Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
^ Don't be envious of the library thing. We have a nook as well since my wife wanted one (of course now she steals my Kindle) and library ebooks are always a hassle. I don't enjoy waiting 3 weeks to get a book some rear end in a top hat has been hogging at the real library, having to do the same for digital is just maddening.

pienipple posted:

I know posting how to strip DRM from your books is verboten, what are the mods' position on instructions for hacking the readers? If it's cool I'd be glad to write up a bit about jailbreaking the Kindle and what you can do with it once it's jailbroken (alternate OSes, epub support, superior comic reader apps, etc).

There's going to be a lot more cool poo poo coming out soon because the Kindle SDK is available in limited beta, as the tools and content leak out the homebrew developers are coming up with easier and better hacks and apps for it.

You forgot to mention that jailbreaking the Kindle kills the 3G connection if present, reduces battery life, usually makes the fonts worse, causes stability issues and can make it impossible to read purchased Amazon books.

The only useful things are EPUB and the comic thing but both can be solved by using software like Calibre to do conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Plinkey posted:

This isn't quite right.

Daily Edition has web browser, and what do you mean by cross platform sync?

Sony has no ability to use your books and keep your place across ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android devices, blackberry, windows phone, PC, OS X and their own reader, unlike Amazon.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

pienipple posted:

None of that is true, I have no idea where you're getting that from.

You can gently caress poo poo up with the USB Networking hack if you screw around without knowing what you're doing. The basic jailbreak just utilizes an exploit to insert a known developer key into the Kindle's list of safe keys. Once that's done you can install unapproved software signed with the known key.

Sorry, I should have qualified that with the fact that its the "alternate OSes" that do that.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Skeezy posted:

How's the Nook nowadays compared to the Kindle? I'm in the market for a eReader eventually.

Both models are $10 more than the equivalent Kindle models. The Kindle has a better store, better e-ink screen and battery life, but the nook has that color lcd control thing at the bottom if you're into that.

Honestly go to any Best Buy, they have nooks and Kindles set up next to each other these days.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure I would necessarily say the Kindle's store is better. They are pretty much equal at this point as far as title availability for the stuff I've looked at.

Don't forget, you can use Sony's store and Borders store on the Nook as well, you just have to sideload them.

That said, the Kindle is the superior hardware right now and is cheaper so if I were buying this moment I would probably buy the Kindle. But I don't regret my nook in any way and don't really feel the need to upgrade it.

I would discount the Sony and Borders stores entirely - they are inferior to the Kindle and nook stores in availability of titles, cheapness of titles, and ease of use. In my view the Kindle store advantage over the nook is not just that your books are accessible in more places after purchase (I'm sure the "Nook Color" will be rooted soon so you can install the Kindle android app on it, for example), but the books are usually a bit lower in price than on the nook store thanks to Amazon having cash to burn subsidizing certain popular books, and they do have more titles in the periodicals as well.

As to the hardware, yeah, the Kindles are superior and it unfortunately doesn't seem like B&N plans to add the new e-ink screen used in the Kindle and some Sony devices to the nooks before the middle of next year. :/

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The kindle locks you into one store, the sony and nook, and kobo give you access to 3 stores.

This is false. You can use most MobiPocket stores once you find Kindle device ID, even directly on the browser. You can also buy from any Mobipocket store for a device ID associated with a reader application on a computer and then swap out the DRM to work on the Kindle with no format conversion.

bull3964 posted:

What places are your books accessible for Kindle that they aren't for B&N?

B&N already has an app for Android, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PC, and Mac. About the only thing B&N is missing right now is a WP7 app, but I'm sure that's on the way.

You said it yourself, Windows Phone 7. There's even a beta of a Kindle-in-the-browser service coming out soon that will let you use about anything with a browser, which could include a PS3, PSP, Linux, etc.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Le Sean posted:

As far as delivered content goes, is it worth it? Several user reviews for delivered magazines or newspapers for Amazon for instance insist that you get limited versions of the papers and that it's not even worth the money.

All Kindle newspapers and magazines strip wire service stories, i.e. stuff that's only in the physical paper because the physical paper got them form the AP, Reuters etc. So you do end up with the Kindle version having less content, but, that content is available free on 50,000 free news sites as soon as it hits the wire.

