Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apparently these are 99$ at target with a free 30$ gift card for target included.

We just did this and are probably going to grab another because it's $10 cheaper than the advertised Black Friday prices anywhere so it seemed like a real steal. When does this deal expire? I'd better go do that tonight. :ohdear:

e: What the poo poo, Fatwalleters found a way to get Nook Touches for $50: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1141820/
Looks like it got moved to "expired" because it stopped working but is actually stock-dependent.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Barnes & Noble has been sending out emails, looks like the Friday deal for the Nook simple touch is going to be $79.

Best Buy has been talking up the Black Friday "deal" of $80 too, but Target buttfucked the other retailers on this one at $70. I guess if you don't buy anything at Target it's not worth it but we get cat litter there so a gift card is fine. If nothing else, they sell food, underwear, Legos and Starbucks (Target gift cards work at in-Target Starbucks); you probably need one of those four.

Went and got me one last night, and thinking about how $70 is a nice price point for a family member gift. That Target sale expires at the end of today, for anyone thinking about it. Might be something better coming for Black Fridays but who knows.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I hate the arrows and stuff in .mobi files.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a link for this upcoming case? My google-fu is sucking, all I'm getting is this really lovely looking one by Zing on Amazon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This post is being sent from the Awful app on my Nook Touch. :haw:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Go read about cracking it and see if there's "What to do when it's bricked" advice. Since it's running Eclair, there should be some version of QDLTool that can talk to it. If the light's not coming on though, bad sign.

spaceship posted:

I read about half of Steve Jobs in one sitting. It was pretty obvious that there was a slight tilt to the pages.

Haha

Oh, you meant an actual physical tilt. :v:
Return it, the screen's mis-aligned; you can't fix it yourself, and it's covered by warranty and probably a return policy if you got it in a store. gently caress the haters, that would drive me nuts in a couple of minutes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I decided to take it to barnes and noble and they said it was completely busted. They originally thought it was a battery issue, but my battery worked in their display model. They said it was a month out of warranty, so they couldn't replace it. I bought it around this time last year when there was that thread in SA mart that had them for $99 when they first came out but were refurbished.

The guy told me the best I could do was try to find someone who knew circuit boards and see if they could fix the problem.

Now I'm sad and I can't afford a new one right now :(

You can sometimes find some traction going directly to the company about the problem, rather than just a B&N store location. Do it by phone; be friendly, honest, and clear about how you loved your Nook, buy a lot of B&N, and tell your friends on- and off-line about how much you like the Nook. A month out of warranty is recent enough for a goodwill gesture, especially if they still have any refurb OG Nooks, which have to be getting hard to move by now.

Try it, all you can lose now is time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:hfive:

That's awesome!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Cut out a piece of cardboard to the length and width and see if that fits in your pocket. It varies so much by person-shape and pants-style. Mine fits with room to spare with a case. However, I am not, for example, a small skinny woman in tight jeans. My wife carries hers in her purse, no case, with a microfiber cloth and a rubber band around it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sporadic posted:

If you only care about reading (and not things like comics or textbooks but novels and the sort), you should really get an eink device. It has to be seen to believe, much easier on the eyes. There is also the plus of crazy battery life and the ability to use it outside on a sunny day with no glare.

Since I got my Nook Touch, I want an e-ink monitor so loving bad now; I think about it every day. I work in front of a pair of monitors, and staring at light all day gets pretty loving old fast now that I know there's another option. I'm dying to be able to set up one monitor for reading (e-ink) and one monitor for doing (the LCD). Someday.

Wonder if iDisplay will work on my Nook? :3:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

It also has this feature where it will download articles from websites you specify, and convert them into the ebook format of your choosing for your reading pleasure.

