito posted:

What's wrong with micro-USB???

*Hides from thread's wrath*

It would just be nice to have everything be USB-C so I can put yet another cable into the black hole that is my "misc. cables" bag.

(Actually I'll still need micro for my mouse but the Kindle and mouse are it for me now)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Humerus posted:

It would just be nice to have everything be USB-C so I can put yet another cable into the black hole that is my "misc. cables" bag.

(Actually I'll still need micro for my mouse but the Kindle and mouse are it for me now)

I know, I was just kidding. This thread has gone bonkers with arguments over it. Honestly I wish they would all be USB-C as well but Amazon is as stubborn as a mule.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I have only one USB C device so far and it came with a C to C cable and no power brick

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The new Nook tablet designed by Lenovo officially announced:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/19/22340588/barnes-and-noble-new-nook-10-hd-tablet-lenovo-price-release-date-ebooks

Most likely has the USB C you want, just not with an e-ink screen. :shepface:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So wait if all the other Nooks are out of stock can you just... not buy an eink nook anymore??

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

im on the net me boys posted:

So wait if all the other Nooks are out of stock can you just... not buy an eink nook anymore??

Looks like refurbs and the Glowlight 3 are still available on their online store.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My mom gave me a Kindle Oasis for my birthday because my first gen paperwhite was not holding a charge.

After 6 years (or however long it has been) the OG paperwhite was not even making it thorough a full day of reading with the light on which I guess is a testament to the amount I read lol.

Anyways I love the oasis but the battery life for a new kindle is pretty underwhelming. Still I love the screen, backlight, and refresh rate.

I'm looking for a good case for the oasis. I usually get the official black flip case. Is that still the one to get?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyways I love the oasis but the battery life for a new kindle is pretty underwhelming.

Battery life on my Oasis seems pretty good, better than my Paperwhite ever was. It can seem bad on a new Kindle when you first get it because it's indexing all your books which is a drain. Might seem better once it's finished doing that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I love the Oasis but my battery is awful. Bought it brand-new, and going from a Kindle Keyboard (!) to Oasis I was shocked. Airplane mode is a must unless I want to charge it every couple of days. In Airplane mode it lasts quite a bit longer.

Was thinking mine is defective, but I see a lot of reviews noting the same thing so I think maybe my expectations were too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well shoot, battery life is super important to me. Maybe I’ll just stick with my PW and YouTube a battery replacement video when the time comes.