What you get on the Kindle is the stuff actually written by the newspaper or magazine's staff and contributors, not the wire stories that show up verbatim in that paper and every other paper nationwide.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kakesu posted:

The right side of my Kindle 2 has started making an extra click sound whenever I press a button on that side of the unit. It sounds like there's something that's come loose inside that reconnects briefly every time I apply pressure, and then audibly disconnects when I let go. Has anyone heard of this before? I'm thinking of giving Amazon a call and asking them, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had experienced this first.

Just call Amazon up and tell them what's going on. They'll often replace your Kindle for free for the most minor of things.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Avian Pneumonia posted:

One thing that has surprised me about e-readers so far is that people actually seem to be buying the media. It seems that aside from a few computer books, bestsellers, and self-help nonsense, that torrents and illegal downloading of e-books hasn't really taken off.

Though I suppose this also has to do with drm and the fact that there are so many filetypes flying around right now.

There's a ton of piracy but the book publishers don't have an RIAA or MPAA and a ton of cash to throw around filing frivolous lawsuits and mass market ad campaigns to cry about it, basically.

Plinkey posted:

This isn't exactly true, you can still find most any book :filez:. I think it has more to do with that fact that the infrastructure (eReaders) was in place before the files started showing up. This is basically how the music industry would have been in 2000ish if iTunes store and the first iPod came out at exactly the same time, and before people were used to getting mp3s for fee.

It's now the normal way to get books through your eReader's software, so they don't think twice about it...that's just how it works to everyone. It's also a lot harder to find book because we don't have something like Napster for ebooks.

The eBook industry started in the late 90s with books for the Newton, and Palm Pilot. There have been ebook pirate rings since then and frankly with as small as the files are compared to a song or movie, they were very easy to distribute.

It's just that it took until 2007 when the Kindle and Sony eink readers came out to get people actually excited about ebooks.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

kuddles posted:

If people buy a book using the interface on the 3G Kindle, will you be charged a download fee on top of it? I only own the Wifi one and my father wants me to buy one for my Mom for Christmas. I'ld rather make it as easy as possible to buy things since she's not very technically inclined so not teaching her how to download a book on her computer would be a freaking godsend.

If you are in Canada, Japan, the US, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, Australia or South Korea (and probably some more I'm forgetting) - no.

If you are outside all of those countries - maybe.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Suntory BOSS posted:

I just asked my mom for a Kindle for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi... am I going to have to mooch off my neighbor's network whenever I want to download a book, or can I just plug the Kindle into my laptop and download directly through USB?

You can do either if you want. Personally, I think you should ask your mom for a 3g Kindle so you won't have to worry!

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Atasi posted:

It's not bullshit, the paperback is lower because of the economic realities of the current publishing industry right now, unfortunately it means eBooks don't fit in very well.

That's just stupid. Most publishers don't do that bullshit (and it is bullshit).

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Atasi posted:

Well it's either that or a sliding scale on eBooks to keep the price in parity with the current lowest priced physical copy, in which case people will complain about getting ripped off when they bought it x months ago.

Uh, tons of books on Kindle store, especially ones where the physical book has been out for over 5 years, are below the price of a new paperback (usually between $4 and $7 with paperbacks available for $6-$9). And the complaining about prices dropping thing is dumb. You're saying ebooks should never get cheaper because some people might get mad? Are you high? If you buy any piece of media new now, you'll pay more than it will cost in 5 years in the bargain bin, that's just how it works.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There's also actually no logical reason an ebook needs to be more expensive than a physical book, ever.

If publishers really "need" to have a strict pricing hiearchy, there's no reason it can't be, in order of expensive to cheap, hardback > paperback > ebook.

Since it's all fluid, you can sell the hardback for say $30 new and charge $9-$11 for the ebook. Later you release the paperback for around $9-$11 and leave the ebook as is, then as time progresses you drop the ebook to $4 or $5. Maybe you even do it when the paperback comes out right away.

Mathlete posted:

Yeah, that's the most surprising thing to come out of the rise in popularity of ebooks. I never would have guessed that the equivalent digital copy of a book could somehow be worth more than a new printed copy.

That's completely unintuitive from the consumer's point of view. If it makes sense at all, it must make sense only from the publisher's perspective.

Even if publishers do have a calculated business reason for making ebooks more expensive, their decisions look arbitrary and their practices seem like price gouging to the general public.

The thing is, most publishers aren't even pulling this BS. I think almost all of them have even stopped pulling the "wait a month for the ebook release after hardcover" scam. If you look on the major stores, most ebooks where the physical book is only hardback are in the $9 to $12 range, and if you go up to $15 its nearly all. Ones where the paperback is out are mostly $4-$7.

