Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Wouldn't it be far easier to just use a non-metallic paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

FidgetyRat posted:

It would just be easier if they didn't have a conductive material involved at all. Use some kind of resin instead, or make the ports wider so you can insert a thicker terminal which can either be plastic or a rubber-coated metal if required. I couldn't even get a heat-shrink over the terminals to fit inside the kindle it's that thin.

Well obviously that's something Amazon needs to do. But it sounded like you're looking for your own solutions, so I'd pick paint over heat-shrink any day.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Strangelet Wave posted:

Reposting my screensavers for Duckman2008. Also, I've updated the packs once since I first uploaded them--a couple of the screens had a bit of whitespace around the edges, so I fixed them.

I really like these screensavers, but so many of them look *really* dark on my Kindle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Believe it or not the mods do care about pirating poo poo, and openly talking about it can get you banned.

Believe it or not the mods don't usually ban people for talking about programs used for pirating. They can correct me if I'm wrong, but talking about a program used to manage mangas is not treated the same as distributing or posting links to pirated mangas.

Sure, the primary use is primarily for pirated books, just like PS3 backup managers are primarily used for pirating games. Since either one can conceivably be used for legitimate content, it's ok to talk about them.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Aphasian posted:

Has anyone here played text adventures on the Kindle (or other platform) yet? I still visit Baf's and Xyzzy semi-annually and rediscover one of my favorite game formats. I know some of the games can kind of be played online, but is there a z-code/tads interpreter for Kindle that anyone's discovered?

Alternatively, does anyone understand any of the above paragraph?

You can give this a shot: http://adq.livejournal.com/108011.html

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

If you don't do a hard shutdown, the Kindle stays in a low-power sleep mode. Why would you think it draws power only if it has books to index? It's obvious that the startup from sleep is much faster, regardless of whether or not you just added books to the Kindle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

El Hefe posted:

care to tell me how? through the browser I imagine? it seems kinda stupid to do those things with the Kindle anyway when we all own cellphones that can do a much better job, and don't tell me you own a Kindle but don't own a cellphone with internet access...

Good god man, read what you're posting. You sound like a crazy person.

Plus your username is spelled wrong and it's bothering me.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

The problem was on the old Kindle 2 case, which didn't have any elastic.

I tried opening up my Kindle 3 the wrong way and it seems like you'd either have to be drunk or trying to fling it open to actually cause any damage. I mean, it just doesn't really want to open that way, period.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

They had replacing screensavers without hacks in the Kindle 1 and I guess they either found not many people used it or people were complaining about quality and other such things.

Those aren't really satisfying excuses since Amazon seems happy to keep the web browser tucked away in "Experimental Features."

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

It's not super likely they'll be sold in airports. Maybe the Best Buy vending machines have them.

They'd definitely be a more suitable item for an airport vending machine than a drat iPod.

It'd be a great marketing decision. You've got a sale every time somebody with a bit of money realizes they didn't bring anything to read and the bookstore only has 20 stacks of Vince Flynn novels and The Situation's bio.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

If libraries were some kind of a new idea, you know publishers would never allow them to exist at all.

"You mean...they buy a single copy of our book, then let hundreds of people read it for free? Hundreds of possible customers? What kind of commie helltopia is this?"

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SumYungGai posted:

Will Amazon detect these books when I turn wi-fi back on? Does Amazon consider this to be :filez:? Does SA? I'll edit out this post if this is frowned upon. I'm just curious if Amazon blocks this sort of thing.

No, the only difference is that the books won't get stored on Amazon's servers. It'd be a huge clusterfuck if Amazon decided to take action against people putting their own books on the Kindle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Legally, those are very much :filez:. Owning a book in one format does not entitle you to free copies in all future formats.

Tangentially, is breaking the DRM of an eBook in order to use it on another device considered legal under the DMCA? I think it'd be part of some "interoperability" clause, and I'm in a situation where I've got some books tied up on a Sony Library account but no longer have a Sony Reader.

Regardless, Amazon has no way of knowing whether the books you put on a Kindle are licensed to you or not. There are a few independent eBook stores out there that just give you a non-DRMed file.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

LooseChanj posted:

I don't think anything is considered legal under the DMCA.

You'd be surprised...

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-official-response-to-dmca-jailbreak-exemption-it-voids-your-warranty/52463

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I have it turned on, but afaik, that applies to Amazon proper. Not sure if I'm willing to turn it off, as it's been a pretty useful feature for me.

They will not stop letting you refund accidental purchases by selecting the option presented in the Kindle itself. It won't happen.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

A book purchased from Amazon will work on any device that has a Kindle store/app. For example, I routinely read the same book on my phone, Kindle, and laptop and the progress is synced automatically to all the devices.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Devi posted:

Yes, it does. But you quoted the part where I said I don't like e-ink and took out all the other things I like that the Kindle doesn't have. What's your point?