Holy poo poo, what? I haven't bothered much with Calibre yet because I've just been using Moon+ as a reader (and it gives no fucks), but that's some sweet thinking there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Or the $30 Target one I kept telling people about. I wanted mine from a brick-and-mortar location either way in case the root attempt went south. What happened to you sucks, sorry man. :shobon:

That scoreboard thing is honestly pretty funny.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Take my money. Take it now. If I could synch between my Nook and my phone it'd be great. I prefer to read on the Nook but sometimes it's dark out, and gently caress booklights. Also, I don't always have the Nook with me. Trouble is, I'm 2/3 of the way through a great book on the Nook at the moment, and really feeling the frustration from a lack of synch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Invisble Manuel posted:

Darn. I hoped you have found some solution that I can't figure out. I suppose a rooted Nook, running Aldiko, would work (with aldikosync) but from what I understand, running Aldiko on a rooted Nook doesn't give you the nicer screen refresh, and the flicker was one thing I just couldn't get past with eInk. I think the newer version, with a refresh only every 6 pages, would be okay, but then I can't sync...

You can root the newer one, the Simple Touch? Now that I've done it once, I could do it again in 5 minutes and willing to help if you give it a shot. e: For the love of god make sure you do a backup of your stock Nook before you do any fuckery. Ask if you don't know how.

I use Moon+ for my reading needs, I don't like the Nook fonts as much as I like... any font I feel like. Also I read the forums with it when I'm at home. :3:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Space Fish, the downsides are just a) you can never go back to stock (until the XDA boffins figure it out, I suppose) and b) if you can't go back to stock, you can't get a clean slate to flash a new ROM from, either. Since you're already rooted with no backup, there's no reason to worry about it!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's actually a good question, because at least in my cursory looking around, most of the backup instructions I've seen seem to imply it's rooted before you backup, which seems to be a contradiction... :geno:

(I haven't yet rooted mine, but intend to in the next few days)

For Android devices in general, there's two kinds of root; temp root is usually easier to get but doesn't survive a power cycle, and perma-root is just that.

Here's some money where my mouth was:

------------

Let's root your Nook Touch!
Step by Step Wall of Text Version

------------

Update your firmware to 1.1.0 if it isn't already (the Nook Touch out of the box is running 1.0.0). To find out what version you have: click the N button, choose "Settings" -> "Device Info" -> "About Your NOOK" -> Software Version. There's instructions and a download of the update on B&N's website (click "Get Version 1.1.0 Today") if you need them.

Also, set your device up on your wifi network (needed for logging into Google services later). This information will not be lost from the Nook during this project.

Finally, make sure you're using a real SD card reader when writing images to the SD card, as apparently doing it while it's mounted via a device like your phone will fail horribly.

-------

These instructions assume a PC is being used, but it should be easy to follow along on a Mac. If you already use Linux then you're way ahead of the game.

To start, you will make a microSD card into a bootable image by using something like Image Writer for Windows to write a copy of noogie.img to the card. Turn off your Nook, insert the card, then boot the Nook. It'll boot rooted (you'll know), and now you'll be able to see the .boot partition when you connect the Nook via USB to your computer.

The very first thing you should do once you can chat with it is make an image of your Nook. Unlike normal Android devices, the stock image from one Nook cannot at this time be flashed to another Nook. I mean, it can, but the second Nook won't work at all. Accordingly, if you don't make a backup when you start tinkering, you'll never be able to roll any of it back (unless you know enough about the OS to not need this advice).

To do this, reverse what you just did to the SD card. Tell Image Writer that your Nook's .boot is the source image, and write a copy to a file on your computer; the name's of the file is not important but I recommend including the word "Nook" (for searching later) and the serial number from the SD card area if you own more than one Nook. The only other way to tell stock Nooks apart is the content on them, and if for some reason you can't boot it that info's worthless, so the serial number is the only identifier for what image file goes with what device. The file will be about 1.82 gigs. Store it more than one place; it'll fit in a spare Dropbox account, and it wouldn't hurt to put it onto Amazon's cloud or something. I can't stress enough that you don't want to lose it.

