Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

pienipple posted:

Dear Publishers,

Please stop with the bullshit prices. There's no reason for the ebook to be more than the paperback edition. I recently decided to re-read Lies My Teacher Told Me because I remember enjoying it and I haven't seen my copy since I lent it to someone in 8th grade. It was available for $4.50 for Kindle, so I bought it. The new introduction also recommends Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States so I looked that up and it was 14.99. The paperback is 11.29.

It's not bullshit, the paperback is lower because of the economic realities of the current publishing industry right now, unfortunately it means eBooks don't fit in very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

madprocess posted:

That's just stupid. Most publishers don't do that bullshit (and it is bullshit).

Well it's either that or a sliding scale on eBooks to keep the price in parity with the current lowest priced physical copy, in which case people will complain about getting ripped off when they bought it x months ago.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

madprocess posted:

Uh, tons of books on Kindle store, especially ones where the physical book has been out for over 5 years, are below the price of a new paperback (usually between $4 and $7 with paperbacks available for $6-$9).

Yes there are a lot of books out now that are being sold for less that the publishers would like, but that's due more to Amazon's pressure on pricing than publishing houses trying to make eBooks popular; hence all the talking about devaluing books.

quote:

And the complaining about prices dropping thing is dumb. You're saying ebooks should never get cheaper because some people might get mad? Are you high? If you buy any piece of media new now, you'll pay more than it will cost in 5 years in the bargain bin, that's just how it works.

No, I'm saying that the people most likely to buy eBooks are also the people who do complain about the price of digital goods and want them to be free, or nearly free. They're the people who go "$9.99!? But there's no paper, it should be .99"

subx posted:

Mostly I don't the ebook to be more expensive than ANY physical copy. If there's a paperback out that cost $7, the ebook should be $7 (or less). I hate looking at a book and there's a paperback for $7 and ebook for $10.

That's not realistic since the paper copies price is influenced by certain externalities that don't affect digital goods.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 22, 2010

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

madprocess posted:

Quit being obtuse. The publishers are going to have to suck it up just like the music industry did and sell for cheaper than they "like" because that's where the market is. Devaluing books is code for WAH IM A BIG BABY IN A THREE PIECE SUIT AND ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THAN A VCR SCARES ME.

No, it's code for "The current content options are only brought to you courtesy of the money made in the "antiquated" system. If we do what the Google's of the world want and all the only books published will be collected twitter feeds, lolcats and Twilight fan fiction."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sporadic posted:

He's not trolling, he's just insanely pro Apple/anti Amazon.

When Nook was announced, he said it would overtake the market. When iPad was announced, he sold his Nook and said that iPad would sweep the market. He also argues against e-ink saying that LCD eye strain is overblown.

Had the iPad not come out the nook might have taken over, it was a better product, for less money from an established book seller that the publishers were already comfortable selling to. You have to remember that no one saw the iPad coming, at best people expected an OS X version of the Windows tablets that had been out forever, not an industry changing device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kazy posted:

The couple of 3D games I've tried have run fine, but they were just racing games. I haven't tried anything really taxiing just yet, but I have read a couple of comics on my Nook color and even with the full page showing and it was fine. I use Droid Comic Viewer for it. The first few pages take a couple of seconds to load, but after that they load instantly.

Nook Color has 512 mb RAM compared to the iPad's 256, too. If you really want an iPad, wait until the new ones come out. Buying one now would probably be a mistake.

Can't second this hard enough, especially since if you don't care about any of the iPad 2's new features you can always pick up an original when they hit eBay en masse following the announcement.