Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ara posted:

Tokyo. iPhone is everywhere but nobody ever has a tablet. I didn't know it was that popular in the US.

I've seen quite a few in the Nagoya area, but to be fair I don't think they're as popular over here as they are in the States (and presumably elsewhere). Some dimwit was actually running on a treadmill next to me the other day while reading his ...

I've got a Kindle on the way over here, is there a consensus on what is the best cover/case? Didn't see anything in the OP about that. I'm not particularly inclined towards one over the other in terms of form; I'll probably just go with whatever comes recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

maxnmona posted:

The official case with the light. I don't know why anyone would get anything else.

Is there a reason why? There are dozens of covers/cases available.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

maxnmona posted:

It attaches without any straps and it has a really convenient light on it that doesn't ever require a battery charge. Even if you don't plan on reading in the dark, the kindle kinda sucks in low light so having the light is great.

That's sounds pretty drat good. Thanks!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
My Kindle 3 arrived today, and I loaded it up with all my previously purchased content over WiFi. Linked my Kindle to my Audible account, and a handful of audiobooks I've purchased showed up in my archive. I went in and selected all of them to download, then went to the gym. When I came back, 1 of the 6 audiobooks was successfully downloaded. Waited about 6 hours, none of the others showed up, so I checked the "active downloads" menu and found that they were pending and a single title was stuck at 1% with the instructions "wireless connection required". The little circle on the upper left that indicates wireless is working is not spinning unless I go to the Kindle store or use WiFi in another manner.

My wireless is set up fine, I can browse the Kindle store/etc. I understand the audiobooks are significantly larger than Kindle books and thus take more time to download; that isn't the problem. They aren't downloading beyond the first title and they are stuck in active downloads. I have approx. 2.5GB free space on my Kindle, the audiobooks are a combined 1.5GB at their highest quality, and from viewing the file of the single audiobook that downloaded it would appear they aren't any larger than that (perhaps smaller). Something is stuck.

I realize now I should have just manually added them via USB. I suppose I could still do that, but I would also like to remove them from the "active downloads" on my Kindle. Is there any way to do this?

edit: And going to the Audible website a second time (the 1st time all I did was press the "Link to Amazon" button), I find out that I've now somehow signed up for an Audible Platinum Membership at $25 a month? WTF?

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 20, 2011

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there any reason people choose the Nook Color over an iPad save for the price difference? I currently have both a Kindle and an iPad, I use the Kindle for "books" and the iPad for magazines/comics/and multimedia. Quite happy with both, and really prefer the e-ink screen for text over the LCD screen.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sporadic posted:

This is the biggest problem with ebooks today. (I noticed this while putting together recommendations for my Dad while browsing my archive)

That makes sense. Why wouldn't the price of a book, that was released 24 years ago, double in price over the course of a year???

Not that it makes any more sense really, but it looks like you purchased it when Amazon was still controlling the price points, before select publishers strong-armed them into publisher-set pricing. There are a dozen-or-so books I'm kicking myself for not purchasing before they basically doubled in price sometime last year. :bang:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sporadic posted:

I don't see how they would lose a huge amount of money. What's the difference between 30 people waiting for a book and those same 30 people getting the book at the same time? They already decided that they aren't going to buy it for whatever reason.

If I wanted to read a book, tried the library and saw the waiting list was 30 people (meaning my wait would be over a year), I would just buy it. I can't be alone in this.

edit: what I mean is not every library user is either a spendthrift Scrooge McDuck or homeless. The library can be a convenient way to read books you might not otherwise purchase, and it can also be an inconvenient way to read books you'd rather purchase than wait for days/weeks/years. It can be a million other things too.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 30, 2011

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

fishmech posted:

To be frank here, it is already easier to pirate an ebook than to sign up for a library's digital services, activate a device, and wait to get a copy (assuming the library even bought one for the book you want).

As for your edit, the music industry hasn't collapsed even though every one knows you can buy an mp3 player and get all the music you want for free at minimal risk so.

Why bring a pirate to a librarian vs. publisher fight?

(It's not even a fight, libraries pay-for or are-given the individual books they loan, it's pretty simple. You can't expect them to have an infinite stock. It's easier to do a lot of things than legally obtain a copy of a particular book.)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

fishmech posted:

Can you show me like 1000 books with the prices out of whack? That would be only about 0.1% which is hardly "tons" but still.

