Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

madprocess posted:

The publishers are going to have to suck it up just like the music industry did and sell for cheaper than they "like" because that's where the market is. Devaluing books is code for WAH IM A BIG BABY IN A THREE PIECE SUIT AND ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THAN A VCR SCARES ME.
They need to suck it up and think about how much money used book stores and chains are making off of used books (not to mention the used markets on Amazon and eBay). The publishers get nothing out of used book sales and they need to stop and think about that fact when it comes to pricing and look at what they can do price-wise on the older books, or books that have been out for six months or a year.

It gets even more interesting when you look at the top sellers since so many get bought and then sold on the used market for incredibly cheap prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Asus is putting out a 9-inch ebook reader.

quote:

According to the Taiwanese company, the new e-reader is highly portable and has a long battery life. It is less than 10mm thick and weighs just 440g. Its 2GB of internal storage (expandable via SD Card) can store up to 5000 ebooks and the two-week battery life is long enough to read 20 novels back-to-back between recharges.

It's called the Eee Reader DR900, it's using SiPix as it's technology, and it's got a capacitive touch screen. Have not looked up price, but I would imagine it's pricey with a touchscreen that size.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

withak posted:

There was an interview with Jeff Bezos a while back where he said that they consider the Kindle device and the ebooks themselves to be completely separate markets. They want to sell you hardware if they can but they are also happy to sell you books to read on someone else's hardware.
Yeah, it's a similar view to Amazon willing to allow third parties to sell through Amazon.com, up to and including the "fulfillment" stuff where the third parties are storing their inventory in Amazon.com warehouses.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

And I just saw something about Borders buying out B&N, with specific mention of the eBook stuff :psyduck:

This mentions the buy out, but not necessarily eBook stuff (just mentions Kindle)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-06/borders-holder-pershing-square-offers-to-finance-barnes-noble-takeover.html

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

The Aphasian posted:

I understand the reasoning behind DRM (although I believe you should always make it easier for people to buy and use things legally than just pirate), but a limited number of digital copies at a publicly funded library never made sense to me.
Libraries have to purchase individual copies of physical books, and the publishers aren't just going to let them buy one copy of a ebook and distribute to as many people as they want. Library sales aren't as big as Amazon or B&N, but they are still sales, and publishers are still going to get money from them.