-----------

Now the fun part. We're going to use the information from here. As of about two weeks ago, this information superceded the rest of the Nook Touch rooting schemes available on XDA, and I used it successfully to root my Nook, and (more importantly) get the Android Market working correctly. The author has hacked together a script that runs when the Nook is booted with the altered SD card; it does all the heavy lifting, including installing some key apps.

Here's the de-XDAed gist of it for goons:

-Download SalsichaNooter04.img, and use Image Writer to write it to the SD card.

-Turn off Nook, insert card into Nook, boot Nook.

-Heavy lifting occurs. Wait it out, it can take a while (5+ minutes).

-After it boots, you should be able to select your Home Launcher (choose ADW).

-Pull the SD card out.

-Reboot the Nook.

-Note that there is now a small half-hidden button on the righthand side of the screen. This is the toggle button for "Button Savior", a set of Android softkeys that provides Menu, Search, Back, and Home (since the Nook doesn't have them). Tap this button to toggle the buttons on, tap the X to hide the buttons again. There's themes/skins for these buttons available in case you don't like how they look. You can also relocate them, although sadly not to about an inch higher.

-Open the app drawer and select "NookColorTools" (I know, you don't have a Nook Color, but the same app works for this and wasn't renamed).

-Uncheck "Enable Non-Market Apps".

-Re-check "Enable Non-Market Apps" (yes, you're cycling it). Exit to the homescreen.

-On the homescreen, hit Menu and choose "Settings"

-Go to "Wireless and Networks" and make sure your wifi is on and connected. Exit to the homescreen.

-Open the app drawer and select "YouTube".

-Hit Menu and choose "My Channel".

-Log in to "My Channel" with your Google credentials (this is putting the stamp of your Google account on the device, like putting in your Google credentials when you first boot a new Android phone). If you have 2-Step Verification turned on for your Google account (and you really should), you should go here and generate a device-specific one-use password. You'll use this password to login to YouTube with your Google account's login name. After getting into your account on YouTube, exit to the homescreen.

-Open the app drawer and select "Gmail".

-Hit Menu and choose "Refresh". After your email rolls in, exit to the homescreen.

-Open the app drawer and select "Market".

-Install one app via the Market. Any app, doesn't matter what it is. Search will not work at this point. Once this app is installed, exit to the homescreen.

-Format the SD card you removed, so it's just a normal card and not a bootable disk image.

-Put the SD card back into the Nook.

-Connect your Nook via USB to your PC. Your Nook's internal storage will show up as NOOK and your SD card will mount as a different volume labeled "Removable Disk" (unless you named the card).

-Download this newer version of vending.apk.

-Put this file on your SD card; doesn't matter where as long as you remember, but the root directory is simplest.

-Disconnect the USB cable.

-Open the app drawer and select "ES File Explorer".

-Hit the Menu button and choose "Settings". Swipe to scroll down to page 2.

-Under "Directory Settings", set "Home Directory" to "/" (forward-slash, ie the root directory of an Android device).

-Under "Root Settings", check the checkbox for "Root Explorer", swipe to scroll down to page 3, and check the checkbox for "Mount File System", which will allow you to write to the root directory. These are necessary so that you can replace Vending.apk in /system/app (a directory that ES File Explorer would not normally be able to write to). Exit "Settings".

-Navigate to /system/app. Look for Vending.apk.

-Long-press this file and choose "Rename".

-Rename Vending.apk to Vending.old (or whatever, as long as you're sure it's an unused file extension). You're renaming it instead of deleting it in case anything goes wrong or you need it later. Waste not, want not.

-Navigate to /sdcard (or wherever you stored your new version of Vending.apk).

-Long-press your new version of Vending.apk, and choose "Cut" or "Copy".

-Navigate back to /system/app.

-Hit Menu and choose "Operations". Select "Paste".

-Verify that you now have Vending.apk and Vending.old in /system/app. Exit ES File Explorer.

-Reboot the Nook.

-Open the app drawer and choose "Market".

-Search for "Awful" by Scott Ferguson.

-Install Awful, open it, and log in.

-Go hog wild.

