Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Max Coveri posted:

I have a question regarding editing. (I've been editing for 9 years and a half and am still trash :v: ) I read somewhere that x264/5 is terrible for editing, and using 'editing codec' files (like Lagarith, which I'm aware of) is better. Does this mean the stress load on PC performance will be smaller if I use .avi files Lagarith? And is there a good and easy way to transcode said files to said codec without much hassle?

Yes, using codecs suited to your editing software is best and I'd avoid h264 and definitely not h265. What OS and editing software are you using and why do you want to use that codec over say prores or dnx out of interest?

There are several good and free options for transcoding, davinci resolve is the thread favourite (although people have reported issues opening h265).

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yes, using codecs suited to your editing software is best and I'd avoid h264 and definitely not h265. What OS and editing software are you using and why do you want to use that codec over say prores or dnx out of interest?

There are several good and free options for transcoding, davinci resolve is the thread favourite (although people have reported issues opening h265).

Windows 10, Magix Vegas 16 (rip Sony). I take it you're recommending these codecs out of personal experience?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Max Coveri posted:

Windows 10, Magix Vegas 16 (rip Sony). I take it you're recommending these codecs out of personal experience?

ProRes has been the standard editing on Macs (it's an Apple/Final Cut codec) and DNxHD on the PCs (it's an AVID codec) for years. With the latest Adobe CC update though, ProRes is finally (widespread and officially) on PCs.

But if you're not using Adobe's suite then just stick with DNxHD codecs.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

BonoMan posted:

ProRes has been the standard editing on Macs (it's an Apple/Final Cut codec) and DNxHD on the PCs (it's an AVID codec) for years. With the latest Adobe CC update though, ProRes is finally (widespread and officially) on PCs.

But if you're not using Adobe's suite then just stick with DNxHD codecs.

I see, thanks a lot for the advice. Hopefully this makes my work a bit easier.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah beat me to it, DNxHD and HR would be best on pc and you can export your masters the same nice and quick, then compress for youtube etc...

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t necessarily need to transcode if the footage plays back fine. Though I don’t know anything about how Vegas works specifically, with Premiere and Resolve I only transcode high bitrate h.265, like 400mbps or more, and otherwise just edit h.264 and h.265 natively. I used to have to transcode all h.265 to get it playing right, but recent updates to Premiere have made it work fine at lower bitrates.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Yes. Thank you. And I have the name of the effect that I was after. It’s called “slit scanning” and can have much cleaner results than shown in that video (probably because that app is a live filter effect).

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is really more of an audio question and maybe might be better for the audio hardware quick questions thread even? but it's about editing so I'm gonna ask here; please let me know if there's a better place to ask.

For example, this is a mounting/gear setup shakedown I ran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wHf68t7Ag

based on that video, your problem is just wind. as far as i can hear from that example, it doesn't matter what your gain is at because everything is blown out on the low end.

you need some sort of windscreen for your mics—you could try the little foam ones that come with lavaliers, but you're probably moving too fast for those to be effective, so you'd need a fur one. i usually use rycote stickies and overcovers when i'm micing people, but i don't know how well they'd work for your setup, so you might need something a little heftier. you could also build a little housing for the mic so that wind isn't hitting it directly, but depending on what you make it out of and how it's mounted, it may not be acoustically transparent.

if you're interested in salvaging the footage you already have, then toss a steep (≥24db/oct) low-cut filter on there around 200Hz and adjust to taste. it's going to sound thin, but the wind basically destroyed anything you had in the low end and you'd probably spend as much time trying to surgically remove it with a spectral filter as you would just reshooting.

hope that helps!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

CaptainViolence posted:

based on that video, your problem is just wind. as far as i can hear from that example, it doesn't matter what your gain is at because everything is blown out on the low end.

you need some sort of windscreen for your mics—you could try the little foam ones that come with lavaliers, but you're probably moving too fast for those to be effective, so you'd need a fur one. i usually use rycote stickies and overcovers when i'm micing people, but i don't know how well they'd work for your setup, so you might need something a little heftier. you could also build a little housing for the mic so that wind isn't hitting it directly, but depending on what you make it out of and how it's mounted, it may not be acoustically transparent.

if you're interested in salvaging the footage you already have, then toss a steep (≥24db/oct) low-cut filter on there around 200Hz and adjust to taste. it's going to sound thin, but the wind basically destroyed anything you had in the low end and you'd probably spend as much time trying to surgically remove it with a spectral filter as you would just reshooting.

hope that helps!

Awesome, thanks for this.

Should've specified, but this is actually *with* a dead cat on the mic. I was running two mics, an omni with a dead cat and a directional with just a foam filter, but as you can imagine the foam filter did drat little so the audio here is from the omni with the dead cat.

I did notice though that due to the speed at which I was going and the wind it was physically blowing the fur alllll the way back which I suspect also impacted its effectiveness and maybe if I got a bigger/more robust one it could help.

No need to salvage the footage here as it's just a run around near my house and nothing special, but I'll try filtering like you say and see the results so I know what I can potentially do in the future.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

LimburgLimbo posted:

Should've specified, but this is actually *with* a dead cat on the mic.

oh dang! yeah, if that's what you're getting with a dead cat already then you probably need a larger shield of some sort. i think they make little blimp capsules for lav mics, but i've never used them.

i don't know what access to other equipment you have, but it also might help to use a cardiod mic or something else more directional than an omni so you can point it away from the wind.

good luck!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
be honest, who is using this time to actually *learn* editing

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Anyone have any good sources for learning resolve? I figure I should put some of this working from home time to good use.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MAM salesmen are relentless

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aargh posted:

Anyone have any good sources for learning resolve? I figure I should put some of this working from home time to good use.

I think when I was learning (I'm still bad and learning tbh) I found a fantastic youtube series that was actually put out by Davinci themselves. I'm at work right now but take a look and see if you can find it. Failing that I'd just look up other youtube tutorials and kinda search for things as you come up against barriers. Or ask in here.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I made a custom opening for All Elite Wrestling's weekly show Dynamite. The video quality is pretty bad because I was limited to only using clips I could find on YouTube, but it's my first time cutting something like this to music. Let me know what y'all think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87ENUnKKfM

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So once again I seek to expand my video editing horizons and have run into a snag. I recently picked up a 4k HDR monitor and now I want to start editing my footage in HDR but near as I can tell Premiere (which I've been using) doesn't support displaying HDR while you edit it. This means it's almost impossible to get an accurate HDR grade out of it.

I've heard DaVinci Resolve is much better for this sort of thing but before I drop the money on the studio version I use warp stabilizer all the time in Premiere and I've heard there are issues with Resolve's equivalent. Anyone have options on how Resolve's stabilization options stack up against Premiere and how Resolve is for editing in general? I've heard it's superior for color correction and grading but that it can be a pain in the rear end for editing.

Edit: for reference here's some footage I've edited into HDR in Premiere. Yes, I know it's not right but that's the problem with not being able to tell what your output will look like when you edit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVMMDZqVuw

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2020

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Hi guys, I have a small one minute video that ends abruptly and I would like to extend the last few seconds and maybe add a fade out, but I don't have any video editing software. Can anyone recommend something simple, free, or online that can do this?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FateFree posted:

Hi guys, I have a small one minute video that ends abruptly and I would like to extend the last few seconds and maybe add a fade out, but I don't have any video editing software. Can anyone recommend something simple, free, or online that can do this?

a lot of pro tier editing software have trials

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FateFree posted:

Davinci Resolve is free (for what you need it for), it's an intimidating looking thing but quite simple to add the media, drag it to your workspace, and drag the 'fade' effect onto the end of the clip (and a crossfade for the audio).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm new to Hitfilm Express and video editing in general. I'm playing around with the white balance, contrast, and sharpen effects and have it set the way I want. Is there a way to export these settings so I can bring them back in and apply them to future clips?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm a professor doing online instruction in my aviation classes. I want to make my videos seem like they are YOUTUBE INFLUENCER quality.

I'm using final cut pro. Is there a list of plugins that *the community* is using? I'd like a mix of free and paid plugins because I'm cool like that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm a professor doing online instruction in my aviation classes. I want to make my videos seem like they are YOUTUBE INFLUENCER quality.

I'm using final cut pro. Is there a list of plugins that *the community* is using? I'd like a mix of free and paid plugins because I'm cool like that.

I'd argue it's not the plugins you need to match these people. It's more in your lighting, camera and sound setup and then your understanding of post (ie making it better afterwards). The better you do those 3 things, the less post you'll need.

Hit up Indy Mogul, Aputure and maybe Curtis Judd (all on YouTube) to cover those areas.

The only plugins you maybe should take a look at is Film Convert if you are a beginner at colour and Film Convert Nitrate if you need help matching colour between shots.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Whoops, double post.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 15, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Are there any good plugins for doing titles and text based things?

Those are really more what I was talking about I suppose.

I’m working on the lights portion. As a musician I’ve had an interface and some microphones for awhile so that’s been handy.

Thanks!!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Anyone care to give their input on an artsy music video I've been assembling? I haven't cut anything with any sincerity since two-year film school in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKpR_xUHMM

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anyone care to give their input on an artsy music video I've been assembling? I haven't cut anything with any sincerity since two-year film school in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKpR_xUHMM

It says Video Private, unavailable.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ishamael posted:

It says Video Private, unavailable.

Sorry, I took it down after I made some updates. Here's the latest version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feg6NpJjk64

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Anyone know of a good resource for sound post-production? I've got some basics down re: de-noising and EQ, but for things like compression, normalization, loudness, etc I'm pretty lost.

I also never know what order to do things in, or if it matters. Do I up the gain/volume to the level I want it, then do noise reduction? When should I run my EQ? Those sorts of things.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

dakana posted:

Anyone know of a good resource for sound post-production? I've got some basics down re: de-noising and EQ, but for things like compression, normalization, loudness, etc I'm pretty lost.

I also never know what order to do things in, or if it matters. Do I up the gain/volume to the level I want it, then do noise reduction? When should I run my EQ? Those sorts of things.

I also want to know all of this.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
E: found a more appropriate thread for my question

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 10, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does anyone know how to do a basic morph effect in Sony Vegas 14? Do I need a plugin for that, and where can I get such a plugin? It's incredibly difficult to find information about this for some reason.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Does anyone know how to do a basic morph effect in Sony Vegas 14? Do I need a plugin for that, and where can I get such a plugin? It's incredibly difficult to find information about this for some reason.

Is this what you want? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YykZ5a_R7Gk

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Not to be an idiot, but try "morphing software free pc"in google and you'll find a couple of standalone programs just for that. I remember doing this a long time back, but don't actually the name of the one I used - I just remember it was free and for Mac.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any editors for Windows that can use MKVs?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Its Coke posted:

Easiest way is to run it through handbrake and convert.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Blah app double post.
MKV can also be demuxed into other formats but this isn't straightforward.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its Coke posted:

Best bet is maybe to transcode using handbrake or editready or ffmpeg.

e;fb

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: problem solved

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 21, 2020

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

on big budget stuff it kinda goes like this...

I assume you are talking dialog mostly as you mention noise reduction.

dialog editor -
1. edits out the ticks and spittle and mouth noises (unless wanted)
2. adds noise fill to the mics from the worst angle or mic in a scene.
3. Phase alignment of lav and boom.

Sometimes dx editor will use izotope to get rid of odd material (bird chirps and what not with rx advanced spectral repair)
Sometimes the dx editor will do noise reduction on a clip by clip basis. Capture the noise with learning then process the rest of the dx. Dont push it. Mild is best.

Re-recording mixer.

1. adds more noise reduction as needed
2. adds reverb to match angles and creative reasons
3. raises or lower the volume based on the material.
4. Eqing mics to match adr to match eqing out buzz and hum. Eq can balance the sound of the voice. Something like fabfilter proq 3 has a spectral view that can just show you the peaky bits and what not.

side note... always mix the dialog first. Get that at a comfortable level that is consistent for the material. Mix everything else around it.

if you want to mix things for broadcast or anything really learn about lufs this will address the loudness question.

oh this is my buddies youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/axknickerbocker

he works in the industry and is breaking things down really well for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

on big budget stuff it kinda goes like this...

I assume you are talking dialog mostly as you mention noise reduction.

dialog editor -
1. edits out the ticks and spittle and mouth noises (unless wanted)
2. adds noise fill to the mics from the worst angle or mic in a scene.
3. Phase alignment of lav and boom.

Sometimes dx editor will use izotope to get rid of odd material (bird chirps and what not with rx advanced spectral repair)
Sometimes the dx editor will do noise reduction on a clip by clip basis. Capture the noise with learning then process the rest of the dx. Dont push it. Mild is best.

Re-recording mixer.

1. adds more noise reduction as needed
2. adds reverb to match angles and creative reasons
3. raises or lower the volume based on the material.
4. Eqing mics to match adr to match eqing out buzz and hum. Eq can balance the sound of the voice. Something like fabfilter proq 3 has a spectral view that can just show you the peaky bits and what not.

side note... always mix the dialog first. Get that at a comfortable level that is consistent for the material. Mix everything else around it.

if you want to mix things for broadcast or anything really learn about lufs this will address the loudness question.

oh this is my buddies youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/axknickerbocker

he works in the industry and is breaking things down really well for people.

This kicks rear end.

Finally, a channel that looks to not suck about audio. Big thanks for posting this, was finding it hard to get good quality info about this stuff.