And frankly the publishers not pulling the bullshit get more money in sales.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Atasi posted:

Yes there are a lot of books out now that are being sold for less that the publishers would like, but that's due more to Amazon's pressure on pricing than publishing houses trying to make eBooks popular; hence all the talking about devaluing books.

No, I'm saying that the people most likely to buy eBooks are also the people who do complain about the price of digital goods and want them to be free, or nearly free. They're the people who go "$9.99!? But there's no paper, it should be .99"

Quit being obtuse. The publishers are going to have to suck it up just like the music industry did and sell for cheaper than they "like" because that's where the market is. Devaluing books is code for WAH IM A BIG BABY IN A THREE PIECE SUIT AND ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THAN A VCR SCARES ME.

No, those people are just going to pirate the books instead because they know they won't be 99 cents any time soon. Welcome to the world of electronic media, where you're competing with free stuff, not just other sellers!

cybrancyborg posted:

I'm looking for something roughly pocket size, that can read PDFs decently. I'm not going to be looking at full color photos and not many charts, mostly text. PDFs themselves are mostly text based, as for scans, I guess least-worst is all I can ask for based on response to the last person who asked about that. 3G isn't a concern, I'm mostly reading stuff from feedbooks/guttenberg/etc. Audio would be nice, but not necessary, Web browser and video playback not needed. Hoping to stay under $150. Been looking at stuff like the Sony pocket, but don't know how they all compare.

Ain't such a thing as a pocket size eink reader that handles PDF well period. And there really aren't any pocket size LCD devices that read PDF well and are under $150. PDF is a format meant for printing an exact copy, and it shows.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Atasi posted:

No, it's code for "The current content options are only brought to you courtesy of the money made in the "antiquated" system. If we do what the Google's of the world want and all the only books published will be collected twitter feeds, lolcats and Twilight fan fiction."

Except that's a scenario that only exists in the rantings of the babies-in-three-piece-suits, Einstein.

I remember when the record company babies were saying that cheap music downloads would devalue music and we'd never have anything good to listen to back in what 2002? 2003? It's something that simply won't happen, so stop acting like it is.

Also you're somehow saying if ebooks aren't stupidly expensive they'll be free? What sense does that loving make? If you keep the price HIGH you ENCOURAGE the pirates!

There's not even a need for a major change in the system either! Unlike Music where people could basically only buy albums but can now buy collections of random single tracks, you still sell a single Book to a single person!

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

tonelok posted:

They need to suck it up and think about how much money used book stores and chains are making off of used books (not to mention the used markets on Amazon and eBay). The publishers get nothing out of used book sales and they need to stop and think about that fact when it comes to pricing and look at what they can do price-wise on the older books, or books that have been out for six months or a year.

It gets even more interesting when you look at the top sellers since so many get bought and then sold on the used market for incredibly cheap prices.

Especially since you can see something like this, right there on the same page, and think to yourself "well hell gently caress giving the publisher money I'll just buy it used even cheaper if they want me to pay $15 for this old book":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

cash posted:

Guess I won't be getting the Kindle after all. :( The no PDF reflow is a big bummer for me. Looks like I have to scrounge for a batt replacement for my Sony reader.

Nothing has actual PDF reflow, you can't actually reflow PDF especially image-based ones.

You're far better served by using something that attempts to convert PDF into an actual ebook format rather than wasting money on a Sony reader just for a hacky reflow-esque feature.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Why do you think it will never happen? All amazon has to do is license it and they can add support. Amazon just doesn't want to do that because they would rather people buy books off of Amazon through wispernet than buy them in other places and side load them.

You can buy books from Mobipocket retailers over Amazon 3g direct to your Kindle in most cases as long as you find your correct DRM ID for your device. No sideload necessary.

Of course, Amazon owning Mobipocket means they get the money from providing the DRM in the first place.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Freeze posted:

Well it's like $40 difference, and I can't get the Nook (which is what I really wanted) anyways. On top of that, the Kindle's current estimated shipping date to Canada is in late January.

So will Calibre let me convert books I buy from anywhere to the Kindle format? And does it do good conversions? I was reading somewhere about how some ebook conversion programs just convert the book to a lovely PDF file that's annoying to read.

