Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was thinking about how much time I spend reading Reddit posts by dumb people and how long it had been since I had read an actual book, then the Paperwhite went on sale a couple weeks back.

drat I love this thing and haven’t put it down since I got it. Suddenly I’m looking forward to reading in every minute of downtime and my phone battery is lasting twice as long.

Now my wife wants one too and I’m trying to decide between another Paperwhite, or maybe getting a refurb Voyage because the pageturn buttons and glass screen sound nice. Any comments?

I didn’t pay any attention to e-ink devices till just now and I don’t want her to think I just got her the lovely discontinued thing. It definitely seems like there are fewer accessories for the Voyage at this point, and I know she likes my Amazon fabric case on the PW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ItBreathes posted:

Is there any way to spoof registration on an offline Paperwhite 3? I'd like to be able to organize my books but I'd rather not have ads on it.

I found a thread from several years ago for doing it, but it was for an older version of Kindle.

Start a chat with Amazon customer service and say, “The Special Offers on my kindle bother me. Can you remove them?” and they’ll do it for free.

If the CSR asks for money, try again tomorrow, but I just did it. The rep asked for the serial number and it was done.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 6, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can I prevent my Paperwhite from updating after I take it out of airplane mode? It's all configured and jailbroke and perfect, but it says my deadname in the corner and I'm not really into that. The only way to fix it is to connect it to the internet, however.

E: I'm on fw 5.4.3.2 if that makes a difference

The Mobileread forum is the place to get good info on this, but I would install the “JB Hotfix” to preserve your jailbreak, then install KUAL Helper and check “prevent OTA updates” and “Gray update kindle.”

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320564

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Malloc Voidstar posted:

as long as calibre is converting to AZW3 (not mobi) the only thing you should notice for most books is the lack of automatic hyphenation of words at line breaks
There's a KFX (Amazon's new format) output plugin that does that but it's very finicky and will completely reject epubs with any unsupported features

There's a Calibre tab called "Polish Books" that will add soft hyphens to AZW3. Is that what you're after?