Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Presto posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Chrysler is ashamed of this car. The first time I saw one was at the DC auto show this year. They had two of them on display, but instead of having them out in the middle making some kind of statement like, you know, "Check this out! We're going to be bringing out fun, cool small cars!", they had them shoved way in the back behind an endless sea of Bland.

If Chrysler was actually controlling the nuovo 500 import they'd have turned it into some sort of Aveo-style crapbox, Americanized with some tacky name under the Dodge brand, an oversized 'signature' grill.

The more Chrysler hates it, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
There's a Fiat dealer opening close to my parent's house and I'm now on the list to test drive a 500 whenever the first demo car comes in, which is "sometime in January". If I like it I have just enough money to pay for one in full.

They couldn't give me an idea on when you could actually buy one...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
How is the Kia Soul is the best selling subcompact in America? And how is that still 1/8 the volume of the F150?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
98hp from even the 1.4L is abysmal and it shows. Zero to sixty in ~11 seconds is actually some of the worst performance in the compact car segment, literally everything else outruns it. The Abarth might be more competitive, but it looks like they'll be charging Cooper S money for it. Why not just buy the Cooper?

If they had a +$3000 trim with the turbocharger things would be much different. But they forgot to read that part of the Mini playbook.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

toaster_pastry posted:

I'm totally over the whole going fast thing. I just want a light weight car that is fun to toss around while zipping through the city.

I live in NYC and I drive a C-class with the 3.0L. To me, the power is adequate, but I wouldn't drive anything slower. Part of that is due to driving like a jackass but extra power is still invaluable for navigating through heavy traffic.

In the long term I do want to replace it with a smaller car so I can actually park it without stressing myself, hence the interest in the Fiat, but that would only be if the Abarth was a lower-priced alternative to the Cooper S... which isn't the case. Also, the lack of an automatic isn't a deal-breaker, but driving stick around here is no fun.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Aveo isn't around anymore, it's been replaced with the Sonic, which is more expensive. That offers more torque then anything else, 0-60 in 8.8 seconds with the 1.4L turbo. It's a shame that it looks stupid as hell. Still an extremely good effort for something that'll most likely end up a rental most of the time.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So it's a total failure, production has slowed and it's already becoming a popular rental.

The Abarth is coming next summer, and in theory there will eventually be a '500T'. I doubt that'll do much to help sales at this point. I'm sure the 500 will stick around for a long time to come though, considering the PT Cruiser lasted 10 years...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's plenty to not like about the 500 but "when i touch the dashboard it feels cheap" is stupid as poo poo

You're right, it's just an appliance after all. Why did you pay ten dollars to post here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's face it - that "oh it's so cute" crowd subsidizes a lot of cars that wouldn't get made otherwise. There'd be no Mini Cooper S or JCW if they weren't selling the regular Cooper like mad, and the slim chance that the US will ever get a Fiesta ST / Mazdaspeed 2 would be zero if they can't sell any base models.

Just walking around here, every other Mini is a Cooper S, at least. I don't know what the actual sales statistics are though. One thing the Cooper S did right is offer the turbocharger paired to an automatic and a non-sport suspension, so if you want big car luxury/power in a subtle/compact package, the Mini is the way to go. Fiat could've done that, but instead they decided to do a Gucci edition and assumed that the extra appeal to the "oh it's so cute" crowd would make up for what they lost with the car people crowd.

• Locked thread