IF you have a guy in the US buy a Kindle for you and then ship it you could have a Kindle by next week. Yes calibre will convert just about anything but to be honest there's almost nothing that you'd only be able to find outside the Amazon store.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hotsauce posted:

I am so glad I left the restricted Kindle world (K1, K2, KDX, and K3 - had em all) for the nook and nook color.

Especially since google books is ePub. Amazon better pay attention - their little restricted garden will become dangerous as consumers learn their choices are locked.

The nook is great with the 1.5 update, and the NC is an awesome piece of rooted goodness.

What are you smoking? The Nook is just as restricted as the Kindle is. It can't even read mobipocket, an open standard.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Grawl posted:

Mobi is not an open standard. Or widely used.

Feel free to dream on though.

hotsauce posted:

I borrow local library books on my nooks. I buy Google books on my nooks. I buy other web ePubs on my nooks.

I wish you the best on a Kindle. The very best. That ecosystem is locked the eff down. NO thanks.

So you're both bad at reading or something? It's not "locked the gently caress down" because a single format doesn't work on it. And Mobipocket is an open standard that is part of the Open eBook Publication Structure. And if Mobipocket is so "not widely used" why does the most popular reader on the market use it, as well as most readers that aren't Sony and B&N? Hell I have Mobipocket purchased books from back on my Palm VIIx in 2000.

Again I say, if Amazon not supporting one format makes them locked down, the nook must be locked down because it doesn't support a different format. You can't argue with that in any logical way.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

benisntfunny posted:

Amazon does not support a format that EVERY other reader supports. In reverse Nook doesn't support mobi, okay, but nor do a lot of other readers. Not supporting the format the industry is attempting to standardize is going against the grain for personal interest.

It is not true that every other reader supports EPUB, sorry, only most. Incidentally most readers besides Sony and B&N support Mobi. And it's completely retarded for people to cry ☭卐LOCKDOWN FASCISM FROM HERR BEZOS卐☭ because the Kindle doesn't support EPUB currently.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

benisntfunny posted:

So other manufactures have conformed to a norm and amazon hasn't. It's like giving your device WMA compatibility only when everyone else is using Mp3.

How is it the norm when most of the market is using Kindle and Mobipocket? You're like that guy who's mad mp3 players play mp3s and not OGG Vorbis.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend's looking at getting a Nook. Missed some sales in the past few weeks coz she wasn't quick enough on the trigger. Know of any sales coming up soon? Is the 3G worth the extra $50?

If she isn't set on a nook, a Kindle 3 is $10 cheaper for both models.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Evil Vin posted:

So I'm looking at the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro, which is $100 on Newegg, anyone got any experience? It's either that or see if I can get a better ereader for around the same price on SA-Mart.

Don't buy. It's a black and white LCD screen, which also doesn't have a backlight, so it's constantly drawing power AND it can't be read in the dark, worst of both worlds right there.

Save up $40 extra for a Kindle or $50 extra for a nook, you'll be far happier than with any of the $100 ereaders.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Badass

The nook color is getting Android 2.2 and the Android Marketplace in January officially from Barnes and Noble.

That makes it even relevant to Kindle people since you'll be able to run the Kindle app on it.

This has instantly become the best Android tablet on the market. I wonder though how they are going to handle the lack of physical buttons.

With no 3g radio, and no physical or always-present virtual Android buttons, there is absolutely no way you're getting the official Android Marketplace on it. Google simply won't allow that although obviously if you hack it you can get the official Market. And I also really doubt it's going to be anywhere close to stock 2.2.

Take note that the sources the article links to mention things like "customized Market" "may not have access to all apps", etc, all indications it's not the real Market.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Well, in the source link it says that they might still limit some aspects of market access. It does appear as though it will not be some B&N market only though, it will be the actual android market.

It's all very vague though. Remember, the Nook Color is a tablet without any capability for audio input. Whey they say they may limit the market, it may simply be that they are excluding apps that require hardware that the nook color lacks. It's really hard to say at this point.

Still though, providing a full regular Froyo interface on it's own is huge. There will always be other ways to get apps on to the thing.

That's not the actual market then, though. And if they're limiting what's In there I'm pretty sure any apps like Kindle will be locked out.

I don't see any evidence that they'll provide the full regular Froyo interface, it seems far more likely it will be like MOTOBlur or HTC Sense or that Sony Xperia piece of poo poo on top of 2.2, not the stock 2.2 stuff.

Kazy posted:

I have a rooted NC with a hacked Market, and the current workaround is a SoftKey program that overlays software Back/Home/Menu keys when you press a symbol that's overlaid over all programs.

