Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

hope and vaseline posted:

Wow. Page turns are literally twice as fast now. Customizable shelves and author sorting in my documents.

:)

Yeah, drat, I wasn't expecting them to be able to do much in software but with 1.5 my nook seems to turn pages just as fast as the Kindle 3 that I played with at Staples earlier today. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Aphasian posted:

Don't have to be good at photoshop; as a proof of concept I went to Wordle, pasted the complete text of The Yellow Wallpaper (it's in the public domain) and-- after resizing it slightly in XnView Portable--got this:

Or you could just search for typographic art.

Cool idea, I'm going to give that a try with some of my favorite passages. Thanks!

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Got my Paperwhite last night and I really like the improved screen resolution when compared to my Kindle 4. I expected to miss the physical "next/previous page" buttons but the touch interface doesn't bother me at all, and things like the brightness slider are surprisingly responsive.

Yes, the lighting bloom is noticeable at the bottom edge of the screen, but it doesn't really affect the reading experience (and I'm usually kind of picky about that sort of thing).

Is it possible to disable the light completely when it's not needed? I've tried turning the brightness all the way down and holding the '-' button but those both still seem to leave the light on, just barely.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

smackfu posted:

Isn't there another text list view like the old kindles had?

Yeah, if you go into the menu from the home screen you can switch to List view which shows your content and no suggested/advertised books. It's very similar to the list view on a Kindle 4.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

chippy posted:

They keep saying these things, as if you can turn the light off.

Yeah, that's strange and I hope a future firmware update turns the lowest brightness setting into a "light completely off" mode. I don't know how often I'd use it but it would be nice to at least have the option for comparisons sake.