Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sperg Victorious posted:

They might snatch it just because its in your hand and didn't know it was an ereader. But it's not exactly a highly prized target. Kinda, like with those guys who would steal iphones but not the androids.

Time to start rockin' that Sony Walkman circa 1990 :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

What about hipster muggers? :eng99:

Nah, they'd only go after you if you were carrying around an old school phonograph :rock:.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SB35 posted:

I think a Kindle + Calibre is more than enough. But maybe that's just me.

I think some people may be paranoid about Amazon remote bricking their device. I have three Kindles and am not, but w/e.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

As a general warning if you're unable to purchase a Kobo directly from a physical retailer it would be in your best interest to get something else.

What you're describing in usage patterns sounds like you should just stick with a tablet. Go hunt Ebay for a used Nexus 7 and save yourself a boatload of headache.

Nexus 7 has issues in of itself. It's got some serious issues with speed. Mine is basically unusable despite resetting and using custom ROMs. Waste of money.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tarepanda posted:

Have you gotten LagFix? Apparently there was a problem in the past where disk space would be marked as cleared and it wasn't, or something. Even if you reflash or go to 4.1.2+ or something, those old sectors are still bad; LagFix is supposed to go back and manually fix them all.

Ah no, I hadn't heard of this. I'll go try that out tomorrow.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Koburn posted:

My paperwhite just had a meltdown (large parts of screen blank, working very slow) when I added some books through Calibre, after a restart and changing the sorting I discovered what book was causing the problem and deleted it. I looked at the book in Calibre and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. What could of caused this?

Depending on the source of the book, it may simply be extremely poorly formatted. ePub and Mobipocket (including AZW) are simply XML/HTML formatted documents but it is conceivable that someone would format a book improperly.

If the book isn't one of those two formats, then I don't have a good explanation. If it's a PDF, it may just be quite massive and difficult for the device to render...

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding. The Paperwhite is only $79.62 in Japan.

Is there a brick-and-mortar store that one can buy a Paperwhite at in Japan? I'll be there for a couple weeks in October.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I just got a used kindle keyboard as a gift...it apparently had charging issues but I haven't had any. Is a screen protector necessary or am I good to go with just a case to avoid display scratches?

If you didn't already end up with a case, I have this one from Tom Bihn: http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB1214.html

It's a nice padded/plush case and fits the Kindle Keyboard nicely. Additional bonus points in that it integrates well if you have a bunch of Tom Bihn poo poo like me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

I just got my Paperwhite. When converting epubs in Calibre should I convert to mobi or azw3? Or does it not matter?

What the others above me have said is all relevant and true. Anecdote from my end: I always convert to .mobi files (200+ books) and have never had a problem. Take that as you will.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I still think Amazon is fundamentally against the idea of making large collections easy to manage, purely so people aren't tempted to acquire large amounts of books from somewhere other than the Kindle store. So I wouldn't bet on that becoming a feature.

I mean you can already add books to collections, to multiple collections even. It would be trivial for them to open up, or just implement a management tool through your Kindle account. All you're doing is tagging books, and the functionality is there. Yet they don't allow this. I can't see it being an oversight

:tinfoil:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Guilty posted:

Has anyone tried the new paperwhite yet? Assuming I've got money to blow, is it worth the upgrade from the old paperwhite?

hotsauce posted:

Had the original PW. The light was a cold blue tint and horribly uneven. Traded it in on Amazon before the PW2 launched (got $95 for it). Upgraded to the PW2 and the light tint is much warmer and natural, not to mention no splotchiness.

It is an upgrade in every way since you stare at the screen 100% of the time. Highly recommend the PW2. I do wish it had physical page turn buttons and a speaker (for audio TTS reading) though. Still hanging onto my K3 for that.

100% agree. I didn't buy the original PW. Checked out a friends after he got it and reading for 15 minutes was so irritating I didn't bother. I bought refurbished Kindle Keyboard.

Preordered the PW2 after reading reviews mentioning the lighting was fixed. I've read about 30 hours with it now and am really enjoying it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

I really, really need hardware buttons back (on the Paperwhite). I have having to touch my reading surface to flip pages with my laughably goon-stereotype greasy cheeto fingers. I hope the next version has them back.

"Ah, yes, extreme contrast and beautiful type! *splotch* *smudge* Oh"

Use your knuckle. I've been doing that and had no problems.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Jakcson posted:

I ordered a paperwhite back in January, and it has worked perfectly for me, then and now. (I like how you can set the lighting to the lowest setting, and you can read it in just about any type of light.)

Is the new paperwhite a must-have, or is it more like the difference between the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s?

I just use this thing to read books.