I'm wondering what your point is about not liking eInk, since people usually say things like "I'd prefer to have a backlight and be able to read PDFs" rather than "I don't like it."

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Centipeed posted:

You're right about page flicker. e-Ink has a low refresh rate, and it has to black the screen on every page turn, it seems.

You're right about the colour too - it's still a light grey. It'll be nice when they make e-Ink displays with pure white displays and unnoticeable refreshes, since then it'll be closest to a book.

Luckily I don't mind at all, and I've got a Kindle 3 so the problems aren't so bad as some other readers.

"Closest to a book" is what eInk is right now, since instant refreshes would be really awkward to someone used to turning the page before they read what's on the other side.

Next time you read a book, pay attention to how long it takes you to turn the page and start reading the text on the next. You'll realize that you're really used to just holding the last line of writing in your head while you do it, and that an eInk refresh isn't much slower.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

withak posted:

I bet it is to some people.

I think it's a fine idea as long as the ad-free model remains, but it kind of scares me when I think about the new trend for Android apps to be free and ad-supported without the option of paying for an ad-free version.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only reasons I like my sony moreso than the kindle or nook :

1: milled aluminum feels "tougher" than kindle. Kindle is great and apparently made of metal as well, but feels fragile as hell.

It doesn't just feel tougher, it is tougher. My PRS-505 took a lot of drops without any damage, while my Kindle took one drop and the case popped open (fortunately I could just pop it back together).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: What I don't get is that some counties in Maryland actually rent regular new-release DVDs for free. And my county rents out video games for free.

I have a hard time getting outraged over this like some people, since I figure libraries are about exposing people to media and culture and not just literature. If stocking Star Wars novels is ok, then so are DVDs.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doc Faustus posted:

2. One of the big trends in libraries now is "patron driven acquisition." I will virtually guarantee you your library website has someplace you can request a book. If you request Little Dorrit, I'd bet :10bux: it appears on the library shelf in 2 weeks.

I think most libraries have been doing inter-library loans for a while. It's a little different than simply acquiring a book based on a request, since the library itself just borrows from another library.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ziir posted:

On the subject of shittily formatted books on Amazon, how can I tell whether a book is 'good' or not? The free books on Gutenberg are nice, but if $1 is what it costs to get a quality version of the book then I'll pay it (sometimes).

If I were the kind of guy to write a review for a book online, I bet lovely formatting would definitely be something to mention. Look through the reviews.

maxnmona posted:

As for the cost in hours of my life, that only makes sense if you look at this as a normal business. Which is what publishing companies do, and it's why their increasing irrelevance is great for readers. I don't count the time spent as a cost necessarily, because it was something I chose to do for reasons entirely unrelated to business.

I imagine it's kind of like documentary film making. If you break it down into dollars per hour spent on the project, you might come out slightly ahead of a fry cook at McDonalds. I doubt very many people make documentary films with the intention of getting rich.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

cyberbug posted:

If the Kindle edition guaranteed that the page numbers match some specific physical edition, you could just write the citation to refer to that physical book. That would be pretty much the same as how you usually cite articles from journals, by reading the article digitally and then putting the actual publication data in the reference.

Yeah I don't know how big of a problem that is. It's common enough to find journal papers online that don't have their original page numbers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

madprocess posted:

I'm going to be blunt here: if it was such a good idea, Amazon would have already done it. There you go.

Look at how the Kindle actually made ebooks popular after over a decade previous of muddling along and ebooks costing $19 or even higher.

And look at how Apple revolutionized eBooks and seized the market with their iPad.

People love the Kindle format, and I don't think many are begging for a touchscreen.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

What the hell. When battery life is a month it basically becomes a non-issue. Even with my iPad and its 10 hour life it's not even something I think about anymore.

It was kind of funny seeing the stark difference in "days" of battery life when I read for 3 hours a night. It goes from a month to a week, but obviously it's a non-issue.

Much better to estimate it in page turns and let people figure it out for themselves. Stating it in days is meaningless, even when clarified with "30 minutes of reading a day".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

Really? Are you sure you aren't confusing the Nook and Nook Color?

Yes, they're confused. The eInk Nook can't run the Kindle app, but the Nook Color can.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

elf help book posted:

I hope some old Nook cases get dirt cheap now.

I got the lighted case for the Sony PSR-505 for $5 on a Staples clearance rack after the newer Sony readers came out. It was originally $50.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ara posted:

Am I seriously the only person who LIKES the screen flashing? I don't usually really notice it, but I think it looks cool and feels... I dunno, satisfying somehow.

