Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

taqueso posted:

I'm liking the reMarkable so far. It is just the right form factor to replace a writing tablet. The screen is controlled much better than on the Forma, this is a lot more like what I imagined a state of the art eInk device to be like. It is not completely full featured but what is there is very slick and polished. They seem to be doing semi-regular updates, hopefully that will continue.

Now that you've owned it for a while, how do you like the reMarkable? They're down to $450 at this point and that's tempting, although I wonder if they're just trying to clear out inventory before introducing a new version. Still, with a full month to return it if I don't like it, might be worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

reMarkable update: I sent it back after a week. One of the major intended use cases was for my wife to read & annotate scientific papers, but any PDF from Science took over 15 seconds to load each page, and occasionally crashed the entire device. Most other PDFs were fine, but she reads so many from Science that we weren't going to compromise on a $450 device.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

taqueso posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Did you happen to send the offending PDFs to remarkable? I'd like them to fix it for selfish reasons.

I mentioned it in the return form... Every paper we tried from Science did it, so they should be able to reproduce it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

milkman dad posted:

I’m considering getting a Sony digital paper 13” for the same application. You know if that would work better than the remarkable?

Nope, never tried one.

I saw a Sony PRS-600 reader in a thrift store today for $25, but reviews make it sound like it wasn't that special even back in 2009. Nice heft and feel to it, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't think of any decent e-readers that don't at least have Wi-Fi and some kind of associated store, but I've never actually used any of them. I just leave the thing in airplane mode and use Calibre.

This is how I use my Kindle 95% of the time. Interesting note, the "ad supported" version eventually gives up after a couple weeks in airplane mode and just shows a generic "Buy some fucken books on Amazon" ad instead of werewolf time travel romance novels or whatever (where does it decide I'm into that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I want a Remarkable 2 for reading and annotating roleplaying game pdfs. How does the current one handle files that are crammed with an unnecessary amount of high resolution raster graphics?

When I tried a first-gen remarkable, I loaded up the Dying Earth RPG rulebook to test. Lots of images but it still rendered fast. I ended up returning it because a particular scientific journal's papers would make it crash, and the primary reason we got it was so my wife could read papers (afraid I've forgotten which journal)