Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Seizure Robot posted:

I'm going to take the plunge and get a reader so I tested out a few display models and decided I definitely want e-ink and that the non-color Nook's interface and colour touch-pad thing are not for me.

It seems the only big things the Kindle has over the Sony Readers right now are price and wireless, is that about right?

I'm never going to be surfing the web on a black and white reader when I have my phone/computer and I have no problem dumping new books on when I plug in to charge instead of being able to buy them on the fly (mainly because I already have a long to-read list and have purchases planned in advance anyways.) I also really like that the Sony has a touchscreen and expandable memory because the Kindle dpad seemed like a clunky way to navigate and while I doubt I'd fill the internal memory on books alone having the slot would let me throw a memory stick with some music in as well.

Anything else I should be taking into account? I'm just paranoid I'm going to get the thing and a few weeks later figure out why the Kindle sells so much more.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I only owned the last generation Sony touch.

By all accounts the reading experience on the Kindle is leagues ahead of the sony, I really didn't like how the resistive layer on the Sony messed up the contrast on the screen. I've heard it's a lot better now, but I couldn't stand the glare and darkening effect the touch added.

That being said, every thing you outlined is a good point to make against the kindle. I guess if you are looking for a device that "just sort of works" out of the box, and provides the best possible experience for your eyes, then go Amazon. But if you need a multi-function device that allows for annotation, Sony all the way. Though if Annotation is a big deal, please take a looksie at the Entourage Pocket Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

To pile on some further goodness, I also remember the device as being very, very snappy.

I'm glad to hear they fixed the problems of the old resistives, at the time I thought that device really had potential. Also, there may be chances to snag them for fairly cheap if Borders ends up launching a firesale.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Whee, finally got around to rooting my Nook classic. Take that, color rooters! Are there any essential apps? I haven't gotten around to doing much besides getting used to the awesome nookLibrary (hell yeah, combined B+N books and my documents, folder and tag browsing, and cover flow for all books!) and this reader hack. Haven't been able to get the custom font changes working, mostly using it for the ability to full-screen the text so it hides the upper status bar and the bottom page count.

Welcome to the wonderful world a rooted hunk of white plastic!

If you like to have an RSS feed in your bag, Trook is a great little app that's been around long enough to mature and become truly awesome.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

boo_radley posted:

"based on your last Nookbook purchases, Barnes and Nobles recommends... (the list of books I just bought)" :buddy:

So I should buy the same things a second time? How can bn suck so badly at this?

My issue with them is...

"Based on your last nookBook purchases of SciFi and textbooks, Barnes and Noble recommends... lots of gay erotic novels"

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

maxnmona posted:

As someone who has self-published a book and made a profit on it, I can say with some certainty that you don't need a huge publishing company to make a high-quality product and make a little money.

It did take me almost a year of constant work, but that's the trade off:

The direct artist-consumer relationship is better for both artists and consumers, but it does mean that the artist has to do a lot more work. And I'm ok with that.

This makes me happier than it really should. It saddens me how badly the middle-men rape the artist these days.

And just to add on to the profits question, have you had to do anything to advertise? Or does the recommendation service perform well enough?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Since we're on the subject of covers...Does a goon have any experience with the Oberon Design nook Color cover? We seem to like the kindle and original nook products, but I'm not sure about the NC version.

If you don't know what I'm blabbing about, this is their site: http://www.oberondesign.com/

Edit: Jesus I worded that poorly.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 10, 2011

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

fishmech posted:

Holy crap that's good.

That definitely cleared up my lack of understanding on the subject.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

I've discovered a funny side effect of using my Nook all the time. Now when I read paper books, I keep glancing up at the top corner of the page trying to find out what time it is.

I went for a week trying to find the menu button on my analog books.

Something has to be done about this.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, everyone I've shown my nook to kept trying to use the e-ink screen to navigate even after showing them how to use the LCD screen. Personally I just like the form factor of not having any buttons or the nook classic lcd. Waiting to see tomorrow's B+N announcement to see which reader I'm going to replace my nook with.

Absolutely same boat as you.

Chances are the "new" nook will be have same-ish hardware and a new, pearlish screen. If the new device is utterly revolutionary, I'll be all over that. If not: Hello Kindleverse.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

The new nook definitely looks like a neat device. I'm just keenly interested to see what the review sites end up saying. As a "nook classic" owner, I'm intrigued by this kind of thing seeing as I'm in the market for a new device.

If this is a neat thing, awesome, new nook. If not, awesome, abandon the BN ecosystem for Amazon.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Quantify! posted:

It's just the magic elves chattering to each other about how to display the page, nothing to worry about.

It's elf-powered? That explains the "staggering" battery life of the new nook I just ordered to replace my first gen. model.

I'm actually pretty excited to get my hands on the device, after messing around with a demo model in a BN store.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll see an ad banner whenever you're not reading. It's not a big deal and they send you some decent offers. Just recently there's one where you can get a $20 Amazon gift card for $10.

This needs to be echoed.

I won't say it's a better experience than the vanilla model, but there is some good stuff to be found.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

The DX was awesome. Only got rid of mine because most of the PDFs I read on it were papers and textbooks that I liked to flip back and forth through, and it's just much more pleasant doing that on a tablet or with real paper.

This was basically my experience with it. It is a really neat device, but it would be much neater at a much lower price.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Inverse square posted:

Yo, I have a question which concerns my rather obscure "cool-er" ereader. It's kinda a general hardware question though, so would welcome answers from non-cool-er owners.

The cool-er spec page says the SD slot is "up to 4GB". Is it possible that that's just out of date and I'd be fine getting a 16/32GB SD card? If not, could I at least access 4GB of storage from a 32GB card, or do I have to buy a 4GB one?

