Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

epub support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I want a Kindle Voyage because of its high screen res and great display reviews. I'd also like to read epub, ideally without converting using Calibre. I doubt Amazon will cave on epub support; do y'all think we'll get a hacked kindle that can read epub, or a Kobo with a comparable display to the Voyage in the near future?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Is the screen on the Kobo Glo HD that much worse? The resolution is comparable to the Voyage/Paperwhite (2015), but I don't know how it compares in other regards.
My understanding is that the Kobo has a 220PPI display, and the Voyage has a 300PPI. Most reviews favor the Voyage's display.

Do y'all know if sealed lead-acid batteries release hydrogen when charging? It's well known that you shouldn't charge flooded (and perhaps valve-regulated too) batteries indoors due to the fire hazard, but I don't see where the gas would get out from a sealed design. Given that the chemistry is the same between designs, I suspect SLAs might still release hydrogen. Thoughts?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

The current Kobo Glo HD uses the same display panel as the Kindle Voyage. Any visible differences would just be caused by the lighting system used (I have not actually heard of the light being inferior though).

hope and vaseline posted:

The original Glo has 213 ppi, the Glo HD has a comparable display at 300 ppi.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Onyx makes a model (or two?) with the latest e-ink screen, and their frontlighting is really good. Look for the T68. They run Android, so you'll want a good reading app (the bundled one is alright but nothing special); I recommend Calibre Companion with FBReader. Calibre Companion is an Android organizer. It syncs and even uses custom columns, tracks read date, etc. FBReader is the app you'll use to actually read books.

Thanks dudes; didn't know about the Glo HD or Onyx. It looks like the Onyx is tough to get hold of.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 27, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Trying to ship a Kobo to an APO address was pretty frustrating. Their website won't let you access the US store (redirects etc; no messages about why) from outside the US. I got around it through a sorta-Proxy; then it gave an error about the shipping address, again with no explanation. I called support, (which were clearly outsourced, and knew little about the device or website setup) and was told based on the error and no further data that I should "Go to a nearby store" to buy it. I spoke to a manager who asked me to send a screenshot of the error, but had no idea what the shipping policy was, or if there was any way to order. I eventually ordered through a forwarding service, but they were making it tempting to one-click a Voyage on Amazon.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anyone know fixes for bad font rendering in Calibre on Windows 10?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'd been using Calibre on Ubuntu with no font problems; they arrose when I switched to Windows. Switching fonts doens't appear to help.

I configured Cleartype; toggling cleartype on and off the first time I tried instantly fixed the problem, but it's reverted, and this trick doesn't work anymore.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Kobo Aura H20 gripes; only reader I've used, so can't compare to Kindle etc:
-Requires you to login to use/setup the device. I figured I could just turn on and load books via USB; nope.
-Wifi doesn't work on some networks, including my home one.
-Using Calibre with it breaks it until you do a factory reset
-Home page is crappy / trying to sell you stuff / no way to make it your book library
-Touch screen responsiveness is dicey and inconsistent.

Positives:
-You can load epub and fonts as a removable storage device by plugging into a computer
-Screen looks nice, long bat life.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think any employer who is that serious about security is just going to take your word for it that the wifi has been unsoldered. It's probably going to be considered contraband regardless.
Seconded.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Torabi posted:

I tried using calibre to convert a pdf file. I know converting pdf files isn't the best idea but one problem is that I can't seem to find a profile for my kindle paperwhite. There are only profiles for the older ones with lower resolution.

Edit:

Or actually it is called the Paperwhite 3 apparently in the profile list but the resolution seems wrong.
What do the profiles do?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The writing on that fund-raising page is vulgar: Exaggerated descriptors and weasel-words throughout, and an emphasis on putting down existing devices.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 28, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

It seems Icarus reader is going for Indigogo, but with an Eight inch reader: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/illumina-xl-8-inch-android-e-reader#/
I'd buy that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Karthe posted:

Oh yeah, I know Calibre's main feature set involves ebook organization and management. But I'm one of those people who organizes by folder structure. I never bothered with Calibre because it seemed like an iTunes-esque organizer, in the sense that once you imported your collection into it you'd have to then search for everything by title or author to manually re-organize back into custom playlists/shelves/collections/etc... because there's no metadata within the ebooks that says "this is from the Humble Bundle Sci Fi bundle 2". With a file path I can tell it right away what collection a book is in because everything's in /Humble Bundle/Sci Fi Bundle/Volume 2/.
Same.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Are there any readers that work standalone with Epubs and don't try to sell you stuff or make you connect to the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'd like to try it, but I'm suspicious the lack of colors would be a dealbreaker. I write notes on a Surface tablet for math/science classes and general thoughts, and differentiating things by color's a key part of my organization. Things like differentiating parts of a problem by changing color, or marking pairs of parenthesis with like colors, or coloring numbers and operators differently. Makes reading easier.