Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...
I'm looking for something roughly pocket size, that can read PDFs decently. I'm not going to be looking at full color photos and not many charts, mostly text. PDFs themselves are mostly text based, as for scans, I guess least-worst is all I can ask for based on response to the last person who asked about that. 3G isn't a concern, I'm mostly reading stuff from feedbooks/guttenberg/etc. Audio would be nice, but not necessary, Web browser and video playback not needed. Hoping to stay under $150. Been looking at stuff like the Sony pocket, but don't know how they all compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Then what's the least worst and how bad is it?

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

cybrancyborg posted:

Then what's the least worst and how bad is it?

Someone's gotta have an opinion on this

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Troubadour posted:

Least worst what? E-reader? There's all kinds of feature sets and prices, how about you talk about what you're planning to do with it?

Read PDFs on something pocket-ish size for under $150

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

The opinion was stated that there is no amazing option. Both the Kindle and Nook can technically handle it, but aren't amazing at it. My advice would be to convert the book to Mobi/ePub via calibre, but i just tried it and it doesn't work too well on the Kindle 3.

Any advice on a cheap case for the Kindle (or if it even needs one)? I really don't feel like spending a shitload of money on a case.

Right, in absence of an amazing option, I just want the best/least worst one.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

vyst posted:

I'm trying to decide on an e-reader but I'm on the fence between the Kindle Wi-Fi and the Nook Color. I'd be doing some fiction/non fiction reading from "normal books" but my main focus is a way to carry my PDF library of MS Press books with me so I can study for my technical exams. The books come with digital PDF copies when you buy them so I know they have to be pretty well done (they are also in black and white).

I guess my question is which of the two handles PDF's better and if anyone has used them to carry MS Press books and their experiences?

I've read that the new Sony PRS x50 readers handle PDFs better than most other e-ink readers of similar size.