Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I've been editing using Final Cut Pro both through school and an internship with a local entertainment company. I spent about a week with Avid in one of my classes and was really terrible at it, however I know that it's a part of the industry standard so I feel that it's wise to be able to use it proficiently

My dilemma is that I would like to purchase an editing software to learn more, and get better but I can really only afford one. Should I go for Final Cut or get Avid.

edit: also why is final cut $900 with student discount and Avid only $300. drat you Apple!

Peacebone fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
those looking to buy Final Cut might want to wait on Final Cut X. Though I wonder if the price tag indicates that it doesn't carry everything that studio has but I hope I'm wrong.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/13/final-cut-pro-x/

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Question:

I interned with a guy writing for a local TV show and helping assist with production a in August for three months and didn't really have that great of an experience (Didn't get paid either).

He emails me asking if I want to edit some reality TV shows he's trying to pitch out to networks. $150 per episode. I think this is on the cheap scale, but then again I don't have that much editing experience.

My question is how long do you think it would take to edit a (30-45min) episode and is this a super lowball amount of money to be paid to do it?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
This is what I assumed and I just declined. Thanks for the feedback.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I've been editing a project in Premiere Pro CS6, and during the editing process Premiere CC came out. Should I finish it in CS6 or move to CC? Also, not sure if I'll lose some things by doing this. Only advantage I can see is the audio editing / better implementation of Speed Grade.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Quick question on editing DSLR footage in Premiere: Will I see a performance boost in editing if I convert all my files to Pro Res before ingesting into Premiere. I know Premiere handles DSLR footage natively, but I'm also on a Late 2008 MacBook Pro so any performance increase I can get would be worth it. I've read that H.264 isn't best suitable format for editing with.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

1st AD posted:

It depends on what you're editing, I slapped a SSD into my 2009 Macbook Pro and editing is a lot snappier now. I still really can't throw any effects onto the DSLR footage, but just straight cuts work just fine.

One important note - despite Premiere, FCPX, etc. being able to handle native H.264 footage, you end up paying the render tax eventually. Renders on ProRes material are way faster than native DSLR footage.

Good to know, and yes I got a SSD in there as well and it seems to be more on throwing effects and stuff on footage like you said.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking to upgrade my machine. 2008 unibody macbook pro is sluggish with anything slightly graphic intensive. I just can't decide if I go for the latest rMBP 15" or top of the line iMac. I know the iMac will be a better performer but I for some reason want portability. My current machine is a 2.0ghz core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram so I'm thinking anything will be a significant boost. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other? I do freelance entry level - intermediate editing on music videos, short films, local commercials, and personal projects.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
In Premiere CC, anyone else getting their rendered preview files to not link back up when reopening a saved project? Googling around this still seems to be an issue, and I tried the save in an empty sequence trick, but that didn't work.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I have 60fps 720p footage that I need to mix with 24fps 1080p. Is it best if I just make the video 720p, or will upconverting to 1080 not look that bad?

Also, best way to do this? Working with Adobe CC. Set a sequence to what I want to output and then convert from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Deliverable will be on the web like YouTube, Vimeo. For a music video..60fps was shot with the song sped up twice as fast. About 50-60% of footage will be 60fps 720p so I think I'm just going to downscale to a 24fps 720p timeline.