Yes that article tells you that advances are a gamble that the book will make enough money to cover the advance payment of royalties.

I'm not trying to get on either side of this argument, buy anyone who purchases a significant number of ebooks from the Kindle store will have seen tons of examples. I just looked through my 3-page Wish List, and more than half of them had the price set by the publisher. Of those, in all but one example the Kindle price was HIGHER than the paperback price. In than lone exception, it was the same as the paperback price.

edit: this list is likely skewered by the fact than I'm less likely to purchase an ebook with this pricing structure, but the point is, it happens a lot.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 4, 2011

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Also, I can save $100 on a Kindle if I get a year's subscription to Audible. Do Audible books work on the Kindle (does it have a speaker) and if so, does it work very well?

I've found that audiobooks work surprisingly well on the Kindle. The sound quality is quite good out of the stock speakers (which I guess isn't too surprising since it's almost exclusively speech), but it has a headphone port if you need it. I'm not a huge audiobook fan, but I've used the Audible functionality several times on flights, and was happy to have it available. Which is several times more than I expected to when I purchased it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantify! posted:

Yeah, imagine how cheap it could be if they didn't spend money developing worthless features.

These aren't obvious costs but they're included in the price that you pay.

It's not a big deal, I just have an opinion on it.

That's just a really naive view of how product pricing works though. The Kindle wouldn't cost any less without that menu of "experimental" features.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Duckman2008 posted:

otterbox.com would be your best hope (plus ziplock bag).

Otterbox on Amazon has pretty lovely reviews. I would like to pick one up to try it, but the price plus international shipping isn't that tempting. Anyone here have one and can comment on it? I'm currently doing the Ziploc thing but would love to have something that I can leave on for any situation.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sperg Victorious posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&tag=kwab-20&docId=1000705681

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

Thanks for posting this. Their last sale I picked up half-a-dozen books, and this one I found nearly a dozen. These are great, great sales and I hope Amazon continues these.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Unless you already have a tablet you're probably better off just printing it out, no?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mu Zeta posted:

The Nook Touch will also last over a month without needing a recharge.

This is a huge benefit if you're going to be doing any serious amount of reading. Personally I don't mind reading Kindle books on my iPhone/iPad at all, the LCD never bothers me and I kind of like the back lit screens for whatever reason. But the battery thing is just crucial when you're traveling, etc.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Humerus posted:

So I just got my Kindle on Saturday and can I just say I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's simply amazing. Question though: is there a way to "hide" books off my home screen without deleting them from the device? I have a bunch of Philip K. Dick books and I put them all under a category, trying to make things cleaner on my home screen. Only now it shows the catgory and all of his books and stories anyway. I would love a way to just have a list of authors then just click on their names to be taken to all their works on my device. Is this possible?

Another thing-I somehow have two copies of the Kindle User Guide on my account. Deleting one doesn't seem to work, I assume because once you delete it, Amazon automatically adds it to your account again? Anyone else have this?

Thanks.

I had two user guides on mine as well for some reason, I went to the "Manage My Kindle" portion of their website and deleted the older version and it hasn't come back.

Your folder problem sounds like you might not be sorting the home screen by "Collections".

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lot 49 posted:

I don't really know what I'm posting this. Just if you've ever returned a book to amazon for the refund tell me why you did it please.

I've done it for formatting reasons. My hope was that it would get back to the author and he/she would eventually format it correctly. It was a book I own a hard copy of and I'd still like a quality digital copy someday. Of course, being Amazon it only took like a one sentence email and less than 12hrs. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, it's ultimately for the greater good of the ebook market.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Man that video really killed my desire to switch from the keyboard. I guess I had huge expectations after seeing a few still pictures and such, but that brightness setting makes a huge difference. 10 in that video was drat close to 0 in daylight. If you can use it at full brightness to "fake" whiteness for as long as my current gen runs (this is just wishful thinking), I'd consider it, but I guess I was expecting a technology that isn't ready for the mass market yet.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ugh. I use audiobooks and text-to-speech on my Kindle all the time. And they just announced that cool new Whispersync for Audible stuff. This just gets worse and worse the more I find out about it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

thorsilver posted:

You're right, and the news is not good, according to this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194529

The answer is, basically, Japanese ebook stores seem to be locked to Japanese IPs, just as I feared. So much for that idea.