A more apt comparison is it's more like the difference between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I guess PPI matters for PDFs, but reading an AZW/Mobi file doesn't seem like a convincing case to care about higher PPI?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll just go ahead and pay full retail.

Refurbished is always an option. I own two refurbished kindles (3 and 4) and they have worked great.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

chippy posted:

So, a combination of receiving some Amazon vouchers as a gift and, a day later, Amazon sending me a code for £30 off a Paperwhite has convinced me it's time to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard.

Thing is, I'm torn over whether to get the 3G or not. My current model is WiFi only and I've never really found myself wishing it was 3G, as on the rare occasion I've been out of Wifi, I've just used the hotspot facility on my phone.

I really want the 3G model though because I'm a nerd, and stuff like Goodreads/Wikipedia integration make me think that the 3G might come in more handy.

So a couple of questions about the Paperwhite that'll help me decide:

- How much does the 3G impact the battery life as opposed to WiFi only? Does it switch off the 3G if you're connected to a WiFi network?
- Does X-Ray require a data connection to work or is the data embedded in the book?
- How does the Goodreads integration work? Does it just update it when you start/finish a book, or does it update your progress through the book as well?

Basically, talk me out of spending an extra £60 on 3G instead of getting a nice case for it.

I honestly don't use the Goodreads/Wikipedia functions as much as I thought I would.

I had 3G on my Keyboard but skipped on it for Paperwhite. I figure Id probably get more books from the library anyway. I don't miss it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It took me a few hours to adjust to the new controls but I prefer the paperwhite a lot. And yeah, I do think the case helps with the holding of it.

Mind you, I still keep accidentally changing font sizes. That's a little irritating.

The case made all the difference for me. I got it about a month after I got the device and was much happier.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

Which case? The official Amazon one or another one? I am going to force myself to stick with the Paperwhite this week.

The official case.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Paperwhite or Kobo? I'm not really locked into Amazon's ecosystem (I do have a couple of books through them, but that's it,) I have a ton of epub formatted books (though I could use Calibre to reformat them.) Price is about the same, though I can get a refurb Kobo for $79 on teh Kobo site (though only hot pink is available.)

So, as I see things, the only deciding factor would be storage capacity, correct (aside from the refurb deal)? They're pretty neck and neck in terms of readability/user experience?

Also, in case anyone wants to try this out, I've had a Paperwhite sitting in my cart for a few days. Today, I went to look at the Kindles again, and a message displayed stating that I was eligible for a "Pay over 5 months" offer - this is the first time I've seen that.

Never owned a Kobo but I love my gen2 Paperwhite. Probably my favourite electronic purchase in a long time. Wife goes to bed early but I can read for a couple hours more without disturbing her.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

I must be the only one that wouldn't care about battery life. Make it cheaper and don't include a drat battery case. I can charge mine every few days without issue, I don't live in a rainforest.

But what about the impending apocalypse?!

That said... my wife is continually in a state of "my kindle is dead" any time she puts her Kindle 4 down. That thing's battery must last like 4 hours because if she's not on top of it, it's drained. If the new Kindle behaves the same way on battery, I'd be irritated.

My Paperwhite Gen2 gets about 3-3.5 weeks in airplane mode which seems to be a good timeframe for me. I only think to charge it about every other week.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone pick up the new Nook Glowlight Plus? I was just reading some comments and someone mentioned BN sold out and I took for myself and sure enough, they are.

I admit I didn’t realize they even made ereaders still... I thought Amazon and Kobo were the only serious makers at this point.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

im on the net me boys posted:

Amazon is really keen on me upgrading it seems. I just got an ad for 25% off a new Kindle, 3 months of Kindle Unlimited, and a gift card for trading in my current one on the lock screen.
I wonder how often they expect people to replace these. I used my Kindle 3 until it broke, and then bought a refurbished one because it was cheap and they no longer made them and used it until it was stolen, and I've had my present Paperwhite for well over 4 years now I think.

Ya - they gave me $100 in credit for my old Paperwhite and 40% if bought the new Oasis (just before the warm backlight).

I bit since I missed buttons and like the way they balance the Oasis. I wouldn’t have paid for it full price though. I’d have kept the Paperwhite till it broke.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

taqueso posted:

New Remarkable 2:

Thinner, faster, more battery, eraser built into the pencil (pro marker only i guess)

https://remarkable.com/

Anyone got a trip report on one of these or its previous version?

I’m casually nerd-interested in this thing but I suspect it won’t really make sense for me. I don’t really have a burning need for a tablet that converts handwritten notes into text for me.

I tend to write handwritten notes and *re-summarise* them when I type them in. There’s not really much benefit in auto-translate as it ends up adding in more overhead to the process. I tried taking notes on my iPad with the pencil for a while but it just didn’t jive.

