Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
This is a crosspost from the quick questions thread in the AV Arena. I would really appreciate input.

cptInsane0 posted:

I have a question that can hopefully be quickly answered.

I am making a software training video that requires me to capture video from my screen, do some voice-overs, and then put the video onto a DVD. I am using Screen Virtuoso Pro to do the captures, and Adobe Premiere Elements to do the editing.

When I capture the video with screen virtuoso, I have tried many different codecs, all in the .avi container. Most of them look excellent when I am viewing them.

The problem arises when I bring the video into premiere elements. The quality takes a huge hit before I even do anything. I thought AVI was supposed to be the native format to bring into Premiere. I have tried it with divx, xvid, and the FM screen capture codec that comes with screen virtuoso. All of them look great when I watch the files directly.

I have also tried converting the files to .mpg, and .wmv. Doing that works for the little web-based videos I need, but this training video is going to be played on a 56-inch 1080p Television. I don't really need it to be high-def, but at least DVD quality would be nice.

What codec should I use to capture the screens, and how should I proceed from there? If screen virtuoso is not how I should be capturing things, is there anything else I could use that would be better suited for my needs?

I appreciate any help. This project has to be done really soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I ended up capturing the video in xvid at 1280x720, rather than 1440x900, used the xvid codec, and then converted it to wmv9 when I was done in elements. The preview in elements still looks weird, but the final product looks fine, and I will just play it from a computer instead of making a DVD.

However, Fraps is not a bad idea. I don't care if it captures full screen as long as it ignores my second monitor. Premiere pro is very nice, and I may dick around with the trial in my spare time, but elements should be fine for my purposes at work. (splice clips together, add titles and voiceovers)