Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was looking forward to checking one out at the auto show. Holy disappointment, batman. It's comically tall for it's length and width, the proportions just seem strange. Driving position is very upright and elevated. And interior was chock full of lovely silver-painted plastic that bows, flexes, stains and scratches like it's an etch-o-sketch. At 17 grand, I can't imagine why in a world would anyone buy one over a Fit/Fiesta/Versa, except for the "gotta have it" factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Geoj posted:

To be fair, its beyond me why anyone (who knows anything about cars) would buy a new econobox. Wait a few years for the first ones that go out on lease to come back and buy one for less than $10k with less than 30k on the OD.
Japanese econoboxes command a premium on used market due to a number of factors, better explained in this thread. Buying a new car at near 0% interest is cheaper than paying high interest on a lightly used car that lost only a quarter of it's value. This is not about knowing cars, it's about managing finances.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Are you sure you were sitting in the right car? Because I've found none of this to be true.
I went right for it, there was only one.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 25, 2011

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay then you must have been sitting in a preproduction model or you're just misremembering. It's a great car on a great chassis that handles well and someday, someday, will come with this
Let me summarize it again: worse fit and finish quality than Fit/Mini/Fiesta, lovely fat tall seats and awful sitting position, high price that isn't justified by anything but the car's gimmick factor. Also, abnormal height for it's footprint.

It's a car that will be sold in limited numbers to people who stood in line to buy a $600 iPhone. Mini found a niche marked so hopefully this one will to. But comparing it to other cars in the price segment is just silly. Lets give it a year or two and see.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

toaster_pastry posted:

gently caress each and every one of you who says the interiors are cheap. They're really nice for a $15k car and if they were any nicer, the loving thing would weigh 3,000lbs. Consumers like you are why there are no good cars left. Everything has to be loaded down with comfort bullshit and BigGulp cupholders in order for your fat rear end to buy something. \
Go sit in Honda Fit and Mazda2 and get back to me about that interior. And when you're in the Fiat again, start pressing your thumb on random pieces of dashboard and watch is bend. They didn't even bother reinforcing the plastic skin, it's as thin and hollow as fisher price toys. I bet dollars to donuts that poo poo will start breaking and falling off that interior in record time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress goes around poking the dashboard on cars besides car mags

like i am sure my car has a wonderful soft touch reinforced teutonic masterpiece dashboard but it doesn't have any impact on me whatsoever, who cares?
I do. And guess what? I didn't buy it. Not because of the dashboard, but because it's an underwhelming car in more ways that one, when compared to direct competition. And according to the sales figures, other people didn't buy it either.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's plenty to not like about the 500 but "when i touch the dashboard it feels cheap" is stupid as poo poo
...because?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Because it's a $15000 car.
Oh, I see. Lets play a game and see how far we can get, when we replace "touch the dashboard" and "feels cheap" with other gripes people might have:

quote:

there's plenty to not like about the 500 but "when i touch the dashboard it feels cheap" is stupid as poo poo

When I shift through the gears, I get lovely feedback
When I bounce off the rev limiter, it's still balls slow
When I press the clutch, I get lovely feedback
When I adjust the seat, I still can't get comfortable

All from this thread so far. But hey, it's a $15,000 car. So everyone stop complaining and be happy with your Italian Cavalier.

Also, I've seen 38 mpg in a Fit as well and people in another thread reported even more. But we don't have real world numbers for Fiat so it's hard to compare. Wait, Fiat needs premium gas?!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 27, 2011

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

see to me all of those criticisms you invented are more valid. in operating your motor vehicle, you are required to

shift gears
accelerate to keep pace with traffic
push in the clutch to shift gears
sit in the seat

No one has to fondle the dash. If you're trying to cut costs, I'd rather have them cut costs in the dash materials than in any of the areas you listed. Evidently you don't agree?
Not invented, quoted from this thread. And yes, when comparing cars within the price segment, the argument might come down to things like dashboard, radio, gauge layout, or even the number of cup holders. That really depends on a consumer, who has their own unique priorities. To me personally, there is a car in that exact price segment that does everything much better, and so I bought it instead of the Fiat. Looks like other consumers have done the same, if you look at the sales figures.

When this thread started, people were eager to tout it as a better and cheaper Mini Cooper. But in reality, Fiat should be compared to Yaris, not Fit, Fiesta or Mazda2 and especially not Mini. Too bad it costs thousands more than the Yaris and probably not as good in the cost of ownership department or resale value.

Also, premium gas :rolleyes:

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 27, 2011

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Locator posted:

Why should it not be compared to a Fiesta?
I think the rest of your post answers that very question. Because you get less for the money with Fiat.

Edit: nevermind

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That one purdy looking car

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That two-tone paint looks great. Is that an option?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Doesn't the computer depend on that air going back into the intake to keep the air metering accurate?
It may have a speed density sensor, that is only measuring air past throttle body. If not, he'd probably notice the drop in fuel economy, smell of unburnt gasoline and loss of power. Although that doesn't stop half of DSM/240SX owners from doing it anyway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

If anyone has anymore options for pink wheels im all ears.
Any wheel can be made pink.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/rust-oleum-11-oz-specialty-fluorescent-pink-spray-paint-6-pack--182716.html

:colbert:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GramCracker posted:

There is a rear seat delete kit for the Abarth as well. I'm not sure if it is a universal kit between the Abarth and regular 500's, but I don't really see why the Abarth would have special rear seats not allowing the 500 rear seat delete kit to not work.
There could be extra chassis bracing that would require a different mold for the seat replacement panel.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are couple of Pop 2012 models on craigslist for ~$12,000 and less than 30k miles. Considering they cost 16k+ out of the door, the depreciation is on par with the rest of the segment.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Holdbrooks posted:

I know what you mean the novelty wears off after a while. But I will be keeping the Abarth for a while because it still awesome.

You have a pop right? I sold traded my 2012 base no options pop in on the abarth back in august and got 10,500 for it with over 23,000 miles on it and had a Carmax offer for the same amount. Might not be as bad as you think.
Losing a 3rd of it's value in a year is not bad?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What other issues have you had?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I know most turbo cars come from factory with somewhat loose hose clamps.
"Most turbo cars" sure as gently caress don't.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So, you linked a post, where a guy complains that his modified, 7-year old car with more than factory boost levels has a slight leak in turbo plumbing? Is that supposed to support the original statement of "most turbo cars" having lose hose clamps? Get the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This is bad news, as I'm considering the Chrysler badged ProMaster van. There is a suspicious number of used (6-12 month) ones available with a significant price drop. If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is

• Locked thread