Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

I have the Bookeen Cybook (e-ink) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's lightweight, has a good interface and supports quite a few formats.

I bought a Cybook Opus a year ago and I'm still satisfied with it too. Its 5" screen makes it smaller and thinner than a lot of the paperbacks I used to carry around in my jacket pocket. I like that the page turn buttons are placed perfectly for using the device with one hand and that when I push the power button, it instantly boots up to the last screen I was on.

While I don't have any intention of replacing it, I don't think I'd buy another one if it stopped working. The Kindle and Nook are a much better value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

Yeah, that's the most surprising thing to come out of the rise in popularity of ebooks. I never would have guessed that the equivalent digital copy of a book could somehow be worth more than a new printed copy.

That's completely unintuitive from the consumer's point of view. If it makes sense at all, it must make sense only from the publisher's perspective.

Even if publishers do have a calculated business reason for making ebooks more expensive, their decisions look arbitrary and their practices seem like price gouging to the general public.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

On a different note, it's great to see e-ink devices finally begin to approach the $100 mark and attract much larger audiences. It was about this time three years ago when the first kindles rolled out for about $400 each. Before that, most people had never even heard of e-ink.

The market for this technology has really grown over four years, yet it's easy to imagine that it might not ever have taken off if it launched a bit later when cell phones and tablets began to turn into multimedia platforms.

At this point, it seems like most people expect that color will be the next big step for eReaders. That probably will happen, but I think that flexibility and disposability will likely be the selling points for e-ink in the future.

Today, all commercial ereader models are a variation on a single design: there's a 5-10" screen surrounded by a bezel and mounted on a rigid board of plastic. Earlier models were just the same only more fragile because the e-ink film had to be backed on a sheet of glass instead of plastic. In the near future, I hope we'll see some vastly different designs that make use of rollable/foldable e-ink displays. It would be great to see a flexible device with the dimensions of a mailing envelope that unfolded three times to give you a display the size of an 8.5 x 11" document.

Some 5" eReader manufacturers (Sony, Bookeen) exaggerate to call their devices pocket-sized. A truly pocket-sized device would have to fold or spool a flexible screen into a compact roll. The Readius prototype gives some idea of what might be possible, but unfortunately it looks like rear end. Hopefully we'll see improvements on that concept. In time, maybe the screens could be flexible enough to allow scroll-like displays that are no larger than a marker when rolled up.

Until then, it is promising to see the prices of inflexible e-ink displays fall rapidly. A durable, low cost, low power reading device could have an enormous positive impact on a number of people around the world who lack access to educational resources. Where an internet connection is unavailable, unreliable, or unaffordable, these devices have the greatest potential to inform and educate.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal announces the imminent launch of a Google E-Book store called Google Editions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632602305759466.html?mod=djemalertTECH#articleTabs%3Darticle

highlights posted:

Google Editions hopes to upend the existing e-book market by offering an open, "read anywhere" model that is different from many competitors. Users will be able to buy books directly from Google or from multiple online retailers—including independent bookstores—and add them to an online library tied to a Google account. They will be able to access their Google accounts on most devices with a Web browser, including personal computers, smartphones and tablets.
Google says it is on a mission to reach all Internet users, not just those with tablets, through a program in which websites refer their users to Google Editions. For example, a surfing-related blog could recommend a surfing book, point readers to Google Editions to purchase it, and share revenue with Google. Through another program, booksellers could sell Google Editions e-books from their websites and share revenue with Google.

"Google is going to turn every Internet space that talks about a book into a place where you can buy that book," says Dominique Raccah, publisher and owner of Sourcebooks Inc., an independent publisher based in Naperville, Ill. "The Google model is going to drive a lot of sales. We think they could get 20% of the e-book market very fast."

I hope that there will be a way to download files of the books purchased from Google Editions to a device that can't connect to the internet. But even if the ebooks are confined to the cloud I think I would still use this service on my laptop over the Nook and Kindle software. This sounds very lucrative for Google and very convenient for readers who want access to hard-to-find books.

Mathlete fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 3, 2010