---------------

Please note that the stock Android web browser doesn't work, and (as far as I know) the only browser currently working on the Nook Touch is Opera. It's included in the apps that were installed from the SD card.

Another note, you can probably use any launcher you want, but ADW is included by default because ADW is the only launcher that currently meets 2 specific needs: a white option for the app drawer background (most are black-only) and the "Lock Desktop" option (from the homescreen, Menu button -> "More" -> "Lock/Unlock Desktop"). I strongly suggest locking the desktop any time you're not actively trying to change it, because pretty often I manage to gently caress it right up due to the slower interface of the Nook.

e: I re-hosted all the relevant files in case the various other people vanish from the internet. At least now it's all or nothing; I hate getting through a tutorial to find a single file missing!

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 8, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I can't imagine why you'd need the booklight, since the screen's lit. Turning the brightness all the way down kills the contrast in a way that a light won't help.

That might be why the booklight sleeve's not on that jacket. The guy writing the ad copy was sort of a dick, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

realbez posted:

My kindle should arrive in a few days. I was looking forward to reading the remaining books from the Saga of Seven Suns that I'm a couple of books into, but there don't seem to be any ebook stores selling anything past book 3 in Australia. I should have checked before I bought it I suppose, but I'm pretty annoyed now that the first 6 books I'll be reading having gotten my ereader I have to borrow from my mother because the ereader can't show them.

I'm also worried I've wasted all this money on it now because I suspect a lot of things I'm going to want to read will be unavailable in Australia.

edit: gently caress, I just bought the first three ebooks from borders and I can't transfer them to a kindle because of DRM. Only way to read them is on my computer. Wrote to them for a refund but I'm not holding my breath. Goodbye $36 for loving nothing.

This purchase isn't having the calming effect I was hoping for :(

How did you buy them from Borders? Is Borders still a company in Oz?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Now that I've rooted my Nook Touch, I'm glad to see that it shouldn't be difficult at all to fix that crummy dictionary to at least contain more useful/better-formatted entries. (Why the dictionary can't actually cross-reference between two entries despite entries being designed to do so is beyond me)

The hard part will probably be getting a better dictionary and figuring out the best way to format it, rather than actually getting it working with the device...

If you're rooted, switch from the stock book reading app to a reader like Moon+, where you can specify any dictionary you have (and online ones too, I think). You have a functional Android device now and B&N is the least of your available resources.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

commish posted:

I can't really explain it, but my Kindle Touch is getting weeks longer battery life than my Nook touch (and yes, wifi is turned off on both). Literally, WEEKS longer. I think my Nook touch is defective somehow.

It's because your Kindle sucks so you're using the Nook all the time. :smugbert:

Really, though, I dunno. How long is each one lasting? No doubt B&N will warranty it, B&N and Amazon make the money off the media, not the hardware.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My Grandma is 90 and has said that she's too old to bother learning about computers since at least 1995. However, then she saw she could read any book she wanted in large print and took to the OG Kindle like a duck to water. There's a difference between "Oh look, another gift from my kids" and "holy poo poo, I can read again!"; if she's asking for one, she'll be motivated to learn what she needs to. If she has any difficulty writing or any hint of a tremor, DO NOT get the Touch. Consider the DX if she likes the hardback size format, needs large print books, or has trouble reading the newspaper.

Happydogska posted:

Meanwhile nobody talks about the Nook Tablets at all. :(

Nobody complaining about the Nook Tablet in the news is fine with me. I can't wait to get one, especially now that someone's gotten permanent root on it.

I really like the fact that as far as I can tell, B&N made exactly the same product with better specs. Hardly anyone does that, ever, and I really wish it was more common. I like added stuff if it's amazing but I feel like "always innovating" has choked "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to death with endless waves of weak sweeping changes and unwanted addons, which is why we don't get Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2 anymore. All I want in life is the stuff I already like, but smarter, harder, faster, stronger.
:spergin:/

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
2cents: We got Nooks because my wife saved up $160 towards the $180 Sony e-ink reader she wanted, only to find out that they had stopped selling it a couple months ago and the only ones left were on eBay for $500+. Sony went from selling 3 e-ink readers to a single new one with a smaller screen and a lot less features. We said "well gently caress Sony then" at that point on general principles.

