Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way of buying books from another online shop and reading them on my Kindle (paperwhite)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm interested in the new PocketBook Color 7.8 inch (https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/15/22284923/pocketbook-inkpad-color-kaleido-e-reader-available-now-price) both because I want to move away from Amazon products and because it has USB-C charging but I have a lot of kindle books already.

Does anyone know of a good way of transferring bulk transferring them?

Edit: Or to give the full story my old Kindle died and I want a non-Amazon, USB-C charging device with a good quality display and user interface. Are there many options these days?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 16, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You’ll have to strip the DRM if you haven’t already to use them on other devices. Calibre and the DeDRM plugin can do this though you have to jump through some hoops to get the correct version that is just old enough to defeat the protection.

As far as non-Kindles with USB C. It’s going to be smaller companies like what you have linked or most of the current gen Android based ereaders such as the Boox Onyx Note Air and its ilk. Not even Nook or Kobo have USB C devices yet.

A side benefit for an Android based ereader is that you can sideload the Kindle app to read your content. I can’t speak for the quality however.

Yeah, I actually thought ereaders were a dead category but turns out there are a lot of smaller companies still involved. The BOOX Poke 3 looks like a good replacement and does have the kindle app. People seem to complain about the swiping affect which is more suited to devices with a real screen though.

Breaking the DRM looks like a real pain.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just to let people know I bought the Poke 3 as a present and it’s got great reviews so far. As it’s an android device we were able to download the kindle app and a couple of local Danish reading apps and it all works smoothly.

It’s powerful enough to do that, but not full featured enough to get distracted by the bells and whistles.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I decided to go ahead and try out the Poke 3, so I'll let you know how I find it.

I bought one and it’s working great. Mainly reading via the Amazon kindle app and a library app so haven’t tested the store.

Did have to do some weirdness to get the Google play App Store working.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks like the Kindle Paperwhite will be the sweet spot for me, wireless charging doesn't interest me at that price difference, all I really want is the warm backlight, and the auto-brightness doesn't really work for me on my Voyage.

And USB C :blastu:

Where did you see the USB C confirmation?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm all for usb c but other than the hard drive I don't really think that's as much of an upgrade as they make it seem.

You can plug it in upside down.

(also it uses the same charger as my laptop which is nice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Well, no need to ponder further - ars technica confirmed it's USB-C. Another hold out bites the dust.