Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Looks like the Kindle books can finally be bought as gifts. Looks like I can actually give my parents some Kindle book gift ideas this holiday.

http://www.kindlepost.com/2010/11/give-kindle-books-as-gifts.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Parkettpolitur posted:

I just got a Kindle and I'm loving it. Can someone tell me exactly what Calibre lets me do and why I should use it? So far, I've gotten all my books in the Kindle store, even when I was just reading on my iPad.

Calibre allows you to convert non amazon style files (epub or other comic files) to a mobi format usable on your kindle. This is particularly useful if you are getting books from some of the many free book sites out there (google books, gutenberg, ect.).

If you are just downloading stuff from the Kindle store though, you will have no real reason to use Calibre.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I'm pretty sure amazon does returns on ebooks anyway.

They do, up to 7 days after buying it too.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Ziir posted:

Wait, the only way I can put an item on my Kindle into the archived section (and consequently away from my home screen) is if it was purchased through Amazon? So books I transfer from calibre can't go there? :wtc:

This is correct. Though you could just make a folder that is called Calibre Archived or something similar and store your old books there.

Not sure why you would want to archive books available through calibre anyways, but that's how I'd do it.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Well poo poo. I learned the hard way that Kindle books that are loanable can only ever be loaned once. That makes it a significantly less useful feature.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

For those who've read books on a dedicated eInk reader like a Kindle or Nook, and read them with eReader apps on an iPad or similar, how does the experience compare in your opinion? How far off was the experience of reading on a tablet in comparison? Similar with subtle differences? Much worse?

I have an Ipad, but I rarely read anything on it, even with the Kindle App. It's simply much larger and heavier then Kindle, not to mention the Kindle screen is better suited to the task of reading. So I would rate it as worse, but not terrible. The dedicated device is the way to go if you enjoy long bouts of reading.

One of the benefits I found about the Kindle verses a real book is one I rarely see mentioned. Outside reading is generally easier, no pages blowing in the wind, and doesn't go flying when you set it down. I love reading in breezy weather though so it was a unseen advantage the first time I did it.

Another huge benefit is reading up and coming authors who are self-publishing on Amazon. Some are hit or miss, but usually for $3 or less you can get some really good novels that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Also if you have thoughts about the book, the authors are almost always responsive, and excited to hear from readers.

Generally I read a bit more then I used to as well, simply because it's more convenient. The agency model was holding me back from buying to many books though, so I'm glad the agency pricing is going away because that was a huge deterrent from purchasing many of the newer novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Martytoof posted:

My local library's e-book collection is worthless unless I enjoy trashy romance novels, apparently.

Almost makes me wish I still had my library card from all the places I used to live, just o compare.

Inter-library loans are your friend, if they have that as a possibility.

EDIT: Though, I don't think you can get an inter-library loan as an ebook...