I doubt they'll do something like that for official though.

Yeah, Google won't allow that method if you want to be officially Google approved with access to all the Google applications including the Market and Gmail, etc.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Every Android device in existence doesn't have access to the full market though. Every phone carrier has the ability to (and frequently does) block apps. If full access to apps is the criteria for "actual market" then no device has the actual market. It will not likely have the market app that google distributes on phones, but indications from the source link are that there will be actual market apps available and not just B&N apps.

It was explicitly mentioned in the source article that it would provide access to the "typical Android homescreen" that could be toggled with the nook color interface. There was no mention of excessive skinning or anything else.

At any rate, there's not much point in arguing over it until the update comes out. It's pointless to talk in absolutes though when it comes to android as Google can, and frequently does, change the rules mid game.

Lots of tablet makers have custom markets that aren't the actual market, but include a lot of market apps.

The typical Android homescreen is also present in Sense and MotoBlur, though. That doesn't make them the actual unadulterated 2.2 experience. The fact that the nook color lacks the buttons alone means 2.2 without alterations would be pretty much unworkable, and I don't see why B&N would drop all of their UI design from the current release either.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

withak posted:

So would you say that you don't have access to the full market?

That would be a stupid thing to say, as the Verizon Exclusives are in addition to the actual market, not part of it.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

LooseChanj posted:

There's really no point in converting txt files though.

If you have text files that
are full of manual line breaks
like this.

Calibre will strip those out so that it flows naturally, so you don't get weird line breaks.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CrazyLittle posted:

well, poop. It's not terrible, but I see what you mean.

You may want to reconsider for just how much of the book it's vital for tables and images to be perfectly aligned like the PDF. I'd wager most of the time, the reflowed as a mobipocket format stuff will work ok.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CrazyLittle posted:

Well yeah. The thing is that I already own this book, dead tree edition with CD (and free PDF on disk). If I'm going to get an eReader I'd rather not have to REBUY that book and several others just to get the kindle-friendly version when I already have many of these books as PDFs/dead trees I paid for.

Thanks for all the advice - I'm probably going to wait for the iPad refresh before making any moves.

Calibre is free, will convert any PDF you have into Kindle or Epub formats, and allow you to preview the resulting conversion in a simulation of the target device screen as well as tweak the conversion as necessary. Give that a try and see hwo acceptable it is.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

MrPhaethon posted:

Other people have said things along the line of "breaking the DRM on ebooks is trivial," but I gotta say that you seem to be right. I have a Kindle and when I want to convert my AZW format books to MOBI (I want them all in MOBI) then it never works, nor have I found an easy workaround (just some thing that requires Python scripting or something?). I guess it's still a ways off.

FYI AZW is already MOBI, it just has the Amazon DRM on it.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
People have to realize that there are tons of romance novels published on paper all the time, like I think the industry puts out a few dozen of them every week.

It's no surprise there's tons on the Kindle.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, but my comment wasn't about the number of romance novels, it was about the number of free romance novels. That category completely dominates the free ebook section of the Kindle store.

Eh, it's better than last year when the free section was pretty much the contents of Gutenberg project and other public domain stuff. At least its original and was written less than 80 years ago, you know?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm pretty sure B&N just can't keep up production on the Nook Color right now, I doubt its really outselling the Kindle or whatever. Does noone remember how for the Kindle 1 and 2, both times at launch, if you didn't order within hours of release, you needed to wait weeks or even months to get them? Now Amazon actually has a big rear end production line available for their stuff, which apparently B&N doesn't.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GruntyThrst posted:

People who have owned a kindle for a while: is it worth it getting a screen protector? I've applied one but with such a large screen it is nigh impossible to remove all the bubbles and they are sort of distracting. If the screen is fairly durable and scratch resistant I might just remove it.

Well, I just keep mine in its case so I don't need a screen protector. I really only use screen protectors on things with touchscreens, personally.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GruntyThrst posted:

What case do you use?

I use the official lighted case. It's nice and sturdy, and the booklight in it is very useful for bedtime reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jigoku San posted:

Does anyone else's non-collected books move around the list after opening/closing when sorted by Collections?

I used Calibre to upload and Kindelabra to organize my hoard of non-amazon books if they could affect it.

Collections and normal sort are both sorted by the last time you read a book. This is so you don't have to hunt down the last book you read, it's just there on the front screen.

It's how Kindle has always worked.