If you like that then try putting your ear close to the device when you change the page.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hahahahahaha wtf is this? And how did you come to know about this?

I slept in a very quiet room and when reading in bed I'd prop my head up a few inches away from my Kindle. I thought I was going crazy until I figured out what that noise was.

Asclepius posted:

There's the tiniest whirring when you change pages, presumably from the e-ink capsules flipping(?). I needed to be in a fairly quiet environment to hear it.

It sounds like a capacitor charge noise like when you turn on the flash on a disposable camera.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sporadic posted:

What's your definition of running? That looks to be unplayable with the screen attempting to refresh every time there is movement.

Looks like it's running to me, even though it's unplayable, but there's other android apps besides games.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

commish posted:

I guess I don't assume that anything backlit or anything color = lcd screen... I mean, not every b/w screen looks like an e-ink screen, right?

Why do people bring this up, you can't backlight eInk in the first place. The screen is opaque.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Stupid, innovative, way before its time, Sony. The PRS-700BC had LED lights built into the case (above the screen on the sides if I remember right) along with a touchscreen.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...562069#features

Yeah that's a good solution for front-lighting. The Kindle lit case was almost unusable for me since I couldn't get over how uneven the light was.

Sony's hardware design is really, really good. I still have my old PRS-505 lying around that I try to sell on Craigslist every now and then.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Kindle 4, please do this.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/samsung-nc215s-solar-netbook-will-see-the-light-of-day-in-russia/

Cover the back and part of the front with solar panels.

If it is anything like my solar wireless keyboard, it would rule.

See the problem with this solar stuff is that the best way to take advantage of it is to leave your electronics out in the hot sun. Probably not a big problem in Russia.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Do you guys not see the part where I said I own a solar wireless keyboard? Do you think I can only use it outside, in the sun?

I'm not, like, getting mad at you dude.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

beer_war posted:

Yay, getting a new one.

Any tips for some kind of protective case or shell to keep the new one from breaking as well? Or do I just have to handle it like I would a raw egg?

Buy the official case or something to keep it from getting stabbed. Mine's taken a 4-foot drop onto tile, landing face down, and all that happened was that the case popped open a little bit.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

beer_war posted:

Yeah, I'm getting the official case even if it is pretty pricey.

As to how it broke: put it in an empty backpack, when I took it out, the screen was broken. Had I dropped it or stepped on it or poured liquid on it or something like that, then okay, but I didn't realize putting it in an empty backpack without added protection was a huge no-go. :(

Yeah you bumped it into something. Just about any case out there will stop that from happening.

It's too bad Amazon didn't bundle one in, since a naked Kindle is incredibly fragile. My Sony PRS-505 came with an excellent case that never came off of it, and it probably saved them from having to replace so many devices.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bull3964 posted:

It's a $5 off coupon basically (price of a 2gb microsd card). So, why is this even an issue?

Because it's a lovely incentive and they're wasting a good opportunity to cut a cheap deal with independent authors and fringe publishers to expose their work to a wider audience. Throwing in public domain books and a crossword dictionary is laaaame.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Gay Bean posted:

Get Calibre and figure it out that way. There's a metadata field for a summary that's often populated.

To be honest, the menu and organization of the Kindle is pretty disappointing for all the features of the device. It's by default a big long list of all of the titles and authors on your device, organized by most recently added. So if you have 200 books on your device they're all just thrown onto the home screen for you to page through. I'd prefer if it just followed the folder structure.

Yeah the Kindle's organization is really lovely compared to what Sony devices have. It desperately needs categories like "Sort by title," "Sort by author name," "Sort by date added," etc.

It's especially miserable when you're using the Kindle app on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

otterbox.com would be your best hope (plus ziplock bag).

Didn't Jeff Bezos himself recommend a ziplock bag for the Kindle?

quote:

What do you say to Kindle users who like to read in the bathtub?
I’ll tell you what I do. I take a one-gallon Ziploc bag, and I put my Kindle in my one-gallon Ziploc bag, and it works beautifully. It’s much better than a physical book, because obviously if you put your physical book in a Ziploc bag you can’t turn the pages. But with Kindle, you can just push the buttons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/magazine/06fob-q4-t.html?_r=1

FidgetyRat posted:

Haven't figured out how to combat this yet besides putting some paper towel in with the kindle.

Squeeze all the air out of the bag before zipping it up.

reddeathdrinker posted:

On an actual Kindle (not Android/iPhone though), there is a sort by Title/Authour/Collections/Most Recent First option at the top of the books list...

Unfortunately it doesn't work at all like it does on the Sony Readers. Collections, especially, are screwy since you need to manually add the books.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2011