Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The Oasis looks like a wonderful device, but pretty much only waterproofing it would have been enough to get me to upgrade from my 3rd gen 3g Keyboard.

Maybe next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I got in on the $20 Paperwhite, but they cancelled it this morning at 3AM. Shame, too. That price was finally good enough for me to consider upgrading from my 3G 3rd Gen Keyboard.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: Awww gently caress. To get the Oasis cellular version, you have to upgrade to 32GB for a cool $349. Goddammit. I really liked cellular syncing, but will most likely give it up rather than shell out an extra $100.

I lost cellular moving from my old Kindle Keyboard 3 to the Voyager two years ago, and I honestly haven't missed it. On the rare occasion I need the internet when I'm not at home, I just tether it to my phone.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Call Amazon customer service. If you're polite, I bet they'll refund the difference. Worst case, they'll give you some store credit.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I think I said it earlier, but Kindles and Kobos are some of the longest-lasting electronics I own. My usual pattern has been to use one extensively for four year, to the point where the battery is starting to show its age. Over the past 12 years, there's been enough technological progress that I feel okay upgrading every four years or so.

My original refurbed snowspeeder Kindle would still work decently enough if the battery hadn't started swelling back in 2013, but I upgraded for faster eInk refreshes.

As long as you have a decent history of small electronics surviving, I think it's okay to spend a little more to get a higher-end unit. A bigger screen, waterproofing, and flush glass screens are all very nice, in a device that will likely outlast your phone.

If your phone can't make it out of the first month with a cracked screen, then get a refurb basic Kindle.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Color eInk is really what I'm waiting for at this point too, but it's probably still a couple years off. Full-color is good, but not reasonable in terms of price yet. I have a Pebble Time with color eInk, but the screen is 1.25" square. It's lovely, but could be faster.

The year is still young, but without a significant upgrade, I'll probably break my Kindle upgrade habit (every 4ish years). Between the Voyager and a Kobo H20, I'm honestly covered.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I like my 7" Kobo for the slightly bigger screen and waterproofness, but I find my 6" Kindle more comfortable to both hold (while reading) and carry (in a hand or smaller bag).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, my real hope is that the Oasis (or a successor in a similar form-factor, with the bump) gets a color e-ink screen this summer/fall. I like my 2016 Voyage, but the form factor could be a tiny bit better for the buttons. I've just got a cheap vinyl magnetic flappy cover on it right now, and it's good enough.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I've got a ~5 year old Kobo 7" device (I think it's the Aura H2O) that I'm very happy with. My 6" Kindle Voyage from the same period is a tiny bit nicer in the hand, and the 6" size is more comfortable for longer reading sessions. I'd have no reservations about buying another Kobo in the future, when there's a real upgrade for me.

The next upgrade I'm targeting personally is color eInk. USB-C would be nice too, but not a deciding factor.

If a 10" screen makes sense for your/her use cases, you could do a lot worse than Kobo.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Kestral posted:

Hi eReader thread! My dad has asked about getting an eReader, as he's now at the age when he finds himself waking up at 3am and being completely unable to go back to sleep. His budget is pretty limited, max of around $70, and ideally something that works well for people with poor vision under low light conditions. This is a completely foreign area of gadgetry to me and I don't want to waste his money, so I was hoping to call on the thread's expertise:

Are there any specific models I should look at? I've seen some Paperwhites and Kobo Auras in that price range on eBay.

Any features I'm not thinking of that are worth considering for an elderly reader with iffy eyesight?

What's the preferred marketplace for these devices? eBay, or...?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Amazon will have a sale or the warehouse/scratch&dent/returns option that should meet the budget.

You didn't ask about it, but if the budget is that tight, you/he should be aware that most major library systems have ebooks for check-out, too. The app I'm most familiar with is Overdrive/Libby (same company, redesigned app), and they can send directly to an eReader. 24/7 access, no leaving the house, automatic returns, no fees. Check with your local library. The integration is a little janky because obviously Amazon wants to sell you books rather than checking them out, but it's there and it works well.

Come to think of it, your local library might have an eReader he can check out for a period to see if he likes it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Kobos are generally good, but the newest one I have is an Aura One, which is now 6 years old. I found I liked the smaller formfactors from the Kindle lineup. The Amazon/Kindle ecosystem is a little better/smoother, but that doesn't matter if you're trying to get away from Amazon.

The build quality is generally on-par with Kindle, and if/when a color eInk device comes out, I'll probably grab one from Kobo at least as a point of comparison.

ETA: Nevermind, the Clara HD clearly sucks since it still has Micro USB. The Libra 2 and the Sage are obviously better because they have USB-C.

No lie about now considering buying one of those just for that fact.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 26, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Obviously there are huge differences in the technology, but my Kindle keyboard would last weeks with Wifi on. I’m not even sure if my Oasis would last two days connected.

If I hadn’t given the keyboard away it would probably still be my daily reader.

I've still got mine, but the screen refresh is notably slower, and the battery is almost completely shot. Like, a few hours for a charge at this point.

My Oasis will get several days with wifi, but it's hitting a deep sleep that takes longer to wake up.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

If you're going from Old Kindle to New Kindle, WhisperSync handles all the bookmarks/completion/margin-notes with little/no issue. If your concern is redownloading the data, each book is on the area of 1-2 megs. I did a full archive of my Kindle books for de-DRMing, and ~200 comes out to 500MB. You can set New Kindle as the primary target on amazon.com and push whatever you want from your Digital Library. It's a little faster than the interface on the Kindle itself.

You can give Calibre a shot, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Amazon announces the Kindle DX2Scribe 10.2" eReader/Notepad.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I just got my Palma in, and I agree it's a very unusual form factor for longer sessions. I'll keep it around because it's weird and fun, but I doubt that it'll be taking the place of my Oasis in my normal bag.

If the goal is traveling as light/compact as possible, it makes a lot of sense. If you're already used to reading on the phone formfactor, the Palma is a huge upgrade. But to my eyes it's a pretty significant downgrade from my Oasis or Kobo Aura One.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I got my black Palma from Amazon, and I can confirm no case is included.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The sides are a flat metal, the back is a textured plastic, there's no real camera bump (why they even included one is anybody's guess), and the screen is a decentish glass. If it's going to live floating loose in a bag, I'd look for specific folio-style case or a modern iPod sock for it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Kobo is also partnering with iFixit for parts and guides for the new readers according to this help post:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/21137184146071-Repair-your-Kobo-eReader

Hell yes. I saw "repairability" get a subhead in one of the videos, but wasn't sure how far they were actually going to take it. Now they just have to deliver on it.

I'm split between the two. My Aura One's 7.8" screen is just a little too big for longer sessions. The 7" Libra may be perfect, but the Clara at 6" will be even more portable, and has better colors on the sleep-covers.

ETA: For those interested in the difference between the two devices:

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

It might make a difference with PDFs. I was testing my Aura (which also has a 1ghz CPU) to see how some TTRPG PDFs handled, and it was... not good. Not even functional. This could also be a limitation of the RAM, which nobody really talks about because it's an e-reader.

During day-to-day epub reading, it's not really going to make a noticeable difference.