The big selling point for the Nooks was that I could root them and install the Kindle app so we'd have access to both marketplaces for books (not to mention using the far-superior Android e-reader apps), but I understand that's not a good draw for the non-nerd.

e: A lot of people complain that the stock Nook Touch is missing the Right Font Size, that Small is too small and the next size up is too big, that and setting my own font was honestly the biggest allure of going to Moon+. I'm not sure if the complaining is "only the people who don't like it will say anything" or an actual epidemic. My wife was really irritated about it (haven't rooted hers yet, no time) for about 3 days and since then, not a peep; maybe it stops being an issue after a little use.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 15, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

a lovely touch screen will make me want to stab my eyes out.

You are flat-out not looking for anything based on e-ink, the whole point of the technology is trading response time for absurd battery life.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
A non-technical co-worker is trying to figure out the trials and tribulations of buying and owning a Kindle Fire. He does not currently have a home internet connection and is concerned that the Fire won't be any fun for his early-teens daughter (who he's buying it for) without internet access on Christmas Day; I don't know enough about it so I'm bothering you guys. He's against having a permanent internet connection on cost reasons; other than the Fire, he doesn't have a reason to use it at home (no PC or anything), and $50 a month plus Cox's $250 installation fee is rough, especially in the week before Christmas.

What's pre-installed? Is it a bundle of fun out of the box before taking it online to prospect for treasure (ie: will it be a happy Christmas morning)?

Also, what's the deal with Whispersynch on this one, Amazon mentions it but doesn't go into detail on the product page; does this Kindle have free 3G for book downloads and web browsing like the old ones or is it definitely wifi-only?

I've explained the "no parental controls on purchasing" problem and that he can get free wifi in a lot of places now, like McDonalds and Starbucks, for adding content to the device. What else does he need to know? All he knows about the device is what Amazon.com says on the Buy Me page.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yeah, it's very strongly oriented toward having a Wifi connection.

Any nearby open access points? Starbucks? Neighbors?

Probably not close enough to pick up inside the house.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For one thing, if the Fire had an SD card slot I could just gin up a selection of fun apps on a spare card for my co-worker's kid to use on Christmas (no internet).

e: and there's not a lot of space onboard, looks like only 8gb.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 16, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Karthe posted:

Do you guys keep your e-readers in a case or cover? I'm looking around online for something to protect my Nook Simple Touch and was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I am working on a home-made solution. Leather lined with microfiber. My wife wants a neoprene case for hers, one of the ones that folds over in front at the top. Someone on Etsy hollows out old books (nothing neat, they're using remaindered textbooks IIRC) with a clip inside to hold the Nook.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

SlightButSteady posted:

The main thing you want with a case or cover, is to protect the device from twisting or warping that might occur if you stuff it into your back pack or whatever. But nearly all cases to this anyway, so basically don't waste your money on one of those neoprene sleeves.

If you're taking it outside, get a case/cover.

I honestly haven't seen anything yet for the Nook Touch that could prevent warping. Nobody's making braced wrought iron cases. :v: I just want to defend the screen from poking/scraping.

Also, I learned something cool about neoprene the other day, if you have a neoprene sleeve on your device and you drop it in the cat's water dish, the neoprene will take a couple seconds to wick water around its internal structure before the water makes it to the device; it was my phone and it was bone-dry even though the neoprene was soaked. I was shocked and pleased.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The eReader Megathread: Maybe You Should Try The Phone

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If anyone wants to ask stupid questions about rooting the Nook Tablet, I'm your non-judgemental shoulder to derp on. Took me two drat days to get it done because I couldn't pay attention to relatively simple instructions (and they're honestly pretty lovely instructions, in other words: XDA).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I have serious issues with my Nook Simple Touch's resolution at close proximity. Sometimes I just like to bring the reader nearer to my face to vary my position and you can really see the pixels around the font. Maybe it's better with the Kindle. Anyway at a normal reading distance you really won't notice it.