I'm curious what your motivation might by in looking at this guy over a Kindle, Kobo, or (god forbid) nook. From their website, the price does not seem to be a huge motivator.

(For what it's worth, I've been super happy with the various nooks I've had over the years)

I'm not criticizing your choice here, I'm merely curious.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This may seem very minor, but I wish they would bring back some of the original more in store features. I miss walking into a store and getting my free coffee and feeling like I have a reason to actually buy in store.

My wet dream is that they will release a new unit with physical page turn buttons, their killer feature, an audio port, and a little page that entitles me to free cookies.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Despite the original nook having it's own horrifying set of problems, I feel that in some ways B&N has been going downhill since it. While the simpletouch was much better user experience than the original, it lacked some in-store features and an audiojack(which I sort of liked having, unironically).

This new device seems to follow the same pattern, an arguably better user experience at the cost of important hardware being missing, which is the SD slot and physical turn buttons in this case.

Basically, I'm not sure that they could have made this a more disappointing device if they tried.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Wait you guys don't put your kindle inside a condom?

Some of us don't buy magnum xxxxl durtrojans.

You know, because girls are gross and goons are _____.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I wasn't expecting to ever see this happen again.

http://goodereader.com/blog/e-reader/barnes-and-noble-has-two-new-nook-e-readers

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Good-e-reader (or however that guy stylizes it these days) has always struck me as being terrible. Lots of passing off rumor as ~inside information~ and jumping to insane conclusions.

Here's one: http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/the-amazon-kindle-voyage-is-a-flop

"More expensive model aimed at upper-end market sells fewer units than entry level unit. Luxury unit flop please buy my crowd thing thanks!"

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If they added physical page turn buttons (I know, but I still like them), I would possibly consider buying this after it releases at a competitive price and gets a year of updates.

So, yeah, I'm never going to get what I want.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I was a long time Nook user and swapped to an Oasis in 2017. Converting from ePUB has been zero hassle. Even if it was, being able to email stuff directly to the device from Calibre has been lifechanging.

My generation doesn't have the color temperature adjustment. Has anybody observed any significant benefits from switching to a model with warmth adjustment? If it's major, I might try to trade up.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'll probably investigate a trade-in if it's going to be next to no money, then.

I feel like a dummy for staying with B&N as long as I did. I guess I just didn't want to give myself to Amazon and any potential big brother stuff. The featureset is killer, especially if you're lazy.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

I love the Oasis but my battery is awful. Bought it brand-new, and going from a Kindle Keyboard (!) to Oasis I was shocked. Airplane mode is a must unless I want to charge it every couple of days. In Airplane mode it lasts quite a bit longer.

Was thinking mine is defective, but I see a lot of reviews noting the same thing so I think maybe my expectations were too high.

Just piling on to say this has been my experience too. Mine is a few years old and the difference between having airplane mode on and off is something like a day or two vs. a couple of weeks of battery life. It's still an absolute joy to use, and if you're disciplined about airplane mode you might not be too irritated.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Wibla posted:

This has been an issue for as long as the Kindle has had wifi, though. Amazon just gives no fucks.

Amazon devices purportedly report home a lot with stuff like reader metrics. I don't know if that's the issue but in this big data hellworld I choose to believe it's at least related.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My guess is that they're closer to the supply chain than Amazon/Kobo and that it's just simply cheaper to use the newer connector.

Amazon/Kobo might be after some kind of continuity, or something.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

While we're due for a new Oasis, I don't think there's been a peep about it from Amazon.

It seems like the new paperwhites are sort of creeping into its territory, though.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Forma, Sage and Elipsa have Dropbox. Not sure on the Libra 1 or 2.

The Libra 2 doesn't come out of the box with Dropbox enabled, but adding/unlocking it is pretty trivial with NickelMenu

Having Dropbox built into my Libra 2 definitely made fleeing the kindleverse much easier.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Hmm. Anyone in here ever tried an Onyx Boox Leaf 2? Looks like it has:

USB-C
Page turn buttons
Micro SD card expansion
300ppi 7” E Ink Carta Plus screen

And it runs Android 11 so I could read Kindle books using the Kindle app if I wanted to, or just hook up Libby or any other reading app if I didn’t want to use the native functionality.

This thing looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for. Not sure how well battery life would be but everything else sounds great. It’s 199.99 so it’s cheaper than an Oasis.

This was a close runner up to my Kobo Libra 2 when I was fleeing the Kindleverse last year. I don't have any firsthand experience but I've heard pretty much nothing but praise from internet acquaintances who have Onyx devices. Battery life is supposedly a few weeks, which is oodles more than my Oasis had :V

I'm very curious about how well the Hoopla app works on these. My library system has, maybe, 100 titles available in ebook form, but Hoopla has everything, including stuff that I can't find in a digital format anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I switched from an Oasis (9th gen, I think? It was circa 2017/2018.) to a Kobo Libra 2 a while back and I haven't had any regrets. It's nicer to hold for long periods than the Oasis because it's a little lighter and doesn't have The Lump(tm). Battery life is much, much better as well.

Turning my Kindle purchases into un-DRM'd epubs wasn't a horrible ordeal with Calibre, but it's worth considering how invested you are in the Kindle ecosystem, purely from an effort-expended perspective.

My Libra 2 didn't come with Dropbox support out of the box, but getting it was very easy. Emailing books to my Kindle was neat, but having all of them available directly on the box via Dropbox is way neater. Both Pocket and OverDrive are integrated with Kobo's interface, so you can natively borrow from your local library or send articles/shorts from a browser to the Good Screen.

Also: USB-C