Maybe that’s all just a long way of saying “neat, but I don’t want it.”

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LionArcher posted:

Any rumors on a new oasis, because I’m kind of tempted to get one, but I’m waiting for one that has USB-C.

I mean isn’t the Oasis warm backlight model only a few months old at this point? I wouldn’t expect anything until shortly before holiday buying season maybe?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I bought a 2018 Kindle Oasis last July during the fire sale leading up to the new warm light version and the battery life is absolutely atrocious already. Unplugged it last night, read for two hours, was down to 87%.

Coming from a Voyage that had a great battery life it's disappointing.

That seems notably bad. I have a 2018 Oasis that’s older than yours (~8 months before fire sale) and a couple hours reading is probably maybe a 6-7% drain?

So we’re level setting: WiFi is off and my backlight is usually at about 4-5 bars.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I keep the wifi on, should probably turn that off when I'm not using it. Otherwise the same, I usually read in a pretty dim room before bed.

Ah ya - the WiFi is killer for battery life. I haven’t turned the WiFi on consistently for a Kindle ever because I noticed how much impact it has on battery life.

That definitely explains the almost 20% drop.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I switched from a 2nd gen Oasis to the USB-C Paperwhite about 2 months ago.

It’s had a dramatic change in how much I read on the Kindle. I didn’t realize how much I hated holding the Oasis.

My partner has the 1st gen oasis and it was a lot more comfortable hold. She’s also hell bent on holding on to that one till it no longer turns on.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I have the latest PW but not the fancy wireless charging variant.

I have no battery issues with it. I can read for about 2 hours and use maybe 5% of battery?

Edit: I never have Wi-Fi on. I only turn it on if I bought a book, got one from the library, or want to buy a book. Otherwise it stays off.

rufius fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

A lot of readers do in fact have surprisingly terrible idle battery life because nobody really bothers to optimize them.

Especially because users were taught long ago to turn off Wi-Fi to preserve battery. Now it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Why invest in battery improvements if users already assume the correct action is to turn off Wi-Fi which is always the biggest drain on battery?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

....not sure that follows? There's loads of idle battery usage that isn't to do with Wi-Fi.

Every kindle I’ve owned sipped battery with Wi-Fi off. That’s purely anecdotal, but the heaviest user of battery is Wi-Fi in my experience.

But I also don’t think much about any of this in practice. I charge my kindle every couple of weeks. I probably read it… 2-3 hours a day?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I bought the new signature paperwhite to replace my older model one and haven’t opened it yet so what’s the process of everything I own getting transferred? Is it as simple as logging into my Amazon account and it just does it all? To add a wrinkle, some of the books were purchased via Amazon.co.uk using a fake address in England and setting the account temporarily to it so will those download or is that kind of screwed?

When it comes, it’ll already be signed into your account. Your UK stuff is probably boned unless you redo the tricks.

It won’t have any content on it by default so you’ll have to prompt it to download stuff.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Physical page turn buttons are fantastic

This.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

inferis posted:

I went voyage > oasis > cheapest kindle, and I thought I would miss buttons more but the weight and shape makes it so much more pleasant to use than the oasis

:words:

Honestly, same. I have a paperwhite and I find its touch controls fine for my purposes.

I don’t begrudge button wanters - I was one for a long time. I just happened to get a screaming deal on a trade in of my old oasis for the paperwhire.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Bunk Rogers posted:

All these years and Amazon has left all my devices in peace.

Same same

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Looks like the Kobos are the clear winner here with the ability to get the books directly and not have to gently caress around with sideloading, no?

Kindle doesn’t need side loading either with library books.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Not side loading but you have to use Amazon to send the books to the kindle. You can’t just download them from the library directly to the kindle.

Zero One posted:

I provided Libby with my Amazon account once and now it just works automatically. I borrow a book and it shows up on my Kindle instantly.

Ya - this is what I was talking about. Once you link it, you just “check out” stuff on Libby and it gets sent to the kindle. Connect to WiFi and it shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Devorum posted:

It's getting time to replace my 2019 Oasis. Battery was never great, but now I have to charge it every 3 days or so even on airplane mode. Lasts less than 24 hours on WiFi.

I've seen the Libra 2 recommend a lot...but I'm pretty deep in the Amazon ecosystem, unfortunately. How hard is it to deDRM these days?

What other recommendations are there? The Boox devices? The Paperwhite looks great, but I'll miss the physical buttons. No interest in another Oasis.

FWIW I went Paperwhite -> Oasis -> Paperwhite. I don’t miss the buttons and I was heavily in the “must have buttons” camp.

No experience outside the Amazon ecosystem.