I don't think this is true for the Amazon Kindle Store. As some of the commenters on that link mentioned, if you create an account at Amazon.jp (make sure the account uses a Japanese physical address, which shouldn't be a problem, particularly as your wife is Japanese) you can link it (use the same email address) to your other account and purchase via both websites, even using the same credit card for purchases. Your Kindle ebooks should still be pushed to your Kindle devices. You can test this from the U.K. by creating an Amazon.jp account and "buying" a free Kindle ebook (public domain or whatnot) to try via their PC client.

I'm in Japan and juggle digital downloads through Amazon.com/Amazon.jp all the time and have never had a problem.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bull3964 posted:

I'm really hoping in another 3 years or so none of this will matter and all books will be DRM free. The writing is on the wall (so to speak). Tor already said that going DRM free had no effect at all on their piracy rates. Just this past week, Image Comics (the 3rd largest distributor) went DRM free.

One by one, they are realizing the reality of the situation.

Hey I hope this happens too, but it's kinda premature to say one-by-one they're changing when exactly two independent publishers have dropped DRM for their digital goods. Purchases that are far outside their dominant ecosystems to boot.

(Image Comics isn't the 3rd largest "distributor" by any means. They are arguably the 3rd largest publisher of North American comics.)

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 5, 2013

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Maybe my tastes run eclectic, but there is virtually nothing from my wishlist available. Tons and tons of self-published drivel in there as well. Seems to skew towards popular fiction, I widened my search to relatively popular non-fiction stuff that ~sort of~ interested me and came up empty handed as well. I couldn't cancel that 30-day trial fast enough.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Through some turn of events I deleted my "documents" file from my Kindle Keyboard. Thankfully I had a backup. Put everything back, but now my collections are no longer sorting by most recent (they're in a random order). I really liked that feature to be honest. A reset did not fix the problem. What can I do to get them back to normal?

Also, perhaps related, the Kindle now claims I have 0MB free, which is definitely not the case.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Tiggum posted:

I'm still using mine. In fact, I have two, because when the first one broke it was cheaper to replace than fix, and once the price of replacement screens came down I bought one.

As am I. The battery is a bit poo poo now, but it's gonna take one hell of an update and a sweet price point to make me give it up. It's strapped into the official case and is a joy to read.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Sometime in the past couple of weeks someone with a Kindle Keyboard posted about battery issues. A few people posted back regarding buying a new battery and installation. I've searched for pages and pages, but the original posts seemed to have magically disappeared.

Anyways, one poster suggested leaving it charged for at least 48hrs and powering it off/on. I tried this, and if the past week is any indication, it worked! What kind of black magic is this?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm upgrading from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kindle Oasis (I gotta have those buttons). I've saved a backup of my Keyboard; can I just copy/paste that folder onto my Oasis? Or is it going to gently caress something up...?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I picked up the previous version of the Kindle Oasis when they were clearing them out for $150. The product was for the 3G wireless version, but I'm not seeing any option for it. Not really complaining, but am I missing something? I live overseas for what it's worth, and it's my Amazon billing address. I don't know why they'd ship me one without it though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there a way on the Kindle Oasis to see what books are NOT in a collection. On my Kindle, I'd sideload books and they'd show up on the home screen until I put them in a collection. On the Oasis they just lump them into the "Books" category. So I'm paging through 70 pages trying to find and remember what books I have yet to add to a collection...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you go into the collection you want to add books into, there's a menu to add books and basically any book not already in that collection will be unchecked for you to add. Would that work for you? Calibre does this too by way of a plugin I guess? I can't really comment on this as I don't really use it.

Great! Thanks so much for the help. I'll try it tonight. It's certainly easier than going through every single book one-by-one. I use Calibre to convert books that are cheaper/only in ePub but I've never really used it to manage my Kindles. I may give that a shot as well.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

smr posted:

Do you have the Library View set to "View As Collections"? I don't have my Kindle with me at work, but I could swear when I view it this way it auto-generates an "Uncollected" Collection that allows me to easily go in there and assign those books to their proper collections of my choice.

