Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lost my forma on an airplane today. Anything I need to do security wise? I unlinked my credit card from my kobo account but from what I can tell there's no remote management.

My major complaint on the forma is though it's larger than a kindle it's not really large enough for research papers. Also the brightness control is PWM which is kind of janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

reMarkable update: I sent it back after a week. One of the major intended use cases was for my wife to read & annotate scientific papers, but any PDF from Science took over 15 seconds to load each page, and occasionally crashed the entire device. Most other PDFs were fine, but she reads so many from Science that we weren't going to compromise on a $450 device.

I’m considering getting a Sony digital paper 13” for the same application. You know if that would work better than the remarkable?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nope, never tried one.

I saw a Sony PRS-600 reader in a thrift store today for $25, but reviews make it sound like it wasn't that special even back in 2009. Nice heft and feel to it, though.

Put an order in last night will be here Wednesday or so. I’m wondering if the negative reviews it gets is because it’s not a manga reader.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nope, never tried one.

I saw a Sony PRS-600 reader in a thrift store today for $25, but reviews make it sound like it wasn't that special even back in 2009. Nice heft and feel to it, though.

Well I think I really like the DPT-RP1. I feel it's a little old technology (came out 2017) but it's really the best on the market for what it does (e.g. A4 paper size at the lightest weight). Before this I had a kobo forma I lost and the size differential is a big deal for technical literature. Obviously this isn't the best product if you have color figures to look at but most of the figures in my field aren't.

It's kind of an expensive tool-- $600 is a lot for a fancy pdf reader. I'll have to give taking notes a go and see how that adds to the value.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

milkman dad posted:

Well I think I really like the DPT-RP1. I feel it's a little old technology (came out 2017) but it's really the best on the market for what it does (e.g. A4 paper size at the lightest weight). Before this I had a kobo forma I lost and the size differential is a big deal for technical literature. Obviously this isn't the best product if you have color figures to look at but most of the figures in my field aren't.

It's kind of an expensive tool-- $600 is a lot for a fancy pdf reader. I'll have to give taking notes a go and see how that adds to the value.

So I've had this over a month now and have really fell in love with it, especially with the quarantine efforts. What's great about it is that you can connect it to your pc with a usb cable and display what the tablet displays (thought the tablet is monochrome the "screen viewer" is in color). This is terrific for providing lectures, because you can scribble out notes in real time like a chalkboard (that defaults to save as a pdf) as well as annotate scientific articles in real time.

It doesn't do a lot, but what it does it does very well.