I was going to give you poo poo about yours being defective, but it looks like some of the serif fonts do fuzz up, I guess from an attempt at aliasing. I use Gill Sans and it's flawless, and I'm nearsighted.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Fall 2013. The Fall 2012/Spring 2013 material's already printed. :shobon:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Scheduled for a December graduation. Welp.

The upshot here is you're almost done. :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Which Kindle?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I think it depends quite a bit on the book, I have some technical ebooks that don't fit very well on the screen, and either require you to view it at a zoom level that is unreadable, or to hop around 4-6 times a page.

This, the quote in the OP is accurate for anything that doesn't fit perfectly on the screen, which is most PDFs. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

SlightButSteady posted:

Doesn't it also depend on the formatting? I'm sure some ebooks are tagged in a way that makes them constant, otherwise referencing them would be a poo poo of a thing.

It is. :smithicide:

You're looking for PDFs.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Dunno, PDFs are horrible on Android so I never looked much into it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

This is the book in question ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RJCW68 ).

As you can see it's billed as [Kindle Edition] and I purchased it to read on my Kindle Fire. However upon closer inspection you can only view this book in their [Kindle for PC] program (which is essentially a glorified pdf reader). I would like to be able to read the book on my Kindle Fire with some semblance of the formatting preserved.

edit:
Yes I bought it with that account but putting it on the Kindle isn't an option in the menu, I emailed Amazon and the rep force sent it to my Kindle. I tried to download/read it on my Kindle and I am told that it's incompatible and the Kindle refuses to open the file.

Barnes and Noble has the same problem, they claim the "Nook Study" PC app is the only way their textbooks can be read, which continually pisses off Nook owners. I'm in the middle of stripping my DRM at the moment for one of my current textbooks so I can read it on my Nook.

Their pitch is that the Nook (and presumably the Kindle Fire pitch since they're comparable) is not able to handle the annotation, which is obviously bullshits since my Nook has better hardware than the laptop I'm using for the Nook Study app. The real reason is publishers are loving cocks, and they're who you should be writing to if you're going to bother.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to ignore the clear incentive to :filez: this book after I've done all the work the prep it. :rolleyes:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My Book screen is fine for textbooks, and is only an inch smaller than my netbook's. The point I was trying to make is it's not about hardware; when the DRM is gone they look fine and read easily. The whole thing is a huge troll (especially the Nook /= Nook Study part) and I think it's hilarious that Amazon has done exactly the same thing.

ZShakespeare posted:

Why don't you just strip the DRM and convert it to a PDF? If you are going to try to shoehorn it into doing something it was never meant to do you might as well give it some effort.

Thanks for the kind words, it's a .pdf in the first place, and my earlier post was about stripping the DRM.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

He might have been talking to me, or maybe us both though :iiam:

True that, it was more of a

ZShakespeare posted:

shoehorn it into doing something it was never meant to do

... come on, really? :rolleyes:

It's probably more directed at you than me, but I was frustrated by that attitude and took it personally. Last night was irritating in general, I ran out of pain meds. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For that matter, why would anyone buy movies on DVD? They don't have a 2 story screen like a theater does.

My textbooks need to be panned and zoomed on the PC on a 20-inch screen as well because a lot of the page is gappy white space; the user experience is just as bad as you describe for your tablet and is still the publisher's fault. When a book is lovely as a PDF it's usually because it hasn't been re-edited at all, the Quark documents were just PDFed (usually exported directly from Quark or InDesign via "Save As PDF") without any intercession by someone employed to make it readable.

Sorry your experience sucks; all we're trying to say is it's not the only experience, and I think you're being a dick about it. What part of "once the DRM is removed it turns out to be perfectly usable" is hard to understand? v:shobon:v