Yeah, I do (just checked). Thanks for the advice though. It's really kind of mind-boggling to me that they would expect you to scroll through a thousand books or whatever to find the newest one you bought. Sorting by "Recent" doesn't show me the most recently added books. It doesn't even seem to be the books I've most recently read, save for the very first one. :iiam:

The other annoying thing I've found is that you make an "Audiobook" collection. It's not that hard to just go in and sort by audiobooks, but I like having everything in it's own place, ya know?

All complaints aside... Actually the battery life even in airplane is pretty poo poo. But it is a drat beautiful screen and amazingly light. Page turn buttons forever.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

smr posted:

Following up on this... in the Kindle iOS app, for sure, if I set Library to View As Collections, any item NOT in one is put into a Collection called Uncollected, making it very easy to just go in there, bulk-select stuff and throw it into a proper category.

Hmm. I see that my iOS app automatically groups books into general collections by type (books/docs/periodicals/etc.) but doesn't seem to let me create any. I'm probably just doing something wrong or missing an option.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

If I want an e-ink screen, physical buttons, backlight, and epub support, is a Kobo my best bet?

If you have your heart set on ePubs probably. Conversion is so easy though, and there have been some heavily discounted Oasis deals lately. I picked one up for $150 and couldn't be happier. IMO it has best form-factor of any eReader I've ever used. It's kind of a love it or hate it type though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I have both an Oasis and a Forma, and have found myself using the Forma pretty much exclusively over the past several months while the Oasis gathers dust. I appreciate the lighter weight and larger screen of the Forma most of all, plus the ease of installing Koreader which allows making proper use of full screen real estate possible. I bought the Oasis for the better backlight but eventually realized that I do most if not all of my reading in places where there's plenty enough light for the backlights on both devices to not really be necessary.

Yeah I do most of my reading in relative darkness before bed, so the twenty-something self-adjusting lights are a key addition in my personal use case. And I'm in the camp that loves the form factor.

I didn't keep the Forma, but gave one a test ride and thought it was a pretty similar piece of tech. The form factor is very similar. Personally I felt it was a little too big for my tastes. I don't know anything about Koreader, I'll have to look it up. Assuming it's not available for Oasis?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Koreader can be put on the Oasis but it has to be rooted. I haven't had time to try it yet - seemed a bit more convoluted a process than getting it onto the Forma from my casual research.

Thanks, I look into it. Looks interesting.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for this confirmation; I have no experience rooting a Kindle and was wondering if it was just my ignorance or it was actually drat-near impossible.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I love my Oasis, but drat the battery sucks. My old Kindle Keyboard lasted MUCH longer. With wifi enabled, it drops by 1% every minute or so. It does last significantly more in airplane mode.

But I love the form factor and lighting, so ultimately I don't regret the upgrade.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Silly Burrito posted:

If you want page turn buttons, go Oasis over the Voyage. I had the Voyage and upgraded to an Oasis within a few weeks and prefer those much more.

The buttons are exactly why I held onto that Kindle Keyboard so long. Personally, it just feels wrong tapping the screen to turn pages. I can understand people not caring about though, especially at the price.

smr posted:

the screen, buttons, ecosystem, warm lighting... unbeatable.

Yeah, it's nearly perfect IMO. I'll hold onto it until (and if) color e-ink screens enter the Kindle family.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Silly Burrito posted:

Readability would be my biggest advantage. I've tried reading books on my phone and iPad, and it really does wear my eyes out after awhile. But I can read a Kindle for a long time with no major issues. You're right that price would be an issue, but I'm just looking for something that displays books, PDFs, and comics. I'm not looking for the same functionality as a tablet in this, but that's just me.

I'm real interested to see how comics look on a color e-ink screen. I've switched my comic reading almost exclusively to ComiXolgy (and YAC for non-DRM, Humble Bundle type stuff) on iPad. The interesting thing is the colors pop so much it's unnatural, and I can't even say if I prefer it over paper or not. It's just a different experience.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Someone in this thread posted a hack where you power off your Kindle at like 1% and charge it or something? Anyways I did it to my old Kindle Keyboard and it objectively doubled the battery life. Sounds like bullshit it worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there some trick to getting your Kindle to sync to where the associated Audible books are? Audible instantly recognizes where I am in the Kindle, and offers to move ahead. But my Oasis won't sync up with where I'm at in Audible...

Or is it just a janky system that doesn't work well?