Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I almost bought the 13" Onyx but what stopped me was rumours of non-existent or lacking support, both regular and long-term. Other than that, I really liked the idea of Android-based eink reader because of the flexibility.

I got PocketBook X instead and ended up returning it because the build quality for that price was atrocious. However, I really liked the open nature of PocketBook and might actually buy a different model that's built better.

That said, how is the build quality of the device compared to something like Kindle? I have old Touch (extremely well built IMO) and my partner has Paperwhite (don't like the surface finish but can't say anything bad about it's sturdiness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Y'all have brain damage, says me, a poster responding to every single person how wrong their buying criteria are

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

chippy posted:

No they didn't, they just couldn't really understand why it would be a deal-breaker.

I also reply really aggressively every time I cannot understand something and virtually shout at people that they're crazy. Definitely not having a meltdown, nope.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Just got Oasis as a gift last week. It's a super sleek device, all aluminum with screen covered with glass. The text is nice and crisp, can't notice any unevenness in backlight. All in all a nice upgrade compared to my Kindle Touch. I wish a company like PocketBook made something on par with this because I would prefer an open device but their PocketBook X which cost almost double of this Oasis was so shoddy I had to return in before the fortnight trial period was over. Also they should have a serious talk with whomever thought animations of any kind on e-Ink are a good idea. The first time I've seen the carousel animation to flip through you library I couldn't stop thinking: what the hell?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I switched from my Kindle Touch (bought on release, so ~2011) to Oasis last year and even then I'd say the battery life was on par, at best.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Anyone having issues with book covers displayed on the lock screen being wrong? In the library it displays correctly but on the lock screen is just a generic background with a title in the middle. The book in question was bought from the store, not sideloaded. I have the new Oasis.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I will have to test that but if so that's really dumb.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I had the InkPad X for a while and it was great except for the build quality which I felt could have been better, though maybe it was just that one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I love the Oasis but not gonna lie, especially in winter it can get really cold to hold :v: