Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
There is an FCP thread that somehow survives being archived in SH/SC but this is really a better place for it if you ask me.

I'm an editor who works in Avid MC and FCP. I love one and after a few weeks pine for the other.

Recently it seems the internet is filled with nothing but hate for FCP. Too many people offended that they have to convert their DSLR footage to a decent format before editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

JimFinlay posted:

I've just upgraded to version 5 of Avid and by default it actually had this retarded tool set activated that forces you to drag and drop the footage. It's easily turned off, but I was a little surprised.

That's hosed up. I'm still on 3.5 over here without any real problem.

I got much faster when I moved away from dragging and dropping and embraced the keyboard. Avid is the perfect tool to learn how to be more deliberate with your edits.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I might be off on this, but I think the best way to do it currently is to edit it natively in Premiere Pro CS5. You don't need to transcode or use an intermediate codec. It creates a 32bit "float" image that gets edited, so the dogma of never editing H.264 gets bypassed. If you have an approved Nvidia CUDA video card, it will even render effects in real time. Seriously, it's pretty amazing if you work with a lot of HD DSLR footage.

You're still accepting generation loss on render or export.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

1st AD posted:

Has anyone set up a Compressor/Qmaster server before? I see old Powermac G5's running around for $200 and am tempted to set a couple up as clusters for rendering. Do you absolutely have to have a SAN to maximize their use, or can you just make sure that each cluster has a copy of all the media?

Just doing a quick cluster is good enough, it'll copy the needed media. A gigabit network is pretty much a must.

Not sure how much those G5s will actually help.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Cutting a concert. If you've got opinions on concert DVDs check out my thread in CineD.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367918

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Premiere is a mess. Give Avid MC a shot, it might make more sense. I don't know of any editor that's node based, some have node like features but video editing sorta requires a timeline.

Editing is just a different animal. Trust me, I'm so helplessly lost in Maya.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Avid DS and Smoke are both node based to a certain extent. Most compositing programs are, Nuke, Shake, even Combustion.

Other than the FX room in Color my only node experience is with Combustion. I thought it was an easy introduction to it, you're not forced to work that way. Shake still gets the best of me, it's good thing I don't have to spend much time there.

butterypancakes fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2010

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
They are h.264. If it's destined for a DVD you could just take it to DV 16x9.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Balzac posted:

Premiere CS5 has native h.264 support. I'd just download the 30-day trial and work from that.

Not for all levels of h.264

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Encore would also work.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Color only has a one point tracker, so you can't track how something scales or rotates. You can add keyframes to a user shape once it's assigned back to your secondary. Adding a keyframe is control+9.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
That seems like a huge over simplification. Watch something like White Christmas and then watch Breathless. They are very different films, only 6 years apart, but it's not the pace of the cut that makes them different. For the most part Breathless is slower.

There are plenty of films and TV shows that aren't cut fast. Bullitt is just as fast as many action films today.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

JimFinlay posted:

I don't think MPEG Streamclip will work with AVCHD unless you either buy Quicktime's MPEG2 decoder (seriously?) or use Quicktime Alternative.

MPEG Streamclip doesn't support AVCHD. Pinnacle HD will edit it.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Maybe I'm assuming the wrong thing. I thought my miniDV doesn't work because its too old to work with windows 7 and figured anything else in the same range would be the same case.

Probably not. As a matter of fact your old camera should work just fine.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
DNxHD is a great option.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Quick question as I'm a complete scrub with aftereffects, but this looks like the thread to ask in:

I've got a shot in aftereffects where a regular tracker was too jittery to stabilize text over some DSLR footage, so I used mocha and it seemed to work fine (the test render in aftereffects looked great).

However, when I render the premiere project that it's part of, the clip looks terrible and jittery again. The premiere project does indeed have the updated AE comp.

What the hell is going on here? For now my workaround is just render in AE and throw that clip into premiere which is kinda wonky.

edit: I'm guessing it has something to do with a tracking comp being used inside the AE comp...?

Are you just dropping the AE comp in Premeire? I see no reason not to just render out the comp. DNxHD is a great choice for this.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
It's happened to me, but it's never caused a sync issue. Most likely it's a drop/non-drop issue. So no info is missing, it's just counted differently. Export OMF from now on.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Your DVD player software isn't de-interlacing on playback, of course you'll see jagged edges. If your TV is a CRT it's interlaced so you won't see any problems, if it's anything else it will always de-interlace. Your DVDs are probably just fine. If there was a field order issue or real tearing you'd most likely see it on the TV.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Page 688 of FCP's manual disagrees with you. Progressive material should be set to none, in my experience it doesn't matter if you're on a progressive timeline.

EDIT: That could be part of OP's problem. Make sure your sequence is set to "none". If it's 29.97 then Compressor will create fields, if it's 24 you can just make a progressive DVD and let the player do a soft 3:2 on TVs.

butterypancakes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 16, 2011

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
REDCODE demands a thought out and established workflow. It gets better, like in a lot of things don't expect your first try to be perfect.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
ProRes 4444 and LT are included with FCP 7.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

bassguitarhero posted:

I just do it manually, but then I never have all that many subtitles to make. I've done them in English & Japanese for videos up to 10 minutes long by just using the text option in Viewer and, for me, it's such a small chunk of time out of the total editing process that I haven't really bothered to look up alternative methods.

You mean just using the text fx to do open captions? Or do you know something I don't know?

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
It doesn't look like it's ready for the office, but if my MBP wasn't so old I'd get it for home in a heart beat. I can't wait to play with Audition and the Magnetic Timeline. Hopefully it doesn't take them long to update v1 with XML/OMF export and Multiclip timelines.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

mayodreams posted:

Today has validated THREE years of my campaigning that we should switch back to Avid because Apple only cares about iDevices. To quote Dr. Ian Malcom: "Boy, do I hate being right all the time."

Yeah, they only care about iDevices, that's why they spent lots of time and money rewriting FCP from scratch. It'll be updated, if it doesn't work for you then use 7. My main client still has 6, it's fine.

Not sure why people are so disappointed, it's not ready, so don't use it yet.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

FLX posted:

Seriously? They announced the next great editing suite and specifically NOT an "iMovie Pro" product, yet they seemed to have released exactly that.

Why is it iMovie Pro? Because it looks like iMovie? Because it can't export an XML? Ever tried to get a decent EDL out of Premiere?

You can't tell me that Clip Connections and the Inline Editors aren't vast improvements over FCP 7. Or that background rendering won't be copied by every other editor in the coming years.

It's a total rewrite, that's the real advantage. Adding a few features to 7 and putting it out for $1000 would have lead to more users on day 1, but QT and FCP 7 are on their last leg. Something had to be done and Apple took the time to do it. Even if they wait a year to add things like XML and OMF export and even then if you have to pay another $300. You've still got a new editor on the most modern code base out there for half the price of FCS.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

magiccarpet posted:

Instead, HUGE pieces of the software were removed.

I think you mean "have yet to be added".

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

magiccarpet posted:

If that was the case, they should be telling people this. The lack of communication from Apple is frustrating.

It's been like 3 days. I don't know about you but my work has been getting done just the same since Wednesday.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

magiccarpet posted:

I put things on HDCAM SR tape when finished and need an external monitor for color correction. So I don't use this product.

Is this some sort of dick measurement? I don't care.

Your workflow doesn't all ready include some sort of real finishing software? Automatic Duck your way on over to that.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

thunderspanks posted:

More on the "FCPX is really imovie" bandwagon (just emailed to me by our senior video editor) http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/shullfish/story/proof_that_fcp_x_is_really_just_imovie_-_directly_from_apple/

The dumbest thing I've read in a long time... and this last week on this side of the internet has been nuts.

Apple will fix FCP X. If you're really into knee jerk decisions go ahead and jump ship.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
QuickTime or x264 if you're feeling fancy to an h.264 MOV then use QT's MP4 with the "pass-through" option to make it an MP4.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
The passthrough option will not re-encode the video, it just changes the container. Your settings should be made to spec when you make the MOV.

QuickTime h264 can't do anything higher than L 4.1. 8Mbps is lots of bandwidth, you could get away with less.

I often use a version of x264 that can be used like any other QT codec. As long as you start with the "component" preset and don't gently caress with anything other than the framerate, bitrate and maybe adding a gamma tag, it should play everywhere. You can definitely get yourself into trouble if you play around with all the settings. The results are faster than QT's h.264 and higher quality.

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm using Canon HF200 and a Canon HV30 which I set to shoot at 24p. The HF200 is just drag and drop clips and I captured the HV30 footage over firewire. When I drop it into a premiere timeline, it's telling me that the clips are 29.97 fps? Is it really not recording at 24 fps?

There should be a capture preset for HDV 24, it will remove the pulldown on capture. Are you sure you shot HDV, not DV? I guess I've never had a problem with FCP recognizing the correct frame rate when capturing HDV.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

1st AD posted:

The HV30's implementation of 24p is really atrocious and you shouldn't use it, and there are no flags set on the tape that tell your NLE what fields to throw away either. Not the same at all as the 24f mode on the XHA1.

Good to know. My HDV experience is almost all XHA1s, so that was my line of thought.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
The way I understood it was that Compressor 4 is the bridge between FCPX's AV Foundation underpinnings and QT Kit, which lets you use all the codecs you're used to. So, most of the functionality is probably the exact same.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

1st AD posted:

http://imgur.com/7SiqC

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? I've had random glitches due to Lion + the Radeon 6970 2gb card, could this be why Color fails to display a proper proxy image here?

What format you working in? I have also heard about random graphics issues in Lion.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

1st AD posted:

It's pretty annoying that Apple would ship a major OS release with some obvious problems that affect a huge portion of their user base.

It happens. I think you mentioned buying a new Mac, that probably had 10.7, but otherwise get used to waiting a long time to upgrade your OS. Avid actually got their update out really quick this time... yesterday I think.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
I've been using Pond5 quite a bit lately, good music and cheap. I've gotten a few tracks from this guy https://www.pond5.com/artist/AudioQuattro

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Fedex a hard drive.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

1st AD posted:

I'm looking for a long term, redundant, and expandable storage solution for managing videos - about 50-70tb of new media for each year. What are my options here?

Sounds like you're in SAN territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Unless you have rolling shutter problems Mocha works great. The Foundry's Rolling Shutter plugin works all right, but